Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Request: One more nudge...

... or a swift kick onto the mat!

Tomorrow night, I begin the weight training classes (2x week, one hour classes). Instead of being excited, I've got the jitters. Work has been crazy and promises more of the same (that way, this time each year). The irony is that exercise will only benefit the upcoming schedule, yet I actually considered postponing this until the summer.

The little inner voice (along with my daughter's wise counsel) beckons me not to cop out now. And I'm getting all "girly" in my head ie: what should I wear, what if I'm the oldest student (like all my other classes - lol).

I'm so sincere with encouragement for other beginners yet I shortchange myself of the same support.

While I'm a bit embarassed to even admit defeat before I start, I figured if I posted this, it would make me accountable.

Thanks everyone,
Jean <----------- off to re-read the "sticky notes"

Edited to add: Had a bright idea to double-check school calendar; the class begins Thursday ;-P

Last edited by Ready2BThinna; 01-16-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Ready2BThinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #2  
Mel

Don't put it off! It will do you a world of good, and you'll probably find that it's FUN

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:57 AM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

And don't forget, age and wisdom beat youth and beauty every time!

Go - you'll love it and it will do so much good to alleviate your tension/stress and make you feel GOOD.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:43 AM   #4  

Action comes before motivation. Just go in and do it. Even if you are the oldest there, they will probabely just think "I wish my mum would have the spunk to do this"

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

I definitely know exactly how your feeling because that was me last week. I bit the bullet and went, and guess what... I had so much fun!

You can do this, and your body will be loving you for it too.
BeatlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Hey Jean, go for it! I'll be 45 next month -- I love weight lifting -- and I see all different sizes/ages of people in the weight room of my gym. When I get too intimidated, I just focus on what I'm doing and let everything else fade away.
elmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:45 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat
And don't forget, age and wisdom beat youth and beauty every time!
Right on Pat

GO GO GO GO Thinna

You'll love it... Think of how bad you'll feel telling us if you have to come back with some "excuse" that you didn't go...huh , huh , huh ? NOW GO !!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:42 AM   #8  

Smile

Amazing! Not one of you *know* me outside this cyber realm, yet each post was EXACTLY what I needed to read, precisely speaking to what encourages me.

Thanks a bunch, every-sweet-body! I'm going in there tomorrow evening with a smile and willingness to learn.

Hugs,
Jean
Old 01-18-2006, 07:53 AM   #9  

GET TO THE GYM!!!

It will help you deal with stress and have more energy!!

As long as you can still move, you are young enough to lift!!!
Harleybabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #10  

What a great opportunity, getting to start this class during your stressful time at work! I find that working out helps me so much in the stress dept. If I haven't worked out for a while, I can definitely tell by how stressed out I get!

I know you'll love your class! Oh, and at my gym, there's more "older" people there than younger people. I just think it's so awesome that they're really trying to take care of themselves!

Let us know how it goes.
hellcatjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Maybe try our little challenge. It's just for one day.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73345
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:40 AM   #12  

Talking First Class was Fun-tastic!!!!!!

Hey Guys,

Thank, thank, thank you all for the encouragement!Thursday evening was my first class and it was great

Some students came to class not dressed for a workout and the teacher gave us all the option of filling out paperwork, receiving the course outline and leaving early, or, those who were in workout clothes could stay and get started.

First thing, he suggested was about 10-15 cardio to warm up but cautioned not too much to get too tired. Then he slowly introduced a few machines to work the upper arms, shoulders, triceps, and two machine for the (inner and outer) thighs. He gave us each two, 5lb free weights to start.

I met two other women (predominantly a male class) who are also getting into lifting. They are very conscientious and have good humor, making the orientation a lot of fun. The hour went by very quickly.

The teacher gave us cards (similar to what they have in the gym) and asked us to think about WHY we want to lift weights, as he believes it will keep us focussed "through the journey, not just the destination." He will then design a program around whatever it is that we set as goals (weight loss, strength training, etc.)

I'm so pumped!!! (pardon the pun) A business commitment is cutting into one of my classes next week, but was advised that I can make it up another night - that this delighted me indicates how much I'm looking forward to my next class.

Thanks again, everyone. As time goes on, I'm assured I'll be able to actually provide the proper names for the machines, weights and muscle groups

Have a great weekend!
Jean
Old 01-21-2006, 02:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

I'm so glad that you went and enjoyed yourself.

Keep up the excellent work and let us know how wonderful your doing!
BeatlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #14  
Mel

Fantastic, Jean! I'm really glad you went, too. By the way, I'm 51 and STRONG Your weight now is about where I started.

Enjoy the classes

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:42 PM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Yay Jean , so glad you went... Keep us posted on your progress...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote