Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-15-2004, 05:11 AM   #1  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default LWL #177 15th - 21st November 2004

Let's try one week again as we were all so chatty in the last thread.

I went to the library on Friday for an inspirational book. It's a small town and a small library so there's not much choice on the shelves. I came home with Susan Powter. I knew nothing about her although her name rang a bell from somewhere on this forum. Phew! She's a bit frenetic! And rather breathless, surprising for someone who goes on about oxygen. Anyway, reading the book was a bit of a laugh and I've decided to take a long, hard look at the amount of fat I'm eating.

Gymn later this morning.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:44 AM   #2  
Mel

Morning LWL!
The only thing I remember about Susan Powter was from probably the early-mid 80's when she was a spikey-haired platinum blond screaming "STOP THE INSANITY!" A little too high volume and insane for me. I never listened long enough to figure out what her message was

First week back to a full workout schedule for me, so I think I'll start with legs today That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?

Eating was good over the weeking with one small lowpoint involving poor planning, and some re-stocking of the iron reserves. Mmmmm, too much steak!

Off to the gym,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:45 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Stop the Insanity! is the name of the book I've just read. Message: eat high volume, low fat food; move; get oxygen. I think. The book has left me feeling a little shaky (too much shouting) but at least it amused me. And I am looking into the amount of fat I eat.

Legs! Yes! I went to the gymn for a legs day. It started badly: music much, much too loud. Then it got worse: 15 schoolchildren entered for an hour-long session. And worse: attendant denied a machine was broken (can't be bothered to go into it but when a bolt which should be there isn't there, the machine is broken in my view). And then I left.

I've been trying to find a quieter Monday time than 0915. 1145 obviously isn't it. I'll try again tomorrow.

I love iron too, Mel!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:53 AM   #4  

I remember Susan Powter, too – I did think her hair was cool but she was too crazy for me!

Ok, what I have learned recently: actually posting here is much more time consuming for me than lurking was. When I was just lurking and reading, I could think up all kinds of great things to post, but actually typing them up and trying to make sense “on paper” is a lot more difficult for me. I keep changing my mind about how to say things so that they make sense and not sound whiny. I tend to sound whiny to myself a lot lately – isn’t that age-appropriate for a pre-menopausal woman??

I agree with you, Silverbirch, last week’s thread was long and when I tried to keep up; I kept getting more and more behind everyone! And by the way, I love the list after your signature. Those items are very important for me, also.

Mel, I will remember “That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger” tonight when I am doing legs – because I don’t enjoy doing lower body workouts. Sound’s dumb, I know – I hate doing legs because mine are weak but the only way they will get stronger is do work ‘em. Go figure!

I had hot flashes on and off last night, so sleep was marginal. When the alarm went off at 5:00, I re-set it for 6:15 and went back for solid sleep then. It was really difficult to get up the second time because I was really snoozin’ by then. So no workout this morning, but I am ready for lower body this afternoon. I cooked for the week yesterday and packed all my food for today. Clean eats for me today - all day, all week. My son's football team is having a potluck banquet tonight and I told DH he had to take him because I don't want to test myself in that type of situation just yet.

Stay awake, Monday will be over soon.
Susan_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Good for you Susan L, to stay away from situations that you aren't sure of yet. That is a positive stop. Good luck on legs this afternoon. I love legs, but HATE working bis and tris. Guess we all have our body part to hate.

Susan Powter was too loud for me and that's SAYING something. I also hated her hair. She looked like a treasure troll to me.

I'm aggravated that I didn't get in any workouts beyond last Sunday but am glad that I didn't eat crazy things. Usually, if I'm not working out, then I also eat bad. I didn't eat "good" because I didn't eat enough but I think that is still better than eating all the junk I would normally eat.

Saturday night was less than what I had hoped (but I was CUTE!). The function didn't have the turnout I expected AND the guy got called into work (IT nut) so it wasn't that great of an evening. I did meet him for super early breakfast (after the party ended) and that was cool. We are scheduled for a more formal dinner dance in early December. Guess that means more shopping for me

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:36 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Aw poor Tiki you have to go shopping again I bet that breaks your heart, NOT!! ... ... Eating clean and not exercising is very very difficult because the two seem to go hand in hand ... for doing that well last week....

Susan Powter got on my nerves too!

Susan_L --Good for you on sticking with us AND posting... I find it difficult too sometimes to express myself... I always find the other posts are so well written, written like reading a good book, that mine pale in comparisson... But I get so much out the writting that I keep coming bakc and writing my thoughts no matter how boring they may be... No one YET has PMed me to give me heck! and don't any body dare....

Mel -- You're gonna be some sore chickie, now that you're back to your normal workout routine... Iron is verrrry good, I enjoyed much of it last night myself ...

Hi Silver, Cindy, Meg, and everyone else... Let's be careful out there this week......
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:48 PM   #7  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Leg day for me too – I’m still working out my squats technique: I can’t seem to keep my bottom/hips/*** (pardon my French) from going up first – when I’m coming up from the squat. Has anybody ever had problems with this? How should I stop doing this?
Everybody keeps telling me to focus more on using my quads on the way up – because this should keep my hips coming up slower.
Does this make any sense to any of you – or is it just me?

silverbirch – I was a bit late discovering Powter, and I remember being amused too. But I also clearly remember gaining weight on eating lots of low/non-fat food in the early nineties! I discovered the hard way that the amount of calories matter too!

Susan_L – oh yes, posting takes quite a lot more time than reading. This is why I didn’t post at all last month. But you’re all doing it so well!
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:31 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

I actually saw Susan Powter speak when I was living in Seattle in 2000. She's still pretty strident, though not as militant! :lol Still pushing the low fat/exercise thing - and looking pretty darn good, btw!

Today is an arms and cardio day for me. I'm taking off work early to get to the gym since I have be back here for a meeting a 7:00 pm. (I'm a library director and have a Friends of the Library group meeting tonight. Oh joy, get to give them a wish list of things I'd like them to spend $$ on! )

Had my annual exam this morning, and at least I weigh less than last year, and I'm still the same height. This is a good thing when you're pushing 60! All my other numbers look good, so I'm happy.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:45 PM   #9  

Hey Guys.
I met Susan Powter at the Seattle Womens Show a couple years ago. She was promoting a new book/ video? (not the old 'Stop the Insanity') no... no... She was promoting vitamins. That's it. I remember now. She had some special new vitamins and only a few people actually listened to her talk. I felt embarrassed for her.
Anyway later, she was eating at the food court at the same time as my girlfriend and myself and we chatted briefly. She was soooo decorated and over-the-top. Lot's of bangles and hanging belts. Torn jeans, half shirt. The really cropped hair. Very, very thin. I never got into any of her stuff and wasn't incredibly impressed when I met her. She seemed kind of spacey or drugged or something. Kind of Anna Nicole Smith'ish. Interesting experience.....

I am doing really well so far today with my eating! 1 day down (almost) I feel so clean. I just need to remember this feeling
XO
L2L
luv2lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Finally, finally ... I did legs today. It felt soooo good to be back in the saddle so to speak. Remind me I shouldn't let a whole week slide by like that again!
Like L2L says .... I just need to remember this feeling.
Salmon's ready, spinach is ready ... now if only hubby would walk in. MMMM good eats!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Water Rat -- It's so good to hear the doc when he give you those numbers, isn't it?I can't remember but I think it was you who asked about what I do for legs... If I didn't answer I'm sorry and if I'm repeating I'm sorry again... I do alot of squats, lunges, walking lunges, leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls...

I didn't get to do legs today!!!!!!! DANG!!! I got to the gym and had NO NADA running shoes! I had left them in the back porch when I came back from running yesterday! I was so annoyed I went to Walmart, it was closer, and bought one Christmas gift for DS... It's a start....I may not get to the gym till Wednesday afternoon, then Thursday and Friday I work all day ... Anyways I have to find the time... Tomorrow I am going to Ottawa to shop with my mom I may suggest we leave later so I can go to the gym...

Food was perfect though...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:06 PM   #12  

The good: visited a new gym last night, liked it a lot, probably going to join; clean eats all of yesterday

The bad: stopped by Starbucks while running my DH to work after he dropped his car off for service

The ugly: work dinner out tonight @ a Chinese restaurant
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:31 PM   #13  
Mel

Darn, Ilene! I would have bought gym shoes at Walmart and headed back to the gym Once I did legs barefoot (squats and lunges) until the gym manager came and yelled at me

LKTS- Glad you found a gym that you like Be careful at the Chinese food fest.

L2L- Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing Susan Powter on TV recently looking very thin, pushing a line of vitamins. Yeesh- isn't everyone these days? (vitamins, not thin)

mette- Nice to see you back. Not sure how to diagnose your squat problems without actually seeing you. Are you making sure that your stance is correct, your heels are on the ground, you are pushing through your heels, and your knees are staying behind your toes?

Tiki- Enjoy your shopping. I wish I had somewhere to wear something other than gym glothes!

My legs and butt are VERY sore, and tomorrow my chest will be, too. Went back to real bench presses after about a year off- going feel them tomorrow!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Mel - The REAL ONES??? I only do those with a spotter and then, its still very rare. I can't seem to balance the bar quite right. Great JOB!!!!

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good arms today. Still little bitty weights but they feel good. Back and biceps might be moving it's way up on my favourites list.
Good food today too.
Yup, it was a good day.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote