Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #1  

Default inexplicable weight gain...

ok, im pretty new to this site, and i just have a few questions...sorta confused by what's going on...

anyways, i'll give you a bit of background info. last summer, i dieted an exercised and lost about 20 lbs (2 lbs a wk), then gained half of it back during the school year.

now, i've decided to start dieting and exercising again, and this time for good. i lost about 10 lbs naturally by not being at school anymore and eating healthier. now i've started to exercise and actually count calories. i eat about 1100-1300 cal (i know it's low, but im really not that hungry and i'm also a vegan) and i do tae-bo 6 times a week, walk for an hour on the treadmill every day (on an incline), and stretch whenever i watch tv. now, one would think that in doing this i would lose some weight, but i've seemed to have gained 2 lbs...

i dont know if it's because im losing fat but also gaining muscle...but 2 lbs in one week? can someone gain muscle that quickly?? im so confused...i have heard that muscle weighs more than fat, but still...2 lbs in 7 days is a lot.

im wondering if this has something to do with my doing tae-bo 6 days a week. it's a pretty strenous workout that i know is doing something to my body (i started only a week ago and before i started i could only do 10 pushups, now i can do 20).

well my question is...does anyone have any idea what is going on? has anyone who's done/is doing tae-bo experienced this?

i dont think my body could really be going into starvation mode, i mean, it's only been a week of dieting. im wondering if i should up my calorie intake to 1300-1400 or something...

sooo any advice? i know i've written a lot, but it's just that i feel really bothered by my weight gain. i dont understand it...i mean, i am a pretty muscular person, i've always been, but i just dont see how i can gain 2 lbs of muscle in a week...

ok, thanks everyone!
pimpishboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #2  

You are right, it is impossible to gain 2 pounds of muscle in a week. A woman would be hard-pressed to gain 2 pounds of muscle in a couple of months. So ...

While you may indeed not be eating enough calories to support your current activity level, that still would not account for a 2-pound GAIN. You might start to see your losses slow and then plateau, but that wouldn't happen in the space of a week.

I thnk it's really important to keep in mind that the scale is an imperfect measure of what's going on in our bodies. All it can measure is weight. It can't tell you how much of that weight is fat, muscle, water, constipation, whatever. It's going to stall or go up the week of or week before your period because of water retention. Water retention can also happen for a thousand other reasons, including increased sodium intake, inadequate liquid intake, increased carbohydrate intake, etc.

To me, judging progress based just on a week's worth of weight information is premature. There may indeed be something going on that you need to correct, but I think at this point you just don't have enough data.

As a side note, given your activity level, I would make VERY sure I was taking in enough protein. That can be tough for anyone, but it's especially tough for vegans. If you don't already, track your intake in a program like Fitday.com. I think the minimum anyone should shoot for is 20% of calories per day from protein, and many people would advocate 30% or 40%. If you're not taking in enough calories, your activity will NOT build any muscle.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #3  

thanks for your reply funniegirl. i didnt really think about the whole "period" thing. i just finished my period today...so maybe that could explain why i've gained 2 lbs. it could just be water weight, i guess, bc i drink TONS of water, like 80 fl oz a day...i know it's way over the recommended amount, but im always thirsty.

i do try to get enough protein. i use fitday, and i usually take in about 20-30% protein, so i think i'm okay on that note.

i agree that judging on only a week is premature, but i just wanted to detect my mistakes early so they don't screw me over, i guess.

thanks again
pimpishboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #4  

I would say it's probably the menstrual water retention thing. I can gain up to 5 pounds every month right before and during my period. So just check again in a few days and see where it's at then. It could also be aggravated by any excess sodium you've had in your diet.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote