Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-02-2005, 07:27 AM   #1  

Question Just starting, please help me get it right

Hi everyone,
I only started going to the gym 6 weeks ago and i really want ot keep it up,but i'm totally confused about how to get the best out of the time i spend there. The first trainer told me to start with cardio to improve my fitness level.After 4 weeks of that i decided i really wanted to incorporate some weight training (especially after checking out your forum). So i got one of the trainers to show me 4 machines, he told me to do weights and cardio on alternate days.
Today a different trainer showed me some free weights but he said to cut down cardio from 1hr (15mins of tread,rower,Xtrainer and bike) to 35 mins and then do weights.
Now i'm totally confused I know you guys really know your stuff (having been there and done it) So could you please help, what do i have to do to lose weight and get fit and toned? I can go the gym 5 days Mon-Fri.
Many Thanks.
shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Welcome shush! Glad you made it over here. And Very Well Done for joining the gymn. I know that some others will be along in a moment with their two penn'orth but here's a bit from me.

A while ago, the LWL came up with the holy trinity of fat loss: to eat clean, lift weights and do cardio.

For me, eating clean means as our Ilene says 'as close to nature as possible'. So no junk food, lots of veg (and fruit), carbs like brown rice, protein like chicken breasts, cottage cheese, fish with 'good' fats (salmon, mackerel).

Weights and cardio. I've seen the discussion on the UK board about when to do them. The jury's out, really. I think the best way to do them is just however you can do them, and keep doing them. I go to the gymn three times a week. I've not got much time so I do both in the same session: weights first and then cardio. Sometimes I do extra cardio on other days. And I fit in as much incidental exercise as I can (you know, parking at the far end of the car park, walking up stairs not going by lift, etc, etc).

Rest is also very important. That's when your muscles grow.

I think that's all from me for the moment.

Next please!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:43 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

I'm with Silverbirch, I aim for 3-4 days a week at the gym, and do weights first and then cardio. Let me qualify that, I do about 5 mins on the or elliptical to just warm up and get the blood flowing, then I go do my weights (alternate routines for upper and lower body) and then back to the cardio for at least half an hour (that's the ideal plan ). I much prefer free weights to machines.Since you're losing, you need the cardio to help burn the fat off. And the muscles will be there under the fat and will show when it's gone.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:39 PM   #4  

Quote:
A while ago, the LWL came up with the holy trinity of fat loss: to eat clean, lift weights and do cardio.
And I would emphasize that those three are, IMHO, in order of importance. Getting the diet under control is paramount; consuming fewer calories than maintainance is how we lose weight. Lifting weights will keep you from losing muscle while you diet, and a judicious amount of cardio is good for health reasons.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:03 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

AHHH !! The trinity of fat loss, I hadn't thought of that for a long time, thanks for the reminder Silver... And Robert you're right, they are in the order of importance!

Here is Krista Smash's site with some really good examples of workouts for you Shush...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #6  

Thanks Everyone for your input and advice. Maybe now I'll feel a bit more confident in what I'm doing.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh my, Shush, I just noticed the old "jiggle the fat off" machine in your tracker. My mother used to go to a women's workout place that used those plus rollers that went up and down your body as you laid on a padded table. Quite the walk down memory lane!!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:34 PM   #8  

Pat,
That sounds lovely, but did it work?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:08 AM   #9  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Glad we've helped a bit, shush. Keep asking away; we love questions. And come and join us on the weekly thread. You'd be very welcome.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:28 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Shush, it worked about as well as you might imagine! This was, mind you, in the 60's, and as a general rule women just didn't exercise, so it was a big step forward, of sorts
Old 11-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #11  

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

At the gym today i got the trainer to show me how to use the free weights . I found it pretty difficult compared to the machines and i was concentrating so hard on not dropping them on my head (my arms were very wobbly) that i don't think i can remember all the exercises he showed me. Having said that i really felt that i had a good workout and it's something i want keep up.
( i don't know how sore i'll be tomorrow though )