Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #1  

Post Does Genetics Make It Impossible?

Hi all!

I'm a 50 year old who has just begun weight lifting and cardio workouts. I joined the YMCA and go there everyday but Sunday (gotta have at least one day off!!!!) I begun 5 weeks ago and gained weight or stayed the same the first 3 or 4 weeks. I have finally begun to see a weight loss and my jeans are fitting a bit looser too.

My question is this. How much does genetics play in how toned a person can be? Ideally, I would LOVE to end up with a "six pack" but I'm also realistic enough to realize that it may be impossible because of genetics. (I will continue to TRY for that six pack though!!)

Is it possible?? What would help me along??
Thanks!
Pat S
Pat S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

Hmmm its a difficult question and everyone has an opinion on it! I personally think genetics play a huge part in your body shape, ie apple, pear etc and you have to kind of work with your body myself as an apple know that I will never ever have a six pack, but I can have great legs and good arm definition!!
Sounds like you are working hard so Im sure you will see great results soon!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #3  
Meg

Pat, congratulations on starting your exercise program! It sounds like it's starting to pay off for you. I'm convinced that weight lifting is the Fountain of Youth for women our age so keep up your great work.

In reality we all have 'six packs' right now - they're just covered with a layer of fat on most of us. Visible abs are entirely dependent on how low your body fat % is ... for a woman to have ab definition, her BF% has to be in the teens.

Genetics has a lot to do with where we carry fat - some of us are apples and some of us are pears - but genetics doesn't affect how fit we can become. How fit or fat we are is controlled by nutrition and exercise.

So what and how much you eat and exercise is going to determine how lean and fit you become. Really, the sky's the limit!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #4  
Mel

Everyone has a six pack, the question is whether or not they can see it. For a woman to see a six pack, in my experience, body fat % has to be at about 14% or below. At age 50, this is pretty darn hard and considered "underfat". LOL, I love that term! Genetic plays a huge part in where you carry fat. I'm naturally an apple. My legs, upper body and butt get really lean before I can see a 4 pack. But it really is a matter of how hard you want to diet and exercise. Maintaining a visible 6 pack for any woman is a huge challenge. Most fitness models have 6-8 week advance notice clauses in the contracts for photo shoots because very few women can maintain at those body fat levels. I have met a few women who are definite "pears" who have visible abs at high body fat levels, but they are in despair about their thighs and butts.... Very few are ever happy about where their fat wants to settle!

Personally, I'd like mine to settle out in a parking lot, but it has its own ideas.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #5  
Mel

Good answer, Meg! We really are the same person, just two user names and different avatars.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #6  
Meg

Ah Mel ... we really are the same person, aren't we?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #7  
Meg

I'm not typing anything else. This is spooky.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Mel, I'm not as nice as you. I want my fat to settle on the skinny chick that I saw this morning scarfing down a muffin the size of her head. Yep, ALL my excess fat can settle right on her!

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

You two really are the same person. MegMel.

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

If they get fat headed do the become a megalomel?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Everyone has a six pack, the question is whether or not they can see it. For a woman to see a six pack, in my experience, body fat % has to be at about 14% or below. At age 50, this is pretty darn hard and considered "underfat". LOL, I love that term! Genetic plays a huge part in where you carry fat. I'm naturally an apple. My legs, upper body and butt get really lean before I can see a 4 pack. But it really is a matter of how hard you want to diet and exercise. Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Pat, congratulations on starting your exercise program! It sounds like it's starting to pay off for you. I'm convinced that weight lifting is the Fountain of Youth for women our age so keep up your great work.
Awesome answers!! I am really looking forward to seeing more definition and heck, even seeing my hip bones again! I actually started seeing waist definition a couple weeks ago, so I knew that even though I wasn't losing weight, I was losing inches. Nothing more discouraging than to work out and eat right and still not see a loss in weight.

I've got an awesome support system with my hubby and everyone at the "Y". Every pound lost and every muscle re-found is a huge thing and I've appreciated every bit of it so far. I bought a new bathing suit one size too small because I know I've got the motivation to wear it this summer.

Thanks again for all the great replies!
Pat S
Pat S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #12  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique View Post
Mel, I'm not as nice as you. I want my fat to settle on the skinny chick that I saw this morning scarfing down a muffin the size of her head. Yep, ALL my excess fat can settle right on her!

Tiki
TIKI: You find a way to make that work, you let me know!

MELMEG: 14% bodyfat Okay, so when I do get that low, I'll know to take lots of photos because it's got to be a challenge to stay there.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Most fitness models have 6-8 week advance notice clauses in the contracts for photo shoots because very few women can maintain at those body fat levels.

Verrrry interesting.........I would need 6-8 YEARS notice, but good to know they don't roll outta bed looking like that! I am short waisted and have no illusions about every seeing a 6 pack, short of getting complete breast reduction/removal surgery. I think my bottom ribbone basically clicks on the top of my hip bone. At best, there's a 1" gap between them. If I'm yawning.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:28 AM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

When I read the MeGL posts, I had to go back and look at the times and sure 'nuf, they were posted at the exact same time, go figure!! Great minds think alike is what I say

Genetics do play a big part and it's not impossible but improbable? Naw, just kidding, genetics just make it more difficult to achieve that six pack, but I am willing to try and have been trying for 20+ years ... Hey, at least I'm trying ...

Tiki -- I love your way of thinking
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #15  

*stealth post*

Krista at stumptuous.com has a great article about fitness vs. looks here: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=38
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote