Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-07-2005, 09:02 AM   #1  

Default Stretchmark prevention question

Any tips on preventing stretchmarks? I just noticed that I am sporting a matching set of fresh ones between my anterior and medial delts as of this AM. I assume that they are occuring because my skin is tightening up from my diet, since I am not currently hitting any big pressing PR's. I am already taing a multi-vitamin and i am thinking of taking vitamin E on top of it.

Will moisturizing the skin help, or is the source of the damage too deep?

I don't particularly mind them but I would like to minimize my scarring if possible.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:15 AM   #2  

There is a cream that you can purchase, I think it is called Mothers Helper, at some maternity stores. It might have vitimin E and Aloe in it (or I could be wrong about that). Anyhow it is suppose to help your skin avoid getting stretchmarks. Well I used it years ago when I was pregnant and then found it for my DDIL when she was pregnant. I didn't get any marks. However, I think it has alot to do with your skin type and how much elasticity you have...
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:40 AM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

First off...I'm posting a link to perhaps the most-viewed thread (or one of the top five, anyway!) here at 3FC:

Weight Loss & Skin FAQ

Even though it's primarily about loose skin...still what the heck...

I know quite a few folks who SWEAR by those 'after pregancy' stretch mark creams (most of them containing cocoa butter). Also, Mederma (a scar reducing gel) is marketed as being effective on stretch marks - but that would be VERY expensive to try out - last time I checked (and it's been awhile) it cost about $22 for a small tube, and the instructions were to apply and re-apply multiple times a day which could be a real PITA, IMO.

You probably have a better shot at reducing the look if you 'get 'em while they're fresh' - with older stretchmarks (white, silvery - like I have in abundance... ) you're probably just wasting your time and money. I think a lot of it has to do with genetics - I know several women who have been preggers and have no stretch marks that I can see, and then there's folks like ME, who have had them as long as they can remember (I can't recall a time when I DIDN'T have stretch marks...I figure I started getting them around 4th or 5th grade, about the time I had to start wearing a bra. )

Anyways...that's my take on it...
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #4  

Thanks. Look like I should make sure i get enough vitamine A,C and E, as well as the micronutrient zinc and moisturize.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #5  
Mel

If you are very upset by them, StriVectin by Klien-Becker, which is sold at high end departments stores, dermatologists, and plastic surgeons does work. It's fairly expensive at $120-130 per tube. I have no idea how long it lasts.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #6  

I am still getting them even with the extra vitamins. Maybe my diet is causing my skin to shrink too fast? Still only on my delts, but my shoulders are probably the most muscular part of my body.

I will step up the moisturizing.