Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-24-2005, 05:49 AM   #16  

Sarahyu - I am 46 years old and I do NOT agree with the "touch of arthritis - this is age - go do something else " approach AT ALL. I certainly don't see why you at 42 years old should put up with it. I do not consider a person over 40 to be so old that you should avoid certain movements etc.

I have a tendency to joint pain and a family riddled with arthritis. I found on internet that if you have strong muscles on both sides of the joint, this helps because the joint itself is loaded less. The point is, as Robert says, to get yourself into that enviable condition that you have those strong balanced muscles.

I use weightlifting for it, and it helps!!

good luck,
rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 09-24-2005 at 05:53 AM.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 12:38 PM   #17  
Mel

Sarahyu, I second rabbit's advice. I'm 51 and have fibromyalgia, "a touch of arthritis" and chronic fatigue. If I'd listened to my doctors, I really would be just lying on the floor instead of doing squats, pushups, and pullups.. If you really have arthritis, the best thing you can do is keep moving!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:48 PM   #18  

Yup Yup Yup, on Mel's "Keep Moving" my doctor told me I needed to lose weight because I was going to need to have my knees replaced and we just wanted to make them last as long as possible before they were replaced AND it was to bad I wouldn't be able to walk for exercise to help me loose it.

Well when I started walking 2 years ago I needed a cane and I took a phone with me so if I fell down and hurt myself I could call for help. I'm now weight lifting, walking, using the eliptical, and feeling soooo much better. I can do squats and lunges and seldom have any more pain. Every once and a while I will move wrong and get reminded to keep moving but I am doing so much better I can hardly believe it.

My personal trainer comments that some days she can hear my knees clicking but it doesn't hurt anymore and my knees are so very much stronger it is a real relief.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:16 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Oh, I don't listen to the doctors advice about stop doing it. I argue with them and demand to see the physical therapist to learn how to not have pain when I do something.

I just don't like the crunchy sound in my left arm when I do full pushups. I still do other exercises and walk/run. If I stopped, I think I'd freeze up like the tin man in the wizard of oz.

Most every doctor I've spoken with for the last couple years has said "stop running, stop doing this and that." Shoot, If I listen to those doctors I'd be in bed doing absolutely nothing! I'm not going to stop running, I'm going to go to the PT and see what I'm doing incorrectly.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote