Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-20-2004, 08:05 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL #182 Week of December 20-26

Up and at 'em, LWL!

Leg day here Still having back of knee-hamstring problems, but it's not getting any worse or better, so I might as well go for it and go back to real weight.

I woke up to 8 degrees F (OK, so that's not unusual for Pat or Ilene, but I don't see it often!) and am really glad my cardio is NOT running outdoors these days. It was so windy last night I kept thinking the roof was going to sail off the house.

Still doing well with clean eats here. I've been to busy to do any holiday cooking and dh doesn't want it- he says he's gaining weight. DS bakes his own cookies or brownies and I'll take a taste, but they just don't really tempt me.

What are you all up to today?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:10 AM   #2  
Meg

Eight degrees - you've got a heat wave going on your side of PA! It's 1 here .... brrrr. Thank heavens for seat warmers in my car! Cardio done, weights later - not sure which body part yet - lots of errands. Clean eats - don't want to fall into that 'I'll be good AFTER Christmas' trap (after I've gained ten pounds that is! ).

Remember, gang:

JUST SAY NO TO COOKIES!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:54 PM   #3  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Leg day here too; trying hard to increase the weight I squat before 2004 is over! And then some cardio.
I’m also aiming for clean eating; the end of this week will be sugary enough!
I’m definitely trying to keep out of the 'I'll be good AFTER Christmas' trap too!
And yes: I do say no to cookies!!!
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 04:22 PM   #4  
mox

Default Burrrr.

Hello everyone:

I've had a great first week food-wise, and have slowly (creak!) increased the walking. It'll be a challenge going to my family's for Christmas and New Year's. Although they try to eat healthily, I know that there'll be a lot of food-focused activities, and much more junk just sitting around. But, I'll have outdoor activities to burn off the extra calories.

This will probably be my last post until the new year, but I'm looking forward to a good one. For those who celebrate Christmas, I hope you have a merry one.

Cheers,
mox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 05:40 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Ha! Mel, it was 30 here this morning!! But colder now at 1 pm and supposed to get colder all week, til we're below 0 by Christmas (take note Mox!) We had another 2-3" of snow last night though, and it might last!

Guess I worked out good on Friday - I was nicely sore this weekend. Tonight I'm going to work probably on arms. I looked at some books I have and have devised a new upper body routine that I think will work for the next period of time - probably a couple months given the holidays and then a vacation in late January. Makes me look forward to going.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:20 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Hello gang!!

Been pretty busy... I didn't make it to the gym today an unforseen wait for a call from my Dad's doctor had me waiting all afternoon and after 5pm, I just can't make it out... Especially if it's -28C or -18.4F, without a wind factor, and there was a windfactory warning in effect... that's freakin' COOOOLD !! Unbelievable really... How's that for cold Mel! DANG, suppose to warm up tomorrow, -18C, darn right balmy!!

Tomorrow I WILL make it to the gym... I'm going to work chest although I'd like to work legs, but I really want to get a good run in... I'm going in the morning this time so nothing will stop me!!

Have a nice trip Mox, and evryon else travelling during the holiday season...TTFN...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:22 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Oh I forgot to bring to your attention this fantabulous pic of Mrs.Jim posted at the MSN LWL site...

http://groups.msn.com/3FCLadiesWhoLi...to&PhotoID=211

You look awesome Karen!!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Wow! Mrs. Jim/Karen, you look terrific! I am so impressed with the changes all of you have made...gives me such incentive.

Finally got over last week's cold and started working out again. Did Cathy Friedrich's Muscle Endurance video on Sunday, great workout, was still sore from the chest exercises when I worked out with the trainer today. And...ta-da! Have lost a solid three pounds. Wonder of wonders! Don't really notice it yet in my clothes but both my scale and the Bally scale show the loss. I've been paying myself $1.50 for every perfect day...$.50 for good days when I stay under control, and am working my way up to buying myself an I-Pod. You all got me thinking about one, and it seemed great incentive. Long term, fits with what I'm doing, and, hopefully, will keep me on the straight and narrow....and maybe, by the time I save up enough, it will have gone down in price.

I'm also trying to remember to put in my retainers (I had orthodonture done... for the 2nd time...last year) as soon as I eat at night, to keep me from snacking. It seems to be working. Work ends on Friday for a week...if I can get my internet connection working at home I will check in, otherwise, happy holidays and new year to you all.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:04 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

WTG Susan! I like the idea of saving - esp for an iPod, which though I probably could afford, I can't quite justify. Heck, even with a $50 GC I can't even bring myself to get a cheap(er) MP3 since I have a "perfectly good" CD walkman.

At the gym last night I found that I had lost another 2 lbs! Gads, is this workout stuff paying off at last? Anyway,I'll take it. I did my revised UBWO and I can tell this morning! Also did a mile each on the elliptical and the treadmill, so I'm good til Wed. My plan is a LBWO and cardio on Wed, then a whole body WO and cardio on Friday, when the gym closes at noon, not opening again til Monday. I can still do some stuff at home, which may or may not happen. Does open presents count as cardio?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:37 AM   #10  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I went to the gymn this morning, ready to do chest and triceps. Walked across the car park, and met a member of staff who told me ‘closed till the 4th’! Yes, I’d seen the notices but they just hadn’t registered. I went for a brisk walk in the drizzle instead.

Withdrawal symptoms have already started.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:22 AM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Hi girls

Silver -- I really had when my gym closes for too long ... but this season it's open fairly regularly...

Pat -- good for you on the lost # .... I scared to weigh myself to tell the truth, although I don't feel, even in my clothes, that I have gained weight...

I made it to the gym yesterday... I am getting ready to go now to do arms and cardio... Tomorrow will do legs in the morning... Tomorrow night it the gettogether here with DH's side of the family... The Eve of Christmas Eve we call it... It started when MIL was around and was getting on with age and could not handle the gang anymore so Dave and I took it over, but made sure we did it the 23rd instead of the 24th when everyone was rushed... It works out well.... But damn it's alot of work! Oh well, I can handle it.... Me like Russian Bull!!

Ok, gotta go make another list, then the gym... TTFN
Old 12-22-2004, 10:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Am feeling really good today...went out to dinner last night and before I went I "visualized" what I was going to do and eat, and it worked! I was able to say no to wine, bread, dessert, and even had my salad dressing on the side, along with a fabulous fish main dish. There's hope for me yet.

Silver, that's too bad about the gym...they should make arrangements for you at another facility...is it possible they did that? I'm pleased that my gym is open on Xmas day...I can work out before I start my day. And I have all of next week off, so I can spend as much time as I like in the am working out, YAY!

Ilene, I don't think I could live in Canada. I would spend all my time under the bedcovers . I hate the cold. Brrrr. Don't know how you deal with it. Do you need special cables to keep your cars going when it gets that cold?

Hope you all have a fabulous holiday!

artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:16 PM   #13  
Mel

Just back from the gym, did back and cardio. No clients today- I think they are all shopping or "lunching" Personally, I feel like going back to bed! I think the cold that I've been fighting off might be winning Bad timing.

Silver- I'd really be in withdrawal if my gym closed for that long There are all sorts of body weight exercises that you can do, though!

Artmaker- Congratulations on your restraint and success at visualizing yourself through the potential landmines at dinner

Hello Pat, Ilene, Tiki?? Where are you? Meg's probably cardio'ing away or swamped with returning kids and cats...hi mox, mette, and everyone else this sleepy brain has forgotten!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:06 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning! Well, I'll tell you that Mox is not going to be happy when she hits Alaska - if she's even able to land! We have high winds - gusts to 90 mph! - and freezing rain (though how the rain can even fall with those winds is beyond me). And it's 45 degrees. This is turning into the weirdest winter in a lot of years! The walking is trecherous, all the packed snow has solidified to ice and then the top is melting, so it's water over ice. Had to run around and pick up my trash barrel lids before work this morning.

On that note, I just realized that with all the other stuff I had to lug this morning, I left my gym stuff by the front door! Arg. Hopefully DH can grab it when he goes to the gym later and will drop it by for me. (He's out this morning, left before me.)

It's a leg and cardio day. Arms are just a little sore still from their new workout on Monday. Our gym is closing at noon on Friday, so I'll be there in the morning. They're reopening on Monday, 12/27, but will do the same schedule for NY weekend. Better than closing til the 4th though! Ack! I'd have withdrawal too.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:43 AM   #15  

Hi,
I 've been lurking around here for some time now & I would like to join you. This thread is a real inspiration for me. I have not lifted for long, but I'm trying to get there with working out at home with dumbells.
Right now I am sore from body workout yesterday. I put in 50 mis of cardio today, stationary bike & rowing machine.
Hope I'll be able to gain no weight in the next days.

4rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote