Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-16-2005, 10:17 AM   #1  

Default Quick introduction

(I posted this under the protein shake thread by accident - this is a repost - Sorry!)

I've enjoyed reading some of the posts in this forum. My DH just started the SBD last Monday, and I've been reading and posting over at "the beach" all week. He lost over 100 lbs 7 years ago just by reducing portion size and making low fat choices. He also started playing more and more tennis as the weight came off and he felt more energetic. He's gradually gained back about 15-20 lbs and wanted to try SBD to get back to where he was. For myself, I'm not trying to lose weight - only attempting to eat more healthfully. I am borderline underweight, and eat lots of sugar, carbs and processed foods (when I remember to eat at all!)

Reading the posts here, has gotten me more motivated to stay in the gym. I tore my ACL and had surgery in March of 2004. I worked VERY hard at physical therapy for 4 months and then took that 3x weekly habit into the gym when formal PT was over. My motivation was to keep my knee healthy (and to get my left thigh back to the same size as my right. DAMN that atrophy!) I figured as long as I was there, I'd start working upper body to help out my tennis game. I saw some nice definition in my arms and legs and was pleased with the changes. Once I got back to playing tennis 5-6 times per week, I dropped back to 2x week strength training workouts. Now with summer and being busy with my kids I've dropped to 1x week. I haven't seen any loss of definition yet, but it's probvably right around the corner. Y'all have inspired me to at least get back to twice a week. I have to admit, though, that even after 18 months of regular weight training, I STILL don't enjoy it. What's the key to having fun with it? Tennis is fun. I can play for 3 hours in the 95 degree heat, but I have to FORCE myself to do weights for 90 minutes.

Well, that was longer than I planned on. Thanks for inspiring me! I'll be lurking and sometimes posting. Have a great weekend!
Leslie0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:05 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I have to admit, though, that even after 18 months of regular weight training, I STILL don't enjoy it. What's the key to having fun with it?
I'm a noob myself but personally I DON'T try to do 90 minutes of weights at one time. I usually do 25-40 minutes working on one or two muscle groups 3-4 times/week. I also take my MP3 player with me and play music with some heart pumping beats (I like hip hop, but hey if Eye of the Tiger works go for it). I also tend to dance around a bit between sets. Do I need to tell you that I try to go off peak times so there are fewer witnesses to kill?

I still wouldn't classify lifting weights as "fun" in and of itself but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy it. I like to challenge myself (in lots of ways, not just exercise) and weights have a built in challenge - I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I can lift every weight in the gym The only times that I really don't enjoy it are those when I leave knowing that I could have lifted more than I did & it seems like a waste of time - those times are few and far between.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:14 PM   #3  

Hi, Leslie, and welcome! I have to agree with Julia, my longest sessions, when I was doing weights 2 times a week, were a max of 60 minutes each - 90 minutes would get boring! You might have an easier time getting in more shorter workouts rather than a couple long ones per week. I listen to music some of the time too, and that can really help on those days when you're feeling blah.

Do you track your workouts either in a notebook or on the computer? I carry index cards w/ my exercises with me, and note down all my weights and reps. It lets me see how I've increased my poundage and what areas I may need more work on. I know some folks put everything in the computer or keep a fitness journal so that they can look back and see how they've improved from the past and to see larger trends and ups and downs.

Also, you may be doing this already, but I'm sure there's some functional fitness stuff out there for tennis players. A trainer might be able to point you in the right direction, or there might be something online or a book. Getting better at what you love would be built-in motivation!
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:19 AM   #4  

Hi Leslie - I just wanted to welcome you
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Leslie Welcome to LWL we\ME LUVS newbies here

*I* personally can spend 2 hours in the gym working weights I love it ... because of time and commitments I usually spend 50-60 mins in the weightroom and about 30-45 mins on cardio/running ...Some days though I am in for 30 mins weights 30 mins cardio then, buh bye , things to do places to go. So saying all this, if you want to continue with weight training you have to find something that works for your own personal schedule. There is nothing wrong with going into the gym for 30-45 mins 2-3 times/week, do what works for you or you will stop going ... Weight training is proven to be so beneficial for women that it's not something that I feel should be left out of our workouts so anytime you can make it in to the gym for a weight session is good in my books...

Journaling works very well for me... I have a spiral note book that I log the weights I did on every workout and then the next time I do chest, let's say, I will bring the weights up a bit just for *fun* ... It's all a mind game but it works

Laura has a great idea of working with a trainer to improve your tennis game.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:25 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

I spend about 30-40 minutes on weights when I go to the gym 2-3x a week(and all the time on cardio I can force myself to do ) This seems to work well for me - I get a decent workout - splits, not full body - and I'm not bored. I usually listen to audiobooks on my MP3 player, and switch to music for cardio (which does bore me so I need the upbeat-ness of music to keep me going).

Quote:
Journaling works very well for me... I have a spiral note book that I log the weights I did on every workout and then the next time I do chest, let's say, I will bring the weights up a bit just for *fun* ... It's all a mind game but it works
That's exactly what works for me too, Ilene.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote