3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   L-Glutamine -- How much? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/61696-l-glutamine-how-much.html)

mscelica 07-18-2005 02:04 PM

L-Glutamine -- How much?

Hi Everyone --

I haven't posted in quite awhile, but have still been lurking. Totally went off my program after losing 30 lbs. last fall, and have gained back 35 lbs. I'm also heading right into menopause, so I'm back on the wagon and working on getting back in shape again.

I love reading all the great info on this board, and hope to be able to contribute my .02 worth along the way.

Now, my question: I have l-glutamine in 500 mg tablet form. I am a bit confused on how much to take per day. I do lift weights, and plan to continue with that, but am getting frustrated by sore muscles. Just started the tablets today. Should I be taking powder form instead? The bottle says 1-2 tabs daily, which gives me 1000 mg/day. Is that going to be enough? Research says 10 g /day for bodybuilders (which would be 20 tablets :yikes: ) , but I'm not sure if that is for men, or for 48 year-old women too?

Those of you who use l-glutamine, what is your experience?

Thanks!
Luanne

Mel 07-18-2005 02:28 PM

I use the powder (a lot cheaper!) and use 5 g a day in my morning shake. That would be a lot of tablets :lol:

Welcome back!

Mel

mscelica 07-19-2005 06:11 AM

Thanks, Mel. I went out and bought a container of the powder.

lessofsarahtolove 07-20-2005 09:41 PM

Thanks, Luanne, for asking this question! I was just thinking I might benefit from adding L-glutamine, so it's perfect timing.

And thanks, Mel, for the info. :) Hey, does the powder have flavor? It doesn't really matter, because I'll still take it -- just curious.

Mel 07-21-2005 08:37 AM

You can get some that are flavored, but I buy the plain and disguise it in a shake, or just do it as a "shooter": fling the powder in your mouth then wash it back with water before you even taste it! :lol: Just try not to do it in public where you have to answer questions about the white powder you are carrying around in a baggy! ;)

Mel

teapotdynamo 07-21-2005 08:43 AM

I actually find it shockingly neutral in flavor, which is a good thing! Unfortunately, I am particularly sensitive to the chalky taste of protein powder, so I was pleasantly surprised about the Glutamine. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure it *works*, but at least it's painless to take it anyway!

Hahaha on the white powder in a baggie... :lol:

LKTS 07-21-2005 11:56 AM

Completely off topic, but just wanted to say wow, Teapot, great new picture! You look marvelous :)

mscelica 07-21-2005 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel
You can get some that are flavored, but I buy the plain and disguise it in a shake, or just do it as a "shooter": fling the powder in your mouth then wash it back with water before you even taste it! :lol:

Mel

Wow, Mel, I'm impressed -- I'd probably gag! :eek:

The kind I bought is flavorless, and I've just been following Mel's OTHER suggestion to put it in my morning protein shake before I go work out.

As for whether or not it works, I'm not sure if it's psychological or not, but my soreness has not been as bad, and I am experiencing a bit more stamina in my workouts. Anyway, having additional amino acid to repair muscles can't hurt!

teapotdynamo 07-21-2005 01:40 PM

Again -- off topic, but THANKS, LAURA! I needed that today. :D

Ilene 07-21-2005 02:33 PM

I've noticed that since taking Glutamine from 1-3 times/day, that I rarely get a cold... I had read somewhere that it affects your immune system, in a good way of course...

Mel 07-21-2005 03:20 PM

Ilene- I've read that too. Also, marathoners take it (a lot of it) for a few days before and after running a marathon. Supposedly, it protects against the usual post-marathon bronchitis.

Jennifer Teapot! You look stunning! Beautiful picture :)

Mel

teapotdynamo 07-21-2005 04:41 PM

Thanks, Mel... feeling pretty fantastic these days (if only a *little* impatient to get to my arbitrary goal, which will probably just be an initial goal, anyway). Next stop: 100 pounds!

ellenuw 07-22-2005 08:02 AM

Wow, Jennifer - me, too chiming on on how great you look - what an huge accomplishment. wow, Wow, WOW.

Ok, a basic question, since I have shyed away from all things on the supplement end of things. I take a mutli and e and magnesium. What would L-Glutamine do for me and how much? Now that I am fully dedicated to this lifestyle (and you all seem to know EVERYTHING about my workouts, and a whole lot more :o ) how much do you recommend I start with? Is there anything else I should be looking into? I think I got the feeling from Mrs Jim's post in the "Does it Work" section to be suspicious of pretty much all supplements and this had been reiterated through the press and especially the growth hormone espisode of Morgan Spurlock's "30 Days" (I love that show!) Thanks for your inputs.

teapotdynamo 07-22-2005 01:42 PM

Thanks, Ellen! :D

Ilene 07-22-2005 03:19 PM

Ellen, this is what I take every day: Vitamine C, E, calcium & magnesium, glucosamine for joints, glutamine for sore muscles on and off, more on than off though.... Whey protein powder after a workout or for a snack... That's it...