Pullup/Pulldown/Pull alternative?

• Hello all!

I'm just looking at a new routine. I'm going to try splits. They look... easy! Anyways, this one says to do pullups/lat pulldown. Well I exercise at home and I can't put up my chip-up bar in our swanky apartment cos the landlord is fussy about that! Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of replacing them with press-ups but they're more of a push than a pull...

I have 4 dumbbells, a barbell, 2 resistance bands (yawn!) and a skipping rope! I might try rigging something up with a resistance band or then again I might just do pushups instead!

Any ideas??
  • Pullups and lat pulldowns are back exercises, so you'll want to substitute other back exercises for them (so pushups won't work ). I can think of two terrific back exercises that you can do with DBs: one arm DB rows and DB pullovers (Exrx.net lists them as a chest exercise, but I've always done them for back). In addition, you can do back rows with your resistance bands - just loop them around something and row with your hands at waist level. And you can do BB rows with your BB. So you should be all set!
  • Pushes are always a chest exercise, pulldowns and pullups are a back (lat) exercise. They aren't interchangeable in terms of body parts affected.

Try doing lying dumbbell pullovers or barbell pullovers with straight arms. I think we had a thread about this a few weeks ago...let me see if I can find the links.

Here's how to do a barbell pullover: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BPullover.html

Lie with your shoulders supported on a bench and your head just slightly off the side of the bench. Extend the barbell back over your head with straight arms, them back up again.

If you bend your arms, it becomes a tricep exercise.

Another alternative is resistance bands. You can get them fairly cheaply (at least here, and loop or tie it to a high piece of furniture. Do seated high pulls.

Mel
  • LOL, meg and I were posting the same answer at the same time!
  • That's me told then!

Thanks guys! You are both stars!
  • Quote: I can't put up my chip-up bar in our swanky apartment
    my chip-up bar????? Something subliminal going on here, I think!
  • Ooops you got me! Mmmmmm chips...
  • Eeeeh, frus! What are we going to do with you?
  • FEED ME CHIPS TILL I'M SICK!