Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 02:36 AM   #1  

Default Week of July 19-26

Good morning everyone!

Just a shorty: my week has started well, after a wonderful afternoon driving to a medieval little town to see what's new there on the house market (we want to buy a house, there would be perfect), and an early night, I woke up to find the cat had peed on my clean laundry again because DBF "forgot" to clean the litter.
What a start...

Am going to change programs again, I think it was Mel who said that it is good to change and do lotsa things to keep interested, and I agree completely, as long as there is a line into it of course. So I'll fix up a line today and let you know.

Have a good start y'all!

Lieke
Old 07-19-2004, 01:16 PM   #2  

Default Happy Monday:)

Hi Guys!
How was the weekend?

Lanaii, Men are funny...I guess my hubby doesn't mind me on stage half nekkid because he is right there watching and taking pictures. I think it comes down to supervision... and he likes to reserve the power of veto..

My little girl accidentally opened a box of candy I had bought for my son's teacher and....well.... couldn't give her an opened box. In short...I repent...please forgive me...they were gourmet...

I am still maintaining. I don't think there is any chance of me competing in this October show...Oh well. I wan't to be 100% prepared and if there isn't time then there isn't time..

I am eating super clean today and despite the fact that I nearly ate myself into a hypoglycemic coma yesterday, I feel great

More later
XOXO
L2L
Old 07-19-2004, 02:48 PM   #3  
Mel

Another Monday so soon! Did back and bi's this morning, plus some balance work on a thick, high desity piece of foam. NOT fun at all. I have lousy balance, as all the bruises on my shins proclaim. Then half an hour of moderate cardio. Eats were perfect yesterday and so far today, and they're gonna stay that way! I have to; no, no comps or weddings or pictures, just I need to regain the sense of total control over my own actions. A friend on anyother board emailed this to me today and I'm pinning copies of it everywhere:

I've always thought that excellence in performance begins with a vision of where you want to go and a commitment to do what it takes to get there.

Commitment
Focused Connection
Confidence
Positive images
Mental readiness
Distraction control
Ongoing learning
Each of these elements is within your control!

L2L- October is still 3 months out! Make a plan, a chart, a spreadsheet. Despite the hypoglycemic coma, don't give up before you start Do you need a cheerleader or someone to kick your butt?

Hi Lieke- Don't you love cats? Ugh, I used to have one that expressed her displeasure that way. She trained us quickly to keep her happy. What region of France are you in? I love the little medieval hilltop villages. A few years ago dh and I bicycled through the Dordogne and Garonne valleys and dreamed of someday moving there. We were later told it was now called the "Weetabix Belt" because so many English retirees settle there.

Hi Jack- Don't fall in any ruts today!

Hello to all and have a safe day out there!

Mel
Old 07-19-2004, 03:23 PM   #4  

Meleris,
The show is actually 10 1/2 weeks away. It is Oct 2nd. I haven't ruled out entering completely. I have decided to start prepping and decide a couple weeks out (before the deadline) whether or not to enter. It is a big show. There were over 60 Figure competitors last year. 14 in my class. I came in a dissapointing 6th after being runner-up the year before. The differance? I was not nearly as lean as I needed to be. If the judges can't see it. It ain't there. No points for potential...
Anyway, I will 'head in that direction' and see how I much progress I can make. I don't want to make the mistake of "what the ****, I'll give it my best shot" and be dissapointed like last year when I know I am not at my peak.
Ok Blah Blah. Yes, I need a cheerleader and an A** kickin'!!

XOXO
L2L
Old 07-19-2004, 03:24 PM   #5  

P.S. I will see if I can find some pics
Old 07-19-2004, 03:36 PM   #6  

Here are some pics from my shows.
In my last show..as you can see.. I wan't lean enough
I am on the far left
http://www.quadfather.com/contest_re...igure_med1.jpg
another shot from the same show. The one-peice round
http://www.twixpix.com/contests/WA03...A03F32_02.html
[/url] earlier show when I was a bit leaner. Still too soft though
http://www.twixpix.com/contests/VN03...N03030_02.html
Here is a pic from when I used to compete in BodyBuilding. Before the NPC introduced the Figure division.
http://www.twixpix.com/contests/WA00...WA0013_01.html
another shot fromt he bodybuilding show
http://www.twixpix.com/contests/WA00...WA0013_03.html

I am more muscular now than I have ever been, but I still need a little more shape(ie: size) and I need to show off what little I have by coming in super trim.
FYI for anyone curious

XOXO
L2L

Last edited by luv2lift; 07-19-2004 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:11 PM   #7  

Those photos are stunning!
Old 07-19-2004, 07:56 PM   #8  
Mel

Wow! I love your arms and lats in the BB pics! I can't get my shoulders to grow no matter what I do

Mel
Old 07-20-2004, 05:48 AM   #9  
Meg

Good morning, gang!

L2L -- your pictures are incredible! You look fantastic and I know you say you weren't lean enough for the judges in your recent ones, but you look mighty lean to me! If you decide to go for another comp, you've got all of us behind you all the way!

Printing out the little piece about commitment -- it's a keeper.

Every muscle in my body hurts, I think, so this is going to be a cardio only day. Sunday was an incredible back workout with 45 minutes of abs thrown in for funsies. Yesterday I did legs for an hour and then Tuesday's workout (bi's and tri's) a day early for another hour since my buddy can't work out today. I feel beat up and HUNGRY! So off to cardio and back to clean the house.

Have a great day!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:03 AM   #10  

Hey everyone! First I have to say to L2L, I think you look amazing!! I would kill for that stomach! Good luck in your training for the next 10 weeks, you've got my vote for the next competition!

I'm on week 2 and down 6 pounds, so I'm pleased with that. I don't plan on weighing in again until next Sunday. That's when my next "free meal" is planned. I don't want to get stuck in that rut of being a slave to the scale. I'm trying to focus more on how my clothes are fitting. So far I can't tell a thing, but I've only completed one week right? I know...patience, patience. I feeling really good about my dedication this time round. And I'm really enjoying the weight lifting and cant wait to see some progress in being able to lift heavier!

I've got cardio today and my legs are still pretty sore from the LBWO yesterday, but hopefully I'll loosen up as the day goes. I wont be able to go until after work around 5:30 or so, so I hopefully I will have worked out some of the soreness by then. Everyone have a great day!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:17 AM   #11  
Meg

Congrats on the six pounds, Jacklyn! You sound like you've really got the this time -- I know this will be an awesome twelve weeks for you!

I did legs yesterday too and cardio this AM. I find that cardio helps with leg soreness, especially riding the bike. It seems to stretch out the sore muscles and get rid of some of the lactic acid buildup. The first five minutes can be a killer, though!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:25 AM   #12  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Afternoon everyone!

I went, I did it (chest and tris and a bit of cardio), I returned and … hadn’t packed quite enough to eat. I’m all right at the moment but I’ll have to eat something as soon as I get home and remember to have slightly more than usual for my tea. Otherwise I’ll be ravenous. I wouldn’t eat junk (we don’t have it in the house, thank goodness) but I would eat too much of the good stuff. And thanks, MrsJim, for your words on calories. A timely post, and the words went in. So action should come out, shouldn’t it? Clean (and moderate) eats, all!

MrsJim, L2L and Ilene – thanks very much for posting your photos. All quite inspiring in their different ways and very encouraging to me. Yes, very encouraging indeed. You all look great!

Lieke – well done in resisting those meringues! Those bakeries and patisseries can be so tempting, even to clean eats freaks like ourselves. I repeat, even to clean eats freaks like ourselves.

Jack – I hope those clouds will pass soon, old son. And though your figures are pretty impressive, less of the lazy and sloppy, please! Mind over matter.

Jacklyn – yes, you’re bound to loosen up as the day wears on. Keep on posting. We’re backing you.

Tiki – how’s the self-empowerment going? Remember how you’ve done it before and can do it again.

Meg, Mel and everyone else I’ve forgotten - be good to yourselves today. (Did you read that phrase ‘loving food choices’ somewhere else on the site? Brilliant.)

Love, Silverbirch.

P.S. Lovely posture, Ilene.

Last edited by silverbirch; 07-20-2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:46 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Super busy Monday so I'm just getting a chance to post.

Meg - I agree that cardio after a good leg work out helps a lot. I tried to convince a coworker of that but she couldn't get through the first 5 minutes. Oh well.

Jacklyn - Congrats on losing the 6 pounds. Keep up the good work.

Yesterday I dug through my purse for 10 minutes trying to find .75 cents to get some junk I didn't need. I am SO glad I planned ahead and removed ALL my change from my purse. It's like I'm Jekyll and Hyde sometimes.

Gotta go learn some new stuff here at work. will be back.

Tiki.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:10 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Better late than never!

Whew! Just got back from a great riding lesson. We've been having gorgeous weather in the Bay Area these days, just makes it WAY too nice to stay indoors, that's for sure!

This past weekend was fantastic too - my sister had a big BBQ on Saturday night and had some friends over. The kids were going nuts because sis bought about 500 small balloons and there was a major water balloon fight going on - their house is on a 1/2 acre lot and the backyard is huge so it was more like a water balloon WAR. My brother in law is King of the Grill, and made some really tasty salmon, with polenta on the side. YUM! Jim played his bass and a great time was had by all!

I've been so busy these days - besides work, horses and the gym, just loving my Pilates class. I've started taking yoga on Sundays as well (taught by the same instructor). The Pilates class is just a mat class right now, but my instructor is working on her Reformer certification - during her training period, she's going to be doing free Reformer sessions. I am so there! Practical Horseman had an article about the benefits of Pilates for riders - if you're interested the article is here ==> http://www.equisearch.com/sports/pilates050503/

So all in all, it's been a pretty busy summer thus far for me! However, starting tomorrow afternoon, I'm taking an 'enforced week off' to have a revision done on my TT. I have a tiny dog ear - which is a little bleb of skin that sticks out at the end of the scar. It's pretty common, although it doesn't happen with everyone...easy to fix - it's just done in the office using a local painkiller and snip - it's off! Then a few stitches, which come out about a week later. 'Til then I have to take it easy, so as not to undo the work. I must say I am SO THRILLED with the results of my TT - you can't really see it in those photos (and THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE COMPLIMENTS!!) but I have ab definition showing up - not a six pack yet, but definitely a two pack! I just feel wonderful! Although my abs aren't nearly as cut as L2L's are...WOW...

It's after 8 here in Cali, gotta eat something but before I go, just had to share this photo with y'all - everyone's probably familiar with the 1990 photo of me at around 240 pounds (25 pounds under my high weight). Here's one taken at the Jazzercise Convention in Sept 1991 - a little over a year later (no, I normally don't wear all that makeup and have my hair all poofy - I had just done a Glamour Shots sitting before this pic was taken)...I thought I was fairly skinny at the time, and compared to where I was just a year or so before, I guess so!

But time marches on...who says life ends at 40? not this gal!

Old 07-21-2004, 05:34 AM   #15  
Meg

Karen!

Oh my goodness! I've seen your old polka dot dress photo but wow! You have come a long, long way from that Jazzercise one! You look absolutely wonderful now.

Thank you for posting those pictures -- maybe someone will take a look and say to themselves: "OK, I can do what MrsJim did too. It IS possible to lose 115 pounds and keep it off for years without obsessing and regaining. You know, that MrsJim is always posting about how calories count and there's no magic pill and no shortcuts or quick fixes. She does cardio and lifts weight and eats carefully. Hmmmm ... could that be what works after all? -- cardio, weights, and clean nutrition (and weigh, measure and track -- the other holy trinity )? Maybe I don't need a name diet or elaborate exercise program. Maybe all I need is a good pair of gym shoes and Fitday and a little scale. I can do this!"

And Ilene -- I luvs the photos of your family that you put in our album. You're looking gorgeous, sweetie! And it looks like you're the shortest one in your family now too, like moi!

Tiki -- I laughed at your change story but little things like that have saved me too. Just yesterday I was starving before dinner and had just taken the plastic off a bag of microwave popcorn (definitely not on the food plan) when the phone rang and it was DD. By the time I was done talking with her, the urge for popcorn was gone. And it ended up being a good day, food-wise. Now dump out all your change before you leave the house! And remember, you can always cuss out the vending machines if they get on your nerves too much.

I read that if you're craving something that you shouldn't eat, you should visualize it in some disgusting way -- like covered in pus or maggots. I've been trying that and maybe it works? so far, so good (sorry if I grossed anyone out but I guess that's the point ).

SB -- you're sounding more like yourself these days. Are things looking up a bit for you? Glad you got to the gym!

Lieke! What a pretty name! Do you pronounce it LIE - KEY or LEE - KEY or am I completely off base?

I can't believe it's Wednesday already! Shoot, where did this week go? Shouldn't I have more done by now?? Good luck with the dog ear, Karen -- it will be a piece of (proverbial) cake, I'm sure. Tell your doc that she does GREAT work -- you have such a cute little flat tummy now!
Closed Thread