Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-27-2005, 11:44 AM   #16  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

WTG on the shirt Sandy!

Personally I LOVE getting stuck in traffic! Gives me time to sing along like a mad woman to whatever's on the radio! And if you're stuck in traffic you're not doing anything else like working or cleaning the house, or washing up!

No weights for me this week but I'm there with you in spirit laydees! I'm just doing my classes this week before the BIG GRADING on saturday! I'm also going to do some grading practice when I'm not in classes! I do keep saying this but I was lacrossing yesterday so I guess I just have tomorrow to do "extra" practice.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:05 PM   #17  
Ilene the Bean

Sandy -- I had read something similar a while back about waiting in supermarket lineups. You know how there are always some good magazines at the checkout? Well pick one up and read it and then you don't have to buy it but the real bonus is that you don't get stressed about the lineup. Because the line up or the traffic jam won't go any faster because you are stressing over it. My DH also taught me this, he is so easy going that he makes me angry sometimes. Why worry, he'd say, there's not much we can do about it is there? And really there isn't...

Mel -- I find that sometimes when I have been off program for a while, when I decide that I will get back on track, the first few days I keep gaining weight also. Maybe this is a cumulative effect of the bad foods? I dunno but it's a thought ... I did end up only doing chest and triceps yesterday. Today will be shoulders and abs and a run with my running group this afternoon...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:52 PM   #18  

Good Afternoon LWL,

It’s been a good day food wise and I’ve been eating clean long enough now to feel yuck when I eat something off plan. Sunday I made some cookies for the family and couldn't resist them and I really didn’t like the way I felt at all afterwards.

I was up and at the gym at 5:00am this morning, we worked on my chest and tri’s using the stability ball and then I did 20 minutes on the elliptical. When I got home I felt like I wanted to do a little more so I did 3 sets of 15 pushups off my weightlifting bar, I had it elevated about 3 feet off the floor. I can’t do a complete pushup from the floor yet but I keep getting closer, I started having to do them off the wall.

I listen to audio books driving back and forth to work just because of traffic jams. If I get stuck I find I have a whole different attitude if I think about getting to listen to an extra couple of chapters before I reach my destination. The only draw back is when I get to work and I’m not at a good stopping point in the book, I’ve been known to drive around the block a couple of times because I wanted to find out what was going to happen next. (Of course that was before gas hit over $2.00 per gallon.)

TTFN,
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:45 AM   #19  
aka Superwoman!

Kickboxing last night - I think my little busted muscle has healed up ok. So phew for Saturday! I'm also really improving on my back kicks - I was showing everyone else how to do them! Mwahahahahaha! I really need to get some more practice in though. I'm going to rest rest rest tonight but maybe fit in a few minutes kicking when I feel like it! Otherwise just a double class left tomorrow before the big day!

Everthing else is going ok, food is going super! I was going to up my calories this week but I haven't felt too hungry at all at all! I must just come up with a strategy for the weekend!! Any ideas?? I think this Sat might be ok, cos i can take a packed lunch for after my grading, then whatever we do in the evening can be restrained! Don't know what I'm going to do on Sunday so I guess as long as I can be careful and not stray too far away from fitday I should be able to handle it!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:15 AM   #20  

Hi LWL,

Phew!!! I fixed the car. As repairs go it wasn't the worst, just as long as you keep in mind that it isn't over till it's over. Fixing one thing led to having to fix the other...Anyway I replaced 4 brakeshoes and bled the brake system (with help of my 11 year old daughter) and I'm up and running again!!!
Funny how much you tend to take transportation for granted. Once I was down to just having a bike I noticed how much ferrying to and from you usually do, and doing them all by bike is no fun.

So no formal cardio today, but I sweated a lot with the car so I find this counts as well.

Silverbirch, Mel, thanks for the encouragement.
Silverbirch - It is indeed the point of taking time, figuring out how things have to go, plan the steps, take a couple of deep breaths and proceed to follow the plan. You may be interested to know that the car is a vintage Mini Estate. Chock-full of non-metric bolts & nuts and fortunately still simple enough to work on.

have a great day,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:17 AM   #21  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rabbit
You may be interested to know that the car is a vintage Mini Estate. Chock-full of non-metric bolts & nuts and fortunately still simple enough to work on.
Rabbit: very, very well done! I used to be the 11 year old helping with bleeding the brakes - that took me back! I'm a great believer in the agricultural principle with vehicles: not too many moving parts, and easy to work on. Oh yes, that was when I had an old British motorbike and tractors were tractors ... An old Mini Estate, you say? Ah yes! O tempora, o mores!

I digress. You noticed, I expect.

I have given myself the day off from the gymn. My shoulders were complaining with that sick kind of pain. I have work pressing. It's made sense to open up some time to take off the pressure. Now, will that translate into not needing food as soon as I get in this afternoon? That, my friends, is the question. I'll let you know.

Good work, everyone. Keep on doing the right thing, you know it makes sense.

Love, Silverbirch
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #22  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Hi all you loverly LWL! This is a voice from the past.....it's been almost 6 months since I had my knee operated on, and I really fell off the deep end these last few months, in total frustration. But my knee is finally!!!!! healing the way it should, and I've started back with my trainer this past week, so should be back on track and on my way. Because I am still having some pain, the trainer suggested we use the pool at the gym for cardio, and that worked out fine...in fact, I realized how much I like swimming when there's noone in my lane that I have to watch out for. I am even swimming on my non-training days, alternating with the bike and elliptical machine.

So I am so glad to be here again, and will try to read and catch up with what's happening with everyone in my spare time. Hope all are doing well.

Susan
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I've been without a phone line for two days!!!!! I'm gettting caught up today tho'. I'll read and come back and post an update on my 5 day split in just a few minutes.

Hi Artmaker/ Susan. It's good to see you back.

Well, I've been through one complete cycle of the five day split that Mel advised and I like it. The BSB for women talks about putting your mind into the muscle. Being more specific in the areas I'm working is helping me do this. It's good.
My food has been good for a few days. Maybe a little low in calories but I'll work on that.
In just a bit we're off on a wee holiday. I think I'll be able to check in. And I should be able to do some cardio each day. I'm really looking forward to the break.

Be good all. Eat well and move!

Last edited by srmb60; 09-28-2005 at 04:19 PM.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #24  
Mel

Hi ArtmakerSusan So glad you knee is better and that you are back with us!

SusanB- WTG on the split Sounds like it was just the change you needed.

I did a heavy back session this morning and my shoulder is not happy Yesterday's rather intense chest session didn't seem to bother it, so I went all out today also. Big mistake. Tomorrow is supposed to be shoulders At one point, I was think of taking this whole week off from lifting, but every time I try, I can't actually bring myself to stop. Cardio I can find any excuse to stop

Food hasn't been stellar today...my shoulder wanted comfort.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:50 AM   #25  

Hi all,

Still on rest and recreation today, celebrating that I have transport again. I plan to continue to clearing out the attic so i can use it as a home gym. So no formal cardio and weightlifting this week.

I ordered the BSB book, and I am now anxiously waiting amazon to deliver it to my doorstep.

Mel - take care with your shoulder

Siverbirch - I thought a Mini estate would strike a chord of remembrance. As for british vintage motorbikes...my husband has a Sunbeam S8.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
Old 09-29-2005, 08:56 AM   #26  

Just to give you an update: still no definitive answers. Could be one thing or another, but both would make sense for me to drop out of the marathon. I keep waiting to get upset about it, but it is just not happening. I embarked on the marathon training to see how far I could take my body, not to run 26.2 miles. So now I know how far - somewhere between 14 and 16 miles. That is still pretty amazing. So now I can go back to running for joy ... as soon as I get my energy back.

It looks like Oct is full of doctors' appointments and tests, but all the docs have told me to continue working out as much as I am able to. This is really about learning to truly listen to my body and not call myself a wimp if I need an afternoon nap.

So, here is my plan: rest through the weekend (pulled out of a 10-miler), then go back to weights 3x a week and Pilates 2x a week. Cardio on most days and add yoga back in by end of Oct - based mostly on foot ligament. Doctor thinks I may be able to go back earlier if I do elliptical and bike cardio and only run 1-2x a week for no more than 30-40 min. How lucky am I to have a primary care doc who is also a runner? Yay for me!!

Vision is still a problem - hope to have that wrapped up in next few weeks, too. Meanwhile, know I am lurking and thinking of you all. Use my experience to remind yourself how important rest days are. Oh, and Welcome Back Susan. I am back to "Lurk" - will write again next week.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #27  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Ellen and Susan Welcome back... Susan glad your knee is healing well... Ellen hang in there maybe you can do a marathon in a year or two, something to work up to...

Things in this neck of the woods are good... I'm weight training, swimming, running, cleaning house (which I haven't done one darn bit today yet and it's 11AM ) It's a dreary, rainy day, is that a good enough reason to do nada? Ok, I guess I can at least put a load of wash it... TTFN back later
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:42 AM   #28  

Hi LWL,

Ellen - hang in there. I can imagine you have stuck a rough patch now. I admire your attitude. Keep it up!!

rabbit
Old 09-30-2005, 05:57 AM   #29  
aka Superwoman!

Hello! I'm nervous about my grading tomorrow. (read all about it in support thread!) I've just been writing down things that I need to remember like point my toes and keep my fists closed and elbows in and bring my knee in and stuff like that. I'm "thinking" practising!

My back is really hurting and my sciatic nerves are hopping! I hope the Deep Heat will cure them tomorrow!

Oh I want to go home and practice my kickboxing!! It's only 11am!! Cripes! come on day - hurry up!

Back to weights on Monday It might sort my back out!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:11 AM   #30  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

2F - Good luck! You'll be fine. And then all your nerve pain will go away. Bound to.

Tell us all about it on Monday.

Legs this morning. Quick question: what's the benefit in going backwards on a crosstrainer? And, I suppose, what's the benefit in going forwards (other than cardio benefits)?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote