Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-23-2004, 04:00 PM   #1  
Laura

Default Need help-where to look for a personal trainer

I would like to find a personal trainer that is older than 18! (The average age of the peronal trainers at my club). I have been working out with weights for about 4 weeks on my own and plan on doing BFL starting in January. I would like to find a women around my age (44) that has an understanding of weight loss and a good knowlege of free weights. My club is in Mill Creek Washington about 15 miles north of Seattle. If anyone knows of someone OR can tell me where to start looking I would appreciate it.
Laurba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:09 PM   #2  

One place to look is through the referral services of the two top certifying organizations -- the American College of Sports Medicine (http://www.acsm.org), and the American Council on Exercise (http://www.acefitness.org). There are others, but these are the two with the most rigorous requirements.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:35 PM   #3  
Mel

You should also try the referral services of ISSA and NASC, NASM and IFPA:
www.nsca-lift.org/trainers/
www.issaonline.com
http://www.ifpa-fitness.com/Locator_...alTrainer.aspx

In my opinion, the certifying organization matters far less than the experience of the trainer. Each organization has a slightly different set of "blinders" through which they view fitness: ACE is very academic, but the actual course teaches very little about training. ACSM certification was developed from a medical standpoint and is the oldest certification around, but has very little practical "trainer-training". ISSA is geared towards bodybuilders and powerlifters. NSCA is mainly concerned with athletic conditioning although they have added a new Personal Trainer certification. IFPA claims they are the only organization training "fitness professionals" who look at the whole picture.

Trainers collect all sorts of certifications for various reasons. Certifications are good for 2 years, then have to be renewed by either taking continuing education credits and submitting them to the original certifying organization, or by just testing for a new certification from another organization. That is usually also accepted by the first as a continuing ed fulfillment, and then both certifications are in effect. It's usually a lot cheaper to test again than to take continuing ed courses, so if someone has been training for a while, it's not unusual to have or have had 3 or 4 different certifications.

If I were looking for a trainer, I would start asking around for recommendations rather than worrying about the particular certification. Anyone who is certified by any of the above organizations has the knowledge, but as you've discovered, they may not have the experience or enough experience with someone with your particular needs or concerns. Do you know anyone your age who has used a trainer that they could recommend?

Ask around your club if you don't personally know anyone. Try approaching other women who seem comfortable in the gym and ask them if they've worked with a trainer and who they would recommend.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:08 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Laura - too bad you don't live in PA - I could recommend a FAB trainer.

Krista has an article on her website titled "How to choose a personal trainer" you might want to check out...here's the direct link to the article:

http://www.stumptuous.com/personaltrainer.html

Good luck and take care!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:42 PM   #5  

This may sound really off, but I would recommend calling the Salish lodge. They have an amazing network of contacts, and the manager of the spa may be able to point you in the right direction.

Then when you're sore you can go get a hot stone massage to thank them!

Just an idea....

Mostly becuase I know that certification is really important, but for me having good chemistry with my trainer was equally important. I ended up finding a trainer who's day job was a chiropractor for DH because he has sciatica - and those types of things are readily available on websites.
pebbles396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 02:53 PM   #6  

Default "You gotta shop around..."

I don't know if my experience will help you or not, but here goes. First figure out *where* you are going to work out with a trainer: in-home or which gym. I did a lot of day passes to a number of gyms in my area - places like Bally's and Gold's and decided they were not for me - too large, too dim, too dirty, too much about money and not service, etc. I found a small private gym a few blocks from my home run by two personal trainers who made the gym everything thing they thought a gym should be. Their primary purpose is to provide the right facility for them to train their clients, not to sign up as many members as possible. Their focus is more on making it the right place for them to do personal training and not just to be a place for people to work out. The place is bright and spotless. Towel service is included, as are soaps, conditioners and shampoo in the showers. Oh, and it is $1 more a month than Gold's.

For two weeks I came in and did cardio and watched the trainers (9 currently on staff) and spoke with a few of them. I am 44 and have a number of health issues that are weight related. I copped the attitude I wanted to learn the *right* way to approach weights and not hurting myself was more important than lifting the biggest weight. The trainer I chose was a 49 year old military wife with 4 children, the youngest in high school. She was excellent for me and we worked together for 4 months before life interrupted and she moved away from the gym (hey, I am in DC and transience is part of the local color - I understood). I had been watching the other trainers and became friendly with most of them. I was quite surprised to find myself most comfortable with a 28 year old single male. We have worked out together twice now and I think I will continue with him.

The attitude of my gym is pretty understanding that finding the right trainer is pretty personal and there are no hard feelings if you want to "shop" around with them to find who is right for you. I also think it is helpful that the owners are almost constantly there and that there has been very little turnover in the trainers or staff - kind of unusual for this area. Most of the trainers knew the owners and each other before the gym opened and there is a mutual respect in the air. I also know I can ask any of the trainers about a piece of equipment or form for an exercise and they are always willing to assist. There is a very friendly vibe between them and it translates to the other clients. I may not know their names, but I can laugh with other women who work out around the same time I do. Somehow that makes it better, too.

I think the article Mrs. Jim posted is a great start. Based on my experience I would only add to feel free to shop around for the right one - don't settle for the right credentials if they don't have the right personality, too. Good luck!!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote