Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-15-2005, 07:12 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Exclamation Hack squat...

... with a barbell.

Does anyone have any opinions about this exercise? I can't seem to get comfy with the barbell over my shoulders, either it's too low and uncomfortable on my wrists or too high and gets my neck.

Also with a hack squat, I feel I would be able to lift more weight since I don't have to get the bar over my head... (I don't have a squat rack)

Is it more likely that I would squat with worse form (for my back) If I tried hack squats, are there any disadvantages to doing them rather than the ubiquitous back squat? Anything I might not have realised about them?

Thanks a lot you lifting lasses!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:39 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Here is what I found on the Barbell Hacksquat.... http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...HackSquat.html I would think you wouldn't hurt your back if you didn't go to heavy at first...
It seems like a good alternative for a change of pace, but that's really all I can tell you about them. You're giving me an idea, I haven't done them in ages...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:00 PM   #3  
Mel

They are really hard to do with good form. Hardly anyone does them any more.
Does your gym have a hack squat machine?
Have you tried dumbbel squats or lunges?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #4  

I think my butt is too big to do hack squats effectively.

Have you tried plain old deadlifts? Not as much quad involvement but they do hit a lot of the same muscles and you don't need a rack.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:10 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I do 3 sets of deadlifts on a Friday and 3 sets of squats and 3 sets of split squats on a Monday.

I tried dumbell squats before but bought a barbell cos I didn't think I could fit enough weight on the dumbells, but thinking about it now, I should be able to get 30lbs on each, so that would give me another 15lbs on what I do now.

I don't work out in a gym, I'd rather just do it at home cos then I really have no excuse not to do it when I'm tripping over the weights to get to the sofa!

I'll give the dumbbell squats another go with heavier weights and see what happens! I'm also gonna try upping my deadlift weight tonight too!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote