Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-28-2005, 11:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default 1/2 hr of Curves = 1.5 hrs in the gym?

I've been told that the 1/2 hour Curves workout is equivalent to a 1.5 hour workout in the gym. Something about the cardio in between the weights and the hydrolic weights. The quote was: "If you are in the gym and doing it correctly, to work out all your muscles and include proper rest between each exercise it would equal at leat 1 1/2 hrs. With circuit trainng, it is just jammed together. Many advanced athletes use this principle. Of course on a more intense level."

That really didn't sound right to me, but could it be a fact? If so, how?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:22 PM   #2  

Only if you spend an hour changing plates and waiting for equipment.

I would say that the heavier the weights I am using, the more I rest between sets, which can really stretch out a workout.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #3  

I go to curves and I really don't see it as being 1.5 hours at the gym. You do get your cardio and weights at the same time but it's still only 1/2 hour.

My curves says to only go around the circuit 2 1/2 times but I've been doing 3 times and it takes about 45 minutes with stretching.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Um...no.

check out this thread for starters:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60172

Also, according to this article titled "ACE Puts Curves to the Test" (find here ==> http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/curves.aspx ) it doesn't.

Quote:
Researchers found that the total 30-minute Curves workout burns an average of 184 calories, while the 25-minute circuit alone burns 163 calories. "Intensity-wise it's similar to walking four miles an hour [for 30 minutes] on a flat treadmill," says Greany. "So it's a moderate-intensity workout."
If you read the article linked above, the researchers had the study participants refrain from speaking with other members - I know that the franchise is advertised as somewhat of a social club but if you spend more time chatting, that's taking away from your workout and you will be apt to burn even FEWER calories that quoted above.

Quote:
While Porcari notes that the data for Curves is "dead on" with other studies on circuit training, he expects some people will be surprised by the relatively low average total caloric expenditure of the Curves workout. "It might be kind of a wake up call that half a Krispy Kreme donut is all that it takes to negate the effect of a Curves workout," he says.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote