Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #31  
Working My Way Back Down

Had a good legs work out last night - which included deadlifts, which, believe it or not, I've never done! THen onto some which was better since my MP3 battery was charged up. Still definitely not my favorite.

Our gym has a notice up that they're going to add spinning! The guy at the desk knew nothing however - not sure even where they're going. "Maybe the aerobics room?" was the answer I got. Aerobics classes at this gym are not well attended - of course, you have to have a premium membership ($10/mo more, but also includes racquetball) - and there are not a lot of them, nor are they well scheduled. I don't know which came first, the poor scheduling or the poor attendance, but I suspect they're on the way out to make room for spinning. I've never tried it, but I suspect I will if it's at a time I can be there.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:31 AM   #32  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Oh Pat, deadlifts! I love them. I use a 17.5kg dumbbell and I'm thinking I'll move up to 20kg soon.

Good news on the pantsometer front. I tried on the smaller knickers (UK pants) today and they're fitting and I'm wearing them. I tried on the smaller trousers (US pants) and they zipped up, and I could sit down in them - but not all day so that's something to look forward to next week! And the scales are moving down too.

2F - excellent work on the trousers too!

Susan - hope you had a good time with Alex. He sounds very exotic. Do tell us more.

rabbit - I'm still extremely impressed that you can pick up your car!!! And, seriously, trading up is so good for the ego, isn't it?

Young Ilene! A bit late but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you had a good day.

Everyone else - hullo and let's just eat clean this weekend.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:17 AM   #33  

Just wanted to let you all know I am around but moving to "lurk" and a few "fly-by" posts for a while. I am in the midst of a shingles outbreak and getting ready to start about 3 weeks of doctors' appointments on the road to MS "yes or no" diagnosis. I know it sounds silly, but I am kind of glad to have this outbreak so I can point to my rash and say "see, this is not all in my head". Well, the rash is actually on my head, but you know what I mean.

Unfortunately, had a full weekend planned with friends and visitng niece, but oh well, will catch them all next time. She works with children and the thought of spreading chicken pox to the little darlings is too much of a guilt trip for me right now. Know I am here and thinking of you all ...
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:32 AM   #34  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenuw
Know I am here and thinking of you all ...
Ellen, you poor thing! Shingles is so horrible. We are here and thinking of you too! Please look after yourself. And good luck with the doc and the MS stuff.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:14 AM   #35  

hi LWL,

Hi Ellen ! Get well soon! Horrible to have chicken pox, so itchy...

Silverbirch - I know it does not soud like much to pick up a new car, but I did have to go about 120 kms for it, and I had to get it from Rotterdam, which is in the very crowded part of our country. Luckily I was out of there before the traffic jams started.

Quiet weekend today: cleaned house & worked on my stereo set. I think I found out what is the trouble: one of the connectors seems tobe faulty, so I'll have to take that apart to check it out. Apart from that, doing a lot of mind work & trying to become more left handed as the right arm ( elbow & shoulder) do not seem to want to cooperate any more.

Have a great day,

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #36  
Working My Way Back Down

Owww, Ellen! I've had shingles and they are sooo not fun! Hope yours are under control now.

I woke up with a migraine (first time in about 18 months!) and so all my plans for the day have gone down the drain too! Darn. But just doing anything that requires much head/neck movement sets me back. Drugs took about 3 hours to kick in enough so the light-sensitivity was gone and I could get out of bed. DH bless his heart brought me coffee (caffeine helps) and made the room as dark as possible. So it's definitely a rest day.

Silverbirch, I was using 12# dbs for the deadlifts, but I'm certain that I can do heavier. I just wanted to work on the form the first time. I can do 15# or 20# in the room I ususally use, or go to one of the the other two areas and get some in between dbs or a bar. The owners of my gym (an independent one) are weight lifters/former bodybuilder competitors so we are well equipped with free weight stuff.

to everyone, very carefully....
Old 01-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Rowing, back and biceps today. I really like deadlifts, Pat. How are your buns today?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:34 PM   #38  
Ilene the Bean

Pat and Ellen get well soon...

My gym buddy Luanne and I worked on legs today for an hours and a half ...OMG we could barely walk down the stairs...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:13 AM   #39  
in development

Just sneaking in before this thread closes.

Rabbit - you and I are being very technical today. I've just mended the computer (reseated the memory cards after a little contretemps yesterday) and IT WORKS. Lucky I had a torch to help out is all I can say.

And ... a non-scale victory! I'm so amazed I think I'm going to start a new thread.

Look after yourselves today, everyone!
Old 01-15-2006, 08:40 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Chest and triceps today ... as per Mel's suggestion. But I'm going to have to go hunting for my notes because I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have done back and biceps one day and chest and triceps the next. Tomorrow I won't be able to move my arms at all!
I'll have to type with my nose!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:27 PM   #41  

Despite my very best intentions, haven't been in the gym in a week aside from the pool on Thursday. So! weights tomorrow! I have my workout worked out in my little notebook, and my duds in the bathroom, ready to go.

I think I'm going to get out my resistence tubes. Awhile back, Meg was good enough to sketch out a tube workout, and I kept it. On those days (like Friday) when it's pouring rain and sleet, and the gym feels like it's on another planet, that seems like a good alternative. But tomorrow, it's supposed to be clear, and I'm taking advantage of it.

Other than that, I have absolutely nothing of any interest to report. Ellen, take care of yourself. Rabbit and Silver, good going on the techie stuff, and kudos to SusanB and Ilene for great workouts, and even greater inspiration. Pat, I'm hoping you're feeling much better today!

And guess what, it didn't get dark until well past 5:30 today.

SPRING IS COMING
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:41 PM   #42  
Ilene the Bean

Oh yes Robin I noticed the later daylight time too, it's a wonderful thang!!

Susan ... I've worked back/bis and chest/tris on back to back days!! It a wondaful thang!! Put a band-aid on your nose for typing ....I know how you feel with your upper body, because my lower body is slowly seizing at the moment from the leg workout Luanne and I did yesterday plus I ran today too, thought it would take the kinks out ... HA! NOT! or maybe it did, so I can only imagine how stiff my legs would be if I wouldn't have run, plus I've taken Glutamine a few times to help the pain, NOT WORKING EITHER!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:43 PM   #43  
Working My Way Back Down

Feeling much better today thanks. I was basically useless all day yesterday - grrrrr. I hate that We had friends over for lunch today so I spent the morning cooking and picking up. We had a nice visit. They don't live far away (25 miles or so) but we haven't seen them since summer.

And it was still light-ish at 4:45 here!