Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-03-2005, 12:21 AM   #1  

Question Help With some very specific goals

Hello Everyone! I am new to this site, so a quick intro of myself. I am 35
(in 26 days!) and I currently weigh 200lbs. I lost 15 lbs by cleaning up my diet, but weightloss has stalled at 200lbs and now I know I MUST add in the exercise. My goal is to join the army by the summer/fall 2005. In order to do this, I must meet certain fitness standards. I must be able to perform 7 FULL pushups off the toe-- perfect form. I can't even do 1 at the moment (I am working at doing countertop pushups). I also need to be able to run a distance of approx. 5km fairly comfortably because as you know, basic training has ALOT of running!! I bought Muscle & Fitness hers "Weight Loss That Works " Issue and planned on following the 50 pounds to lose Home workout. I am going to lift 4 Day/week doing Chest,delts,Back, Triceps and Biceps Monday and Thursday. Then Legs, Calves , Abs on Tuesday and Friday. Complement that with 40 min Cardio on Wed, Friday and Saturday.... Adding in extra cardio on Sunday if I find I need to when or if I plateau. My Question (after having read all this!) is does this sound like a solid plan to help me lose 50lbs by end June.... AND can you suggest anything I may need to add to help me gain the strength needed for pushups? I am very inspired by Mel and Karen (Mrs. Jim) as well as you other members who have been so successful. Any help you can give me so I will not waste my time reaching my goal will be so much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your advice.
Sincerely, Marie
chimo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #2  

Exclamation I posted yesterday....Can anyone help?

Hello! I am unsure if I posted right yesterday or not. I asked for some advice on reaching a specific goal, however, my post ended up near the bottom of the page so I don't know if anyone saw it or not. Any help I can get would be so appreciated. If Meg and/or Mrs Jim reads my earlier post, could you give me some feedback on if I have a good plan of action set out? Thanks so Much.
Sincerely, Marie
Old 01-03-2005, 01:48 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Sorry about the delay - I think a lot of us are still getting back into our post-holiday routine (I know I am...)

Whew! You DO have a big goal to attain! I'm sure that someone else will chime in here. I haven't seen the M&F Hers issue you're referring to, but my first advice would be NOT to take on too much too soon - you'll end up VERY sore and miserable to say the least (you might want to start supplementing with glutamine powder to stave off the soreness).

I'm not sure if you've ever done weight training before...if you have just TAKE IT EASY at first. Don't just rely on the magazine for info...(obviously you're not, since you're asking here ). I'd suggest checking out our forum "Basic Info" sticky - lots of great links there - the best one (IMO) being Krista Scott Dixon's Weight Training for Women (Stumptous) website for LOTS of great beginner info.

To become stronger in pushups - my experience is you just keep doing them as part of your chest workout. As you get stronger and lose weight, pushups will become easier for you.

As far as running - just keep doing it! Cardio (along with nutrition) is ESSENTIAL for burning fat - weight training helps a bit but diet is probably 80% of it. Sounds like you need to build up some stamina - I'd recommend doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) on the treadmill (if you belong to a gym or have access to a treadmill) or outside.

Don't be a stranger! keep on posting and let us know your progress and if you have any questions.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Marie Sorry about the delay in responding ... Like Karen said we're all getting back into the routine ... It certainly did feel good to get back to a routine this morning for me ...

Your program does sound ambitious and that's ok... But in order for your ambition to continue I agree with Karen you don't want to get too sore and get discouraged or worse get injured. Start slow and easy with a walk or a light jog/walk routine... Get some dumbells for home workouts or get a trainer at a gym to show you the ropes. In no time you'll be losing weight and feeling stronger and fitter and you can incorporate more into your routine...

Don't be shy, ask away any question you have ... and if we're daydreaming like we were doing this time, , ask the question again!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:13 PM   #5  

Default Thanks for the input!

Hello Karen and Ilene! Thank you for getting back to me. I have lifted before... body for life style... my problem was not being consistant. I am willing to stick it out this time. I am very familiar with Krista's website, It is actually bookmarked for me!! So, I will take your advice and ease into things, and I know to ease off and recover if i begin to feel too sore! I will keep practicing the pushups and hope as the weight comes off, I will be able to do them easier. Actually, Krista wrote back to me and told me the same thing.... To Keep practicing Pushups as part of my daily routine! She told me to start off the kitchen counter then work my way down my staircase as I become stronger! I have a starting point now, and I will keep checking back to let you know how things are going. I really do need the support! I refuse to ever be over 200lbs again. Stepped on the scale this morning and it was 200.5 lbs.... 2004 will be the past and 2005 will be the year I never go over 200 again! Thanks for listening and the helpful advice.
Marie