3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Can't Afford Gym Membership Will Free Weights Work (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/71138-cant-afford-gym-membership-will-free-weights-work.html)

chiarij 12-30-2005 11:55 AM

Can't Afford Gym Membership Will Free Weights Work

Is it possible to build a nice muscular body with just free weights? Or is it a Must that I join a gym or purchase a home gym...I don't see gym membership in the budget anytime soon...

chiarij

RobertW 12-30-2005 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiarij
Is it possible to build a nice muscular body with just free weights? Or is it a Must that I join a gym or purchase a home gym...I don't see gym membership in the budget anytime soon...

chiarij

You can build a superior physique with bodyweight exercises, if you really work at it.

srmb60 12-30-2005 12:07 PM

Lordy, I hope so. I seriously could never make myself get ready and go out to a gym. Over the years I've collected all kinds of equipment and I do things at home.
However, at this site .... http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php ...
there are dumbell work outs, work outs with just household objects .... lots of good ideas and laughs.

MrsJim 12-30-2005 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiarij

chiarij

Sure you can!

Check out Krista Scott Dixon's Weight Training for Women website - she has a plethora of ideas...such as:

The Basics of a Home Gym (without spending a lot of buckaroos)

No Weights? No Problem! (using everyday household items).

Some other ideas from moi...

If you have an active www.craigslist.org in your area, check the 'for sale' classifieds - I'm betting you find folks who have weights that have been gathering dust in their garage and are selling for mucho cheapo prices (for example a couple years back we scored a curling bar and about 150 lbs of plates for $20.00 from a Craigslist ad!). Ebay is a good source too *IF* the seller is LOCAL - you can't ship weights via media mail, thus the postage will slaughter your budget big time!

Do you have a Play it Again Sports in your area? Check them out for ultra-low prices on used weights and stuff. Likewise thrift shops if you have the patience to go through them (I'm NOT one of those people...)

As far as gyms go - if you can't afford to join a gym (check out 24 Hour Fitness for example - they usually have very good deals and you can try dickering down the 'initiation' fee) but WANT to work out in a gym setting - check out your local Parks & Recreation Department *or* community college/adult school. You might be pleasantly surprised at what's available out there if you do some research!

4rabbit 12-30-2005 12:11 PM

Yes you can do this with free weights at home. I recommend looking at krista's page www.sumptuous.com to get some info on excercises and programs.

rabbit

srmb60 12-30-2005 12:22 PM

Does this mean that great minds think alike? Or have we all been learning to listen to Mrs Jim?

2frustrated 12-30-2005 12:56 PM

Total advocate of no gym here! :D I'm just generally tight and can't be bothered with the time it takes GOING to the gym - I'd rather just pick stuff up off my living room floor than treck half way across town to pick stuff up off someone else's floor! :rofl:

Also for cardio, what's the point of a gym? Treadmill = running outside, stationary bike (stationary???) = get on yer bike! Stepper = live on 9th flr! Get the drift... :lol:

I also love stumptuous :D I just bought a good strength training book by Anita Bean too, all her books are sound.

chiarij 12-30-2005 02:01 PM

THANKS! you guys, you all was a great help and very encouraging.

trixiepup 01-03-2006 10:14 PM

This week, Target has a weight bench with 150lbs of weight for about $80. It's not super fancy, but it might work for you.

chiarij 01-04-2006 12:40 PM

trixiepup,

thank you I will definitely check it out!!! That would be great.