Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-30-2004, 11:51 AM   #1  

Default Protein Supplement

Hi Everyone

I am thinking about taking some sort of protein supplement because according to Fitday, I don't get nearly enough. So, any suggestions on what kind tastes best (powder, bars?) and what brands?
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:27 PM   #2  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

Hello, Atlantis! I have used a couple of different brands, but I like these two the best: EAS Precision Protein, and Designer Whey. Both, when shaken, lose their lumps nicely, but the latter stirs better if you don't have a shaker. They're both low carb, low sugar and low sodium, and they're both made from protein isolate, so they're absorbed into your system very rapidly. I never buy them in a store; I always do a froogle search and then do an online store price comparison to get the best current buy.

Since you mention that fitday says your protein is low, may I ask if you have considered increasing your intake of plain ole lean protein food? I do the protein supplement to make sure I'm getting my day's allotment of protein over 5-6 meals, but I still make a point of eating fish, chicken, turkey breast, cottage cheese, and the occasional lean beef. Hope this helps!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:45 PM   #3  
Mel

My favorites are SAN Anabolic Infusion, either Chocolate Peanut Butter or Vanilla Caramel Swirl, or HDT ProBlend 55 in Alpine Vanilla or Dutch Chocolate. I like a blended protein powder because it is more slowly absorbed, and you can also bake with them.

You can make a great "brownie" with the Choc. Anabolic Infusion. Take 2 scoops, add enough water to make a runny pudding, and nuke it for 2 minutes in a bowl. It comes right out of the bowl with a little help, and is exactly 1 meal for me.

I also buy online.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:11 PM   #4  
Meg

Default Ways To Add Protein

Hi Atlantis! A few thoughts to add to the great advice from Sarah and Mel -- like Sarah (and Mel) I like to get most of my protein from real food. I know most of us here eat five to six small meals per day, all with some protein. For me, the protein adds up quickly -- I hit 150g/day, easily. My protein sources are just like Sarah's (plus eggs and egg whites). I always have salmon and chicken and beef cooked and frozen (in individuals portions) and eggs and cottage cheese in the frig so it's on hand when it's time for a meal (about every three hours for me).

Mel and I both have protein bar recipes in the "sticky" here at the LWL forum -- much better tasting and better for you than any you can buy.

I recently got a free sample of chocolate Low Carb Ultramet from Champion Nutrition which I though was very good: 230 calories and 35g protein per packet. I use Low Carb Grow! from Biotest when I mix PP in my oatmeal.

I buy on-line also!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:07 PM   #5  

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I never thought of buying online. I'll definitely look into it. I’m looking forward to trying that recipe

As for getting protein from real food, I certainly try, but I am not much of a meat eater, maybe only once a week, and I don't eat eggs. I know there are other good sources, and I try to get as much as I can, but I think having a good supplement is important in my case.

Thanks again for the help!
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote