Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-16-2004, 01:34 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

OMIGOSH!

I will NEVER do legs and back together again. I am so sore - which is good - but being sore in the legs and the back makes EVERYTHING hard to do. Getting my drawers on this morning took serious manuevering cause I have to bend over plus lift my leg. My daughter heard me cursing and wanted to know what was wrong.

OUCH!

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:38 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Been out of commission the last few days with a miserable cold. Have to be careful because if I am not, it has a tendency to go into my chest and I end up with bronchitis and my asthma gets bad, so I slept in each morning before work, and just read exercise/diet books for inspiration. Just found the thin for life cookbook...eating for life I think it's called... at the book sale at the library, am excited about reading through it.

Have been trying to do WW points counting but since I don't have the right materials, other than a small pamphlet my trainer gave me, it's hard to figure out points. Easier to just start using recipes with calorie counts. At the same time I picked up the eating for life book I got two other cookbooks, one a weight watchers and the other Julie Russo's Fresh Start cookbook. Will use those as my basic meals recipes while I am trying to stay under 1300 calories. Up till now I've been winging it with my own estimates.

Tomorrow I am going to start lifting again...miss it. Last night I slept 10 hours...a miracle, as I usually am lucky to get 7 hours in during the week, but obviously my body needed the rest. By tomorrow (keeping fingers crossed) I hope to be ok again.

Have a great afternoon all!

Artmaker
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 01:17 AM   #18  
Working My Way Back Down

Mox - unless something happens soon, we don't have what Alaskans consider much snow yet! In fact for the past week or so it's been hovering around freezing during the day, and only into the mid-20's at night! I went to Anchorage (from Palmer) today for a class and it was downright sloppy on the roads. I think I went through a quart of windshield washer solution!

I took two days rest for my back, but feeling lots better tonight, so barring the unforeseen, I'll be back at the gym tomorrow. My arms/shoulders are in need of a workout. Question: If I can do x amount on the machine that does bicep curls, can I do the same amount with a bar or dumbells? Guess I won't see an answer before I go (class continues tomorrow and I'll go home via the gym) so I'll just try. I'm really too short to use that machine correctly - i.e. can't reach it comfortably sitting down. I did some curls with my 8# weights at home no problem, so I'm sure I can probably do 10# or even more. I think I do 30# on the machine (book is with gym stuff in the car )
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #19  
Mel

Quickie answer, Pat. Machine weights and free weights rarely correlate because 1) the machine isn't all that accurate or consistent between machines due to cabling, friction, etc, but more importantly, free weights force you to work body parts independently and use far more muscles. That's why you generally get a better workout with free weights. If yu doe dumbbell curls while standing, you are forcing your arms to work independently so that if you have a weaker side, it HAS to work rather than being carried by the stronger side, You're using your legs to stand, and your abdominals to support yourself and keep from swaying. Same for any free weight exercise vs. machine. This is especially important for us smaller folk (under 5'5") for whom not all machines adjust correctly!

I'm still not lifting- arms is healing, leg is not I'll start again on Monday. Still eating clean, though!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 04:33 PM   #20  
mox

Default Let it snow

Well, I've been very good resisting the evil cookies people have been bringing to work (or is it evil people bringing cookies . . . ) It's hard work, though . . . how's everyone else's temptation-guard working?

WaterRat: I've heard it hasn't been as snowy as usual in AK, but I can still hope, can't I? I'm a big fan of downhill skiing, but am hoping to learn how to cross country ski when I'm there. Whatever the weather, I'm really looking forward to seeing the mts and sound and visiting family.

Just a quick check-in to see how everyone is holding up.

Take care.
mox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:43 AM   #21  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
My bicep tendon is still so sore that holding a cup of coffee is an effort first thing in the morning.
Mel: I've only just seen this. It has to be one of your worst injuries yet! Are you any better now?? Have you tried a straw?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 08:12 AM   #22  
Mel

Somehow hot coffee through a straw does not sound appealing!

Thanks, SB, my arm was much better and I was able to do a full body workout yesterday. I kept automatically loading on more weight for a third set of whatever, then having to remind myself NO! take it easy! unfortunately, my mantra for what seems like most of the year.

Off to the gym for 2 clients- then cardio. At least I get next Saturday off!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:51 PM   #23  
Working My Way Back Down

Thanks for the advice on the biceps. I did a whole body workout on Friday since I'd had 3 days off! I ended up using the machine once again since the gym was crowded and the "Testy Boys" (short for testosterone ) were hogging the free weight section - usually they're finishing up when I arrive, but I had come from a class rather than work and was earlier than normal. But I had a great workout - able to up the weight on several exercises, esp legs. I did only 15 minutes on the elliptical since I didn't want to stress my almost healed back, but I did manage a 14 minute mile!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote