Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-09-2006, 01:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up Hey all, shaking it up a bit and starting Body for Life, for WOMEN!, on Monday.....

I came across the book at the library and was so surprised that I could read it in 1/2 day. Usually any of these fitness books I can never get thru bc I just zone out and can't stay focused. I had seen Dr. Peeke from the Nat'l Body Challenges and thought she was interesting. Let me tell you, reading this was like sitting across from her in her office. She tells it straight in a conversational tone.

I had the BFL book and journal from BPhillips when that came out. The eating was a complete nightmare, unless you have a partner preparing your food each day - I think if you are working ft, traveling, and taking care of wee ones, there is just no way. I would find myself in the basement trying to figure out just what I was suppose to be working out on for that day. Ugh - if it takes you 10 minutes to figure it out each time, forget it. I was very happy to see Dr. P's book recommending a Minimum of 30 min cardio about 5x/week for best results (she says 3 is doable) and weight splits which are SO much more manageable and understandable for me. The layout of the book and formatting of the exercises just worked well on the female eye I guess. And everything she discounts about the original plan bc she KNOWS the woman's life is so complex, I really appreciated.

So as I was reading this, I was wondering, I wonder what MEL THINKS ABOUT THIS PLAN. Luckily for Mel, I searched the forums before having to ask her and found several posts from February. So I feel confident starting it now, and hey Mel, I'm finally understanding what my major muscle groups are now, thanks to this book!! (DUH, I don't think I was working most of them before, maybe 2?? )

So, while I still don't have the time to log my daily food and exercise, I do understand what I need to do, and will definitely be logging my 4-week status updates and doing the clothes-o-meter every week before weighing in.

This all seems so straightforward! Maybe I'll even drive over to Bethesda and have an office visit with her (but I have a feeling she doesn't take insurance or come cheaply!)

Anyway, anyone out there doing the Women's version currently? Anyone wanna start??
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:48 AM   #2  
Mel

Hey Fran! Great plan! Let us know how it goes

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #3  

Hi Fran,

I think I'll join you. I'm needing a little more structure than usual these days, and I think I need to make a committment to something definite. So count me in
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #4  

Default Great! Join right in! Do you already have the book too?

I start tomorrow with 30 min minimum cardio, for which I will do 45 min. on the treadmill. I went thru and picked my weight workouts today, 2 for each body part, so I'm ready to do that on Tuesday. I'm excited!! 12 weeks is not far away!!
Old 04-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #5  

Yep, I bought the books months ago. I think Pamela Peeke is wonderful; I especially liked the first half of the book. I've followed a variation of the BFL eating plan for quite awhile and I've been exercising somewhat consistently. The key words in that sentence is are "variation" and "somewhat: So, tomorrow, I, too, shall start my day on the treadmill, and afterwards, I'll do some ab work and some stretching. I haven't figured out meals, but I have a kitchen full of tuna, cottage cheese and oatmeal, so I should be just fine. DH has instructions to market for lean proteins, fruit and veggies and, bless his supportive heart, that's what he'll do.

Tuesday will have to be my "off" day because I'm due to be in Indianapolis by 8, and it's a 60- to 90-minute drive, depending on the traffic. Wednesday I'll do weights, and Thursday I take a 45-minute water aerobics class. It's nice to have a plan.

This time, I may even try to take some pictures!

Cheerio.

rrg
Old 04-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Robin and Fran - I've just been rereading this book, and I could really use the challenge. I've been doing the same old same old for several months and getting - not surprisingly - the same old same old. We're leaving on vacation Tuesday through the end of the month, but I'm looking at May 1 for a beginning date. 12 weeks would take me through July. Hope you both do well.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #7  

Pat,

We'd love to have you. Tell you what ... I'll save a place just for you.

Fran, it's Day 3 ... how are you doing? For some reason, the first three days are usually the most trying for me, but this time, I've just glided through it. Clean eats. Lots of exercise. Breaking old habits; even giving up my fave protein shakes at breakfast in favor of egg whites and oatmeal (really filling, but more time-consuming). I'm looking at new Pilates tapes. Totally groovy. Let us know how it's going
Old 04-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #8  

You know, I'm not sure what I was thinking by starting this during the kids' spring breaks - while I was still trying to work from home to be with them!! I guess I thought it would be easier w/o having to worry about making lunches and getting kids on the bus and homework, but I was wrong. Back to insane challenges of trying to keep tabs on them and keep them entertained while trying to work -- which basically means, no time for me. I am going to start next week on Monday and be one week behind you. I think this is the first time I've even gotten to the board this week - sigh!
Old 04-14-2006, 12:51 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Sounds good Fran, because you probably noticed I'm not even starting til May 1! And I've committed not only here, but to my friends and DH, so as not to back down. I'm also aiming for as close-to-clean eats as I can find on my vacation, though since there are group meals, I don't know what we'll be having, but I can at least aim for lots of fruits and salads, and reasonable sized portions.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #10  

PAT - I may check out my BFL and EFL books this week to recharge myself and start with you on Monday. Just wish I would be coming home from that fab trip to Utah on Monday too.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:25 PM   #11  

I started the Body for Life for Women on Monday and I've stayed with it. I got the DVD as well and it's been a big help for me, too. I suffered a back injury 3 weeks ago and the DVD made things a little easier and structured for me. I've got the book as well and I'm re-reading it, too. Can I join your group for some support??

Tomorrow is my weigh in day. I've given up a lot for this life change - boy do I miss Pringles and pop!!! I think cutting this out will make a big difference in my life.

Cyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 150.6/123/120

Ok I am in middle of readign this book and I think I will start some where around the 1st of May too. I was not thrilled with all the exercises but they will be incorprorated in I am sure, I like my big old bar for bench and a few other things and doesn't seem like many people use them. But I can do some of the others. Anyway want to read the whole thing first then get a good start. Good luck to all!
idamomma3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:26 PM   #13  

Howdy and welcome to Idamomma and Cyl53; we're very glad to have you

I'm starting Week 3 and loving it. Didn't get quite all of the exercise in last week, but eating is clean and this morning I did a terrific LBWO, which I expect to start feeling tomorrow Last week, I ordered new Pilates DVDs, and they arrived Sunday, so I'm good to go!

I work at a university, and this is the time of year when things go nuts, so I may not be able to check in as much as I'd like. But I'm with you in mind, body and spirit.

How anybody else doing? Fran? Sugar Cube?

This is totally cool and I'm

Cheers!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:32 PM   #14  

I had a very good day today. I ate a light breakfast and snacked healthy. I drank lots of flavored water...still weaning off of pop. I'm not having a bad time of it, though.

I did stay away from the many snack items we have at our office (mostly Little Debbie Cakes).

When I got home, I did a 40 minutes Lower Body workout and I feel pretty good. My back isn't bothering me as some of the stretches have actually helped me, I think.

I've completed week I and I lost 3 lbs. I nearly fell over. Here we go for week 2.

Cyl
Cyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:47 AM   #15  
Mel

Cyl!!!!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote