Eating on the road

• I have to go out of town Sunday night and I won't be home until Friday night. I'm going for work (to a very uncomfortable situation that I won't go into) and I will be stressed and prone to eating the wrong foods! As far as I know I will not have a microwave or fridge in my hotel room. I'm going to see about renting a mini fridge when I get there. I'm not sure of the restaurants capabilities of making egg whites and slow cooking oatmeal.

What can I bring along that's easy, or what restaurants do you eat at that you can find something to eat at? I'm going to pick up an arm load of ready-to-drinks, and bring some cheesesticks and fruit. I can keep the drinks and cheese on ice. Any other ideas?
  • Get some of those stay fresh packs of tuna. Those are great for eating on the road. If you order egg whites, make sure you remind them to prepare them with non-stick spray instead of butter.

Tiki
  • Bring a big cooler! Cut up carrots, celery, other veggies and they'll stay for a few days on ice. Fruit that doesn't need to be refrigerated like apples or oranges, or in single serving packs in light syrup. I'm with Tiki on the tuna! You can make passable oatmeal with quick-cooking oats (not the sugary single-serving packets, but the 1-3 minute stuff) and hot water, which many hotel lobbies will have. Run plain water through a coffeemaker if you've got one in your hotel room to make it hot. Even if you don't have a microwave in your room I'll bet your hotel employees have one in their break room. Maybe if you ask very, very nicely they'll heat up a thing or two for you. I also pop lowfat microwave popcorn ahead of time and seal it in plastic bags on my business trips to eat when my co-workers are hitting the chips, and bring single-serving peanut butter crackers and protein/granola bars.

Wendy's has some light salad dressings and grilled chicken salads, as does Subway, and I think McDonald's now has some light dressings too. Nutrition info is posted on their websites. You still have to deal with some preservatives but it's better than a bunch of fries. Many chains have nutrition info on their websites now, so you could find something ok to eat ahead of time. Could you call the hotel and ask what grocery stores and restaurants are nearby?

Good luck!
  • I've brought dry oatmeal with me traveling - even cheap motel rooms will usually have one of those little coffee makers - I heat up water in the coffee maker, mix it with some dry oats (in a GladWare bowl), put the lid on, take my shower and it's done by the time I get out (not to my liking necessarily but at least it's SOMETHING).

I did that at the Waldorf-Astoria a few years ago as I didn't feel like paying $20 for room service oatmeal (even though I was traveling on an expense account!) and I needed SOMETHING in my stomach to survive the huge breakfast feast extravaganza buffet that was set up for our meeting.
  • Boston Market has some healthy choices if that's in the area that you will be in, and it's a nice break from fast food all the time as well. The instant oatmeal is also great, balance go mix or something like turkey jerky, etc.
  • And while they are a little high in sodium, you can get some soups that mix with hot water and arent' too bad calorie wise. I always like a banana along with a bagel (small, or 1/2) with laughing cow cheese. Any restaurant with a good salad bar should be pretty "friendly" for dinner. If they don't have lf dressing, I like just vinegar on mine.
  • Also Balance Bar has come out with a new trail mix that is really pretty good. There are 3 flavors, nutrition information looks about the same as the bars but they are way more satisfying to eat. I'm not a big protein bar person but these Gomix Snacks are pretty good. I found them at Osco's. They came in really handy when I flew to NY for my daughter's wedding.

http://www.balance.com/products/default.asp