Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #16  

Lieke,

That would be irritating in more then one way. (sorry just could help myself). I spent the weekend at Seaworld with my granddaughter and did so so on my eating but walked my legs clean off. Gosh I was tired. I met with my PT yesterday evening and had a great leg workout. This was the first session with a new PT, my old one is moving to Florida and I'm going to miss him, he really took the time to teach me in addition to just pushing me. I got a good workout with the new guy but I'm going to have to teach him that I prefer free weights over the machines. I was forgiving last night because A) it was very busy and B) it was our first session together, my next appointment with will be Thursday 8:00pm I'm a 5:30am kind of girl so this is going to kill me but I told him I would give it a try. At least the gym shouldn't be so busy, I hope.

TTFN,
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #17  
Ilene the Bean

Lieke -- No loo paper would drive me

Today I haven't worked out yet, will go soon, doing back...

Welcome Artemis We LUVS NEWBIES ....

Tiki -- Sorry for losing your hard earned $$, that bugs me, I don't mind spending but I hate losing it !!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hope it's okay to chime in. Just wanted to share my "funny" at the gym. I did my circuit training class and since we just switched circuits, it was pretty taxing. After the class, I work out on my own for about 30 more minutes. I was kind of tired, but doing well until I got to the exercise called "skull crusher." I could scarcely get the barbell up, much less bring it down to my forehead (it's a tricep exercise). I thought, boy, that circuit wore me out a lot more than I thought, and decided I'd go to the next lower weight, although I'd just switched to the higher weight 2 weeks ago. Well, turns out I'd read 30 lbs. as 20 lbs. No wonder I couldn't lift the barbell. I really could have crushed my darn skull! I guess the moral of the story is to check your barbell weights carefully, especially when you're feeling tired!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:37 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning everyone

Thanks for the welcome Ilene, its good to be here.

Today is going to be hot again here in England, so , going to head to the gym. I normally do my workout at home, but the house is so hot and I was uncomfortable yesterday.

Today I'm going to work my upper body and enjoy the AC at the gym!
Will probably go for a swim afterwards.

Sheila, 30lbs skull crushing!

I cant wait to be strong!
Artemis__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:11 AM   #20  
Mel

Good Morning, LWL! Welcome to Artemis , and heelo to everyone else
I got home last night and caught up on reading, but was too exhausted to post. What a week you all had! Ilene, I'm glad you aren't still stuck under the bench press bar...uh, I've been there, too. I'm sure you wriggled out more gracefully and with less $%&!! than I did Or maybe not
Tiki and Julia- Glad there are no more Tennessee gals under the wagon wheels!
Lieke- Have they relented and resupplied the paper in the toilets yet? YUCK!
Ellen- What a wonderful article and pictures in last week's thread. Not only is your story a shining example of what can be done with self-determination, knowledge and hard work, but you are a wonderful writer! for all that you have accomplished! You should post a link to it in the "Success Stories" part of the 3FC Forum. I'm sure there are many members who don't venture into our little LWL corner who would love to read it.

My week visiting my mother and step-father was good. My ds went off to camp (a sea kyaking expedition to the San Juan Islands then hiking in the Tetons and Yellowstone on the way back). I went to the gym twice, did one training session with my step-father who at age 70, lifts 3 days a week. We worked on a lot of fuctional fitness and balance exercises as well as osteoporosis-specific exercises. He had done very little work on stability balls or dynapads, and was sore "from his ears to his toes" the next day from doing his usual exercises on an unstable surface. I introduced him to a few new exercises and fixed his form and showed him variations on a lot of what he already does.

We did one gentle 2 hour hike along the front range in Boulder in 99 degree heat (but it's a DRY HEAT!!!), then I went for a mountain bike ride on my own while they retrieved one of my brothers and his son from the airport. I got slightly lost ( these are all unmarked gravel roads through the mountains) and ended up going about an extra 12 miles on top of my planned 15 mile trip. Exactly half was straight up and the other half straight down. That doesn't sound too bad, but you have to remember that I live at 250 feet above sea level and this ride was at 9000 feet above sea level. I would start out strong for about 200 yards then sound like I was sucking the last bit of oxygen out of my scuba tanks Rest, repeat.

Due to the fact that my step-father is allergic to practically every good tasting food, they eat almost as weird as I do. My eating seems quite normal to them, in fact There was NOTHING to cheat with (other than the one Sunday brunch we attended, no going out, either) so I came home 2 pounds less than when I left. I know where to head next time I need to drop a few pounds Now to keep them off!

Got to go see if I have any clients left,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Mel, next time you go, please take me with YOU!!! That sounds like such a great and relaxing trip. Or if I can't go there, then I wanna go to camp! My kids are at a two week science camp studying water purification, using all kinds of chemicals and getting into various lakes, swamps and other bodies of water I don't want to think about. My son is trying to catch a leech. Go figure.

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:52 PM   #22  

Goedenmiddag all (Dutch for: good afternoon),

Did legs today, it was hard but not as bad as I'd expected (tell you tomorrow), maybe I should do more? Squats 1x20 warm up at 33 pounds, 3x8 at 110, then 2x15 (wrote down 2x12), at 77 pounds. If I feel good tomorrow, I will up next week.

Tonight's the first BBQ of this week, I made/will make:
Greek salad, low-fat pasta salad
cocktail sauce, garlic sauce, (low fat, nobody ever notices), tapenade (crushed olives with oregano and garlic, blended)
Grilled meat and sausages, most lean
Spritzers (half wine and sparkling water, good for cheating)
Other drinks, the usual stuff (except dr Pepper's, we don't have it here)
I refuse to get really unhealthy stuff, and strangely, everybody likes it or does not even notice.
For about 12 people...
I get home at 21.00 when it starts or is supposed to anyway...
DBF will have only lighted the BBQ and do the meat-thing, me the rest, the MCP (male chauvinist pig, it's what his sister calls him)...
O God...
Aaaaaaah...(stressed out already)

Wow Mel, busy week, what do you mean by weird eating, weird stuff, weird hours? Still no WCpaper (see below). And together with Tiki, can I come too on the next hike? Nature is so "cultured" here, I have the impression that even in the remotest areas of Europe civilization is close, whereas America seems one great outdoor-lovers playground to me (apart from big towns).

Ellen, you have become an inspiration to me too.

Evangeline, good luck with the PT session!

Sheila, when you get whammed by a scull crusher it's no joke, watch out next time!

Ilene, still lugging paper when going to the ladies'..., some have even brought their own (which I REFUSE) together with their lunches. Guess what: on the executive floor there is still paper, makes me want to go up and steal it and hoard it!

Preparing for BBQ take off,

"fasten your seat-belts" Lieke
Greekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:02 PM   #23  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile Hello!

Just thought I'd pop my head out from behind the lurk wall to say hello , and announce that I'm back to doing weights after a long sojourne! A couple of you know me from last year, before I was sentenced to Planet Cancer (see siggy below) -- I was doing beautifully, losing gobs of weight and building lots of luscious muscle. Alas, I got derailed for a while, regained 25 pounds (thank you steroids! ) and I'm now 2 weeks back in the saddle again! With an average of 1600 calories from clean eats and daily cardio, so far I've managed to lose 3 pounds -- much less than I would have pre-chemo, but a heck of a lot better than the nothing I was told to expect to lose for a while after chemo!

Today I resumed weight training! I'm doing 3 full body sessions per week to start. (I lost a lot of muscle over the six months of inactivity.)

Today was:

2x12 of:
Squats
Stiff Legged Deadlifts
Lunges
Lat Pushdowns
Shoulder Presses
Bicep Curls
Bench Presses

And 1 set of 15 unweighted Calf Raises.

I'm so weak now, I did just 20# on everything but the bicep curls, which were only 10! Gotta start somewhere though, right? I'm trying hard not to be disheartened by my fitness losses and instead just be grateful that I get to start over. I'm in remission, so really I'm a very lucky girl.

I'll also have done a total of 50 minutes of cardio today. (I'm just about to go off to do the last 20!)

This workout was a start. In that it completely kicked my keister, I can only assume it provided a good foundation upon which to build! My energy is still pretty low overall -- my oncologist won't let me return to work for another 2 months -- but with a finite store of energy from which to draw, I'd rather invest it in something that will yield bigger returns!

There's my intro -- hope this finds you all well and healthy.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:25 PM   #24  
Ilene the Bean

Sarah -- Welcome back to weight training ... Keep up your great spirit !!

Lieke -- Can I join your BBQ the menu sounds delish

Today I did some running on the dreadmill and I think I hurt my knee,n DAMN!! I after that I did some light leg work to keep the muscles strong around the knee... I guess I should have iced it .... Off to ice ... TTFN ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:56 PM   #25  
Mel

Sarah! Welcome back

Mel
Old 07-14-2005, 09:16 AM   #26  

Height: 5'4"

Lieke - Ok, you're doing my head in: a greek girl living in france who writes perfect english & now dutch? You have to tell me where you came from and how you ended up there. AND I would absolutely go to the executive's room and take every last roll to distribute evenly throughout the others. Sounds like a let them eat cake attitude (which would not be a good idea the week of Bastille Day )

Quote:
That doesn't sound too bad, but you have to remember that I live at 250 feet above sea level and this ride was at 9000 feet above sea level. I would start out strong for about 200 yards then sound like I was sucking the last bit of oxygen out of my scuba tanks Rest, repeat
This winter -at my highest EVER weight- I tried to hike up the side of a volcano crater at 14,000 ft and never made it to the top. After the first 500 feet or so, I would take about 10 steps and then literally start seeing stars, sit down, rest, repeat. My (now ex-) boyfriend went to the top, came back down (about 1/4 of the way down from the top) to get the camera from me and then went back to the top to take pix. I spent the rest of the month long trip worrying that he was going to want to go hiking and I wouldn't be able to. That experience was one of the main things that motivated me to start getting back in shape. I don't want to miss out on life because "I can't"
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:44 AM   #27  
Mel

Quote:
I don't want to miss out on life because "I can't"

Great quote, Julia, and it was my main motivating factor 4 years ago, too. However, at this point, unless I move to living in high altitudes I don't think I'm going to improve my fitness levels much. I jogged and hiked up there just fine, but mountain biking straight uphill was a whole different story despite my bi-weekly spin class torture.

Yesterday's workout was a full body circuit, then 2 and a half hours of lawn mowing. I miss ds already. I'll go back to my regular split next week, but I don't miss it yet Dropped another pound overnight. I haven't seen this number since 1979. My clothes are falling off. I'd like to learn to live here.

Lieke- Happy Bastille Day! Have a glass of wine (or 3) for us

Mel
Old 07-14-2005, 01:11 PM   #28  
Working My Way Back Down

And don't forget that altitude affects different people differently! Being in shape certainly helps, but my DH who has been pretty fit most of his life, always has problems at altitude. He actually worked on a high altitude mountain research project years ago, and as soon as he got above a certain altitude (14,000 ft?) he began to cough and get short of breath. He actually ended up cracking a rib he coughed so hard/much.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaTN
I don't want to miss out on life because "I can't"
Yep, that was what started me, too. Though my "mountain" was the walled city of Dbrovnik. We all have our mountains and need to learn how to climb each one for ourselves - sometimes more than once
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:37 PM   #30  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
We all have our mountains and need to learn how to climb each one for ourselves - sometimes more than once
So, I guess I'm back in the learning mode. Man, that cliff is high, and I just hate falling off it again. But I've got my boots on and I'm starting up again . . .
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote