3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   LWL 237 Jan 9 - Jan 15 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/72231-lwl-237-jan-9-jan-15-a.html)

Mel 01-09-2006 06:44 AM

LWL 237 Jan 9 - Jan 15

Good Morning LWL :sunny:

Just a quicky to get us started, I'm off for early cardio then clients.
Chest later today.

Food has been spot on! :carrot: (I don't like this carrot, but it's appropriate!)

Have a good one.
Talk later,
Mel

Airegrrrl 01-09-2006 10:30 AM

Well, anyone who looks my way is going to think I'm slaving away on a major speech, which one of my board members is giving this weekend :D but I thought I'd sneak in a quick post.

Catching up ... last week Ellen said, "We really need to work together and remind each other of what we DID do when we start to beat ourselves up for what we didn't do, OK? I am counting on you." My thoughts exactly, Ellen. Thanks for reminding me.

Hi SusanB:wave: When's your daughter's wedding? Is it going to be a big one?

Rabbit, have you tried what I think are called wrist extensions to strengthen your forearms? There's a demo here:

http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Wr...l#anchor263084

It's the second pix down from the top, where the guy has his arm on his calf, palm down, and is lifting a weight. I only use a 2- or 3-pounder to do this. The opposite move is also shown. I, too, have lots of shoulder problems from RSI. I do shrugs (with no weight), and lots of yoga-type stretching to keep my upper body moving.

My trainer at the Y also recommended using cross-body cables, in which you pull a cable from the upper right to the lower left across your body. Let's see if I can find a picture ... (I'm not as good at this as Ilene, Meg or Mel) ... nope, can't find it, but maybe someone else can. Technically, I think this cross-cable machine is designed to work on the back and side of the midsection; it just so happens to work on my shoulders as well. I use very light weight.

Finally, another one I do is similar to the Medial Rotation (Internal Rotation) shown at http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Sh...l#anchor107050

In the picture, the guy is sitting on the floor. I do it standing, and I use a green (the lightest weight) tube. In fact, I use very light weights on everything connected with my shoulder. Hope these help.

Oops .. gotta go. I've been discovered. :)

srmb60 01-09-2006 01:31 PM

Abs today. Does anyone else feel taller and slimmer on abs day? I checked and was surprised to see I still have a roll there. Doesn't feel like it from out here :)
My food's been good too and I've been pretty good about exercise. I'm kind of expecting a weight drop one of these days. Shouldn't do that should I?

Mel? .... maybe we can ask for a dancing something else?

Hi Robin! The princess will be wed on May 13th. And yes my lordy, big! We've talked them down to 175 because that's all that fits in the Legion Hall!

WaterRat 01-09-2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

We've talked them down to 175 because that's all that fits in the Legion Hall!
:lol: Susan! When my niece was married in 1996, she chose New Year's Eve in the Knights of Columbus. My, my, my what a party that was! I swear that everyone she invited came, and of course, they all stayed til midnight! My sister (the mother) wisely decided that part of her gift was a limo to the airport for the honeymoon. No one at the party was going to be in any shape to drive from Cape Cod to Boston at o'dark thirty!

Speaking of dark, we now have over 6 hours of daylight! :carrot: Since we're increasing more than 3 minutes a day now you can really tell from week to week. I love it! :D

Except for my Friday night birthday dinner, my food has been good. I had a rest day yesterday, and am back to the gym tonight for UBWO and some cardio. DH has yoga class so won't be home til after 8 pm. It'll be a late, light dinner for us.

Ilene 01-10-2006 12:23 AM

Hey gang :wave:

Legs today...

Tired now :yawn:

Later all :wave:

4rabbit 01-10-2006 03:04 AM

Hi LWL,

Robin - thanks a lot for the RSI suggestions, I am certainly going to try them!

Exciting day today for me - first an appointment with the company doctor, to see if my medical shape has improved (I'm sure it has) and then off with my sister & her husband to pick up my new car. I'm really excited about the car of course, and especially to driving it home.

I'll tell you all about it later...
Have a great day,
Rabbit

teapotdynamo 01-10-2006 09:42 AM

Hey, LwL!

I had to laugh at myself yesterday. Sunday night hubby and I watched Pumping Iron on a friend's recommendation (it's actually quite an interesting documentary). Can I just say how shocked I was by what a great workout I got last night on UBWO day? :lol: I think I realized when watching the movie that sometimes I don't push myself as hard as I should. Watching the movie and really looking at how the huge men at my gym work out made me want to push harder, and man, did I! I am *s-o-r-e* today, but in a good way. Wow, I wish there were good trainers at my new gym!

Pat, my husband just found out that he's going to Alaska for 2-3 weeks for his job. He's going to one of the islands on the panhandle, so I think it will be quite a bit warmer (and windier/rainer, sadly) than it is where you are. He's excited about the adventure.

Have a great rest of the week, everyone!

BfL_Cat 01-10-2006 11:36 AM

Hello everyone! Just had to pop in to say that I actually lifted today! It's been well over a year since I touched a weight, so I'm pretty excited that I've taken that first step!

I just did a mild chest/shoulders workout, but I can tell already that I am going to be majorly sore tomorrow! But it will be a good sore, long overdue!
Cindy

WaterRat 01-10-2006 12:59 PM

Jennifer - while the temperatures may be warmer, the wind chill will make it feel as cold! :lol: And windy can be an understatement in the Aleutians. My DH once went out to Adak (at the far end) for a 3 day job - came back in 2 weeks, as it was too windy for the planes!

Didn't make the gym last night, so new plan is to go tonight. I did however, get to the grocery store so I have plenty of the right foods, and does lugging 2 30# jugs of kitty litter count for lifting? :) I swear the little devils invite their friends in to use their litter box!

Mel 01-10-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Hey gang

Legs today...

Tired now

Later all

:rofl: yep, that's my post for today!

Yesterday's news is I finally broke my plateau on my bench press and put up 140 for 3 reps. Yipee! That is a respectable enough number above my body weight that I may try another comp this spring. Other trainers keep telling me to try using a bench pressing shirt and I'll get another 20 pounds, but they look so idiotic. :crazy:

Mel

srmb60 01-10-2006 01:29 PM

Legs for me today too. But now I have to go work evenings. I'm pretty sure I'll be sorry about that by about 10 :)

Meg 01-10-2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel
Other trainers keep telling me to try using a bench pressing shirt and I'll get another 20 pounds, but they look so idiotic. :crazy:

Ummm ... Mel? It's not a fashion show, ya know?

All hail the World's Strongest Woman! Your title is back home where it belongs! :queen:

Mel 01-10-2006 01:37 PM

It's NOT a fashion show???? Geez, I had the wrong outlook all these years. And I thought all my old Ohio State Lacrosse t-shirts were so chic!

Mel

srmb60 01-10-2006 01:47 PM

I was gonna say something about that but I couldn't edit my post. If we're worried about what we look like ... do I still have to do squats and deadlifts :D

4rabbit 01-10-2006 01:54 PM

Hi LWL

I picked up my new car today!! TAs the mother of my son's friend said: "Boy, you sure traded up!!!". And I'm planning to continue this way!! I am very proud & happy that I managed this on my own (with help from my sister & her husband of course)

bye,
happy rabbit