Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-18-2006, 04:24 AM   #16  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks, Ilene. That makes good sense.

I like 'being' taller. When I was at school, 5' 4.5" was pretty average here in the UK. Generalising wildly, North Americans and Germans seemed much taller, even huge. But now, almost everyone younger than me seems so tall. (It can't really be true, but it sometimes seems like it. )
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #17  
Working My Way Back Down

LOL, SB! I am 5'4", and the tallest woman in our family - both sides - from my generation back (i.e. my cousins, mom, aunts, grandmothers, etc) My nieces however, are all over 5'7" and I suspect their children will be too. I may feel taller when I'm thinner, but I still have to buy petite pants.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #18  

Great stories. These are inspiring. When I stepped on the scale and was 217 I was so grumpy that both me and hubby agreed I should weigh very sparingly! So these little milestones are what I look for. I have to weigh on Friday and I'm a bit petrified. I've been working hard for almost a month. Here are my milestones.

I tried on my Christmas dress yesterday and it was looser and the arms weren't nearly as tight.

My jean jacket wasn't at all uncomfortable to wear.

I got a step workout and breezed through begginner and intermediate (although being a clutz I did fall once).

Today is a "fat" day. I feel fat, I only see fat in the mirror. I feel my stomach when I sit down and it's grossing me out. But that too is motivating! I just have to keep remembering my little victories and that there are cute jeans in my closet just waiting for me to lose weight.

Last edited by Yoyonomore; 01-23-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Yoyonomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #19  
She

Just wanted to say what a lot of you guys already know, this lifting weights and eating clean stuff really works!

I’ve only lost 10 pounds since November, but I’ve gone down 2 sizes and am now a size 8. I weigh 149 and usually have to weigh around 130 to get into an 8, so I would call that a tremendous victory. Better yet, I couldn’t even get the 8’s up over my hips January 1st and today they are a perfect / comfortable fit! It’s amazing what one short month can do! So all you ladies / gents that are struggling and feeling discouraged, don’t give up, you’re hard work really will pay off.

~Julie
She is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:09 AM   #20  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm counting my blessings today because the scales have really made me blue and I know it's not the only thing but the tape and the BF% haven't moved either

Sooooooo since 31st Dec 05 I have

1) lost 1" from my waist
2) lost 1/2" from my thigh
3) Increased my maximum running time from about 5 minutes to almost 36!!
4) Increased my Deadlift by 10lbs
5) Increased my squat by 10lbs
6) Increased my bench by 10lbs
7) Increased my db lateral raise and bent over lateral raise by 2.2lbs
8) Increased my concentration curl by 5lbs
9) Increased my lying triceps extension by 5lbs each db
10) Increased my dumbbell flye by 2.2lbs
11) Increased my dumbbell row by 5lbs
12) Increased my bent over barbell row by 35lbs! (something tells me I didn't start out high enough!)
13) Cut down bread/processed carbs to only 1 portion a day.
14) Increased my fruit and veg intake to about 6 portions a day.

How can I do all this and yet my body is still the same? WHY? I feel like just eating cake because all this effort isn't producing the results I really want!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:29 AM   #21  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

Ok, I have one. At least to me it's an NSV!

First off, though, I was finally, officially diagnosed yesterday with fibromyalgia. My doctor suspected it about 2 months ago and put me on cymbalta, which has helped tremendously, and Requip for restless leg syndrome. I also have plantar fascitis (heel spurs) but that's another story. Anyway, it's nice to finally have a diagnosis. I have lived with pain for so darn long now, and I'm almost 41 (tomorrow is my b.d.). With the meds, I feel like I get another shot at life. So, I've been working out, going to Curves, doing my TaeKwonDo (my husband, son and I signed up back in August (for them) and September (for me)), walking, etc. I have plans to walk a 5K in two weeks!

Ok, so, now for my NSV. I passed my belt testing for my next belt in TaeKwonDo. I am currently an orange belt 7th Grade Decided and will receive my yellow belt 6th Grade decided on Saturday at the graduation ceremony. My husband and so passed too and they will go from 6th Grade yellow to 5th grade camoflauge.

For me, this is a huge accomplishment! If someone had told me even a year ago, that I would not only be taking TaeKwonDo but loving it and doing well at it, I would have thought they were nuts! Me? No way. Too overweight, too much pain and fatigue. Just can't do it. If they had told me even 5 years ago, when I weighed 285 lbs and didn't do anything (this was before so much fibromyalgia pain, when I actually could have been exercising and doing something with my life, but was stuck in a bad marriage at the time), I would have laughed at them to their face! Absolutely no way. Exercise wasn't even in my vocabulary. Now, it's a daily event and I'm very proud of myself for achieving this victory!

Can't wait to do the 5K in two weeks. That's walking 3.1 miles!!!Eeks! I haven't walked that much yet, all at one time, but I'm working up to it, a little bit every day. So, we'll see. If only my darn feet didn't hurt so much! But I just received the heel seats that I ordered to help with that problem. So far, they seem to be helping, but it takes a few weeks for the body to adjust to them. We'll see how it goes...

Great job everybody!!
Kathy
Merritt Island, FL
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #22  
Ilene the Bean

Kathy and 2F -- Those are Great NSV!!!

2F -- No fear one day you will step on the dreaded scale and it will have suddenly gone down. You're doing everything right AND look at ALL those lost inches and weight training gains ... AWESOME results IMHO!!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #23  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Kathy, well done on the belts

I have new NSVs!

Well I forgot to post on Friday that I can do the side splits! On my left side... It's well crazy because my right side used to be the most flexible, but now... it's the left! I can also do great side kicks with my left but my right is pants!

So splits... and I ran 5K today! Yahooooooo! In sub 35 minutes! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh and an SV... down a pound if it's not a fluke! Motivating me to keep on track with all the good stuff! Huzzzah!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Hey everybody, so for anyone out there who is struggling to get started again or is wondering if it is worth all the hard work, I just wanted to share with you some Non-Scale Victories I received today! My company had a mini-health fair where you could go in and get tested, and I got some amazing results. I was hoping to see some improvement over the last test results I had, with all the soy shakes and exercise, but my reality exceeded my expectations. It was a win-win this week, the scale went down, but even these NSVs made me feel even better. Something about the day too - more people smiled at me, said hello, or initiated conversations. Either everyone was super happy it was Friday (possible) or, maybe just maybe, I have more energy in my step, am walking a little higher, and I was probably walking around with a goofy smile on my face all day after seeing these numbers! So, I just had to share. Ladies, it is SOOO worth it!!! (Plus, I have to retire the pants I wore today, they were falling off! It was my official send off for them, and how appropriate to wear them to the health fair.)

--
Lost since Dec. 7: --- 22.4 lbs ---

Dec. 7 Feb. 17
Cholesterol 237 181
BP 140/90 122/86
BF 48% 37%
Glucose 76 (under 120 is good)
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:26 AM   #25  
Mel

Congratulation! Health and feeling bettis is really what it's all about, isn't it? ('tho smaller pants are a very nice side effect!)

kikatbahr- I don't know how I missed your post! I'm glad the cymbalta is helping you. You've made tremendous progress I have fibro also. It is hard to keep going through the flares, but in the long run, you'll actually feel better if you keep moving and eating healthy.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:54 AM   #26  
She

Default Update

Quote:
It’s amazing what one short month can do!
I said it on February 2nd and I'll say it again today I tried on and bought my first pair of size 6 jeans yesterday! That means I'm down another two sizes in only a month!

I'm loving my new lifestyle and all the healthy (not to mention cosmetic) rewards I'm reaping from it. Thanks to all of you for inspiring me and giving me the knowledge I need to be successful. I've really learned a lot since I started lurking here in November.

As an aside, I'm also down 5 lbs to 144.

~Julie
She is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #27  

I bought jeans the other day, and bought a size smaller than I normally do! True, I tried on the size I usually get, also, and it fit almost the same, but who cares? The smaller one fit, so I bought that one, of course.

I need to take my measurements and have Dh take a picture of me. I haven't compared to my first picture yet, and I'm anxious to see if there's any change.
hellcatjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #28  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Julie - two sizes!!

Hellcatjill - the smaller size??

Thanks, both of you. I need the encouragement at the moment. I need to know it is possible!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #29  

Weird NSV alert!!!

My inner fat chick is still alive and well. I was in the gym in our abs area and there were two very fit guys, about 19 or so, standing waiting. One came up to me, and my inner fat chick screams "see, you're kidding yourself, they want you to move so they can do some proper exercises"

Ok so fit guy says, "I hope you don't mind me asking, but can you show us some ab exercises, coz you really know what you're doing with abs"

So I gave them a circuit of about 5 or 6 exercises, for upper and lower abs, back, obliques etc. And gave them some tips. They commented on how lithe and fit I am, and that my little circuit killed them!!!

This is the girl who was terrified of the gym, who never spoke to anyone and skittled in and out as quick as she could!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I didn't eat any of the assorted forbidden food items that Bozo brought over. I told AJ that if she wanted her dad to get her treats then going forward, get just enough for her and that's it. She took the rest of them to school this AM and shared with her classmates.

Go Tiki! Go Tiki!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote