Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 11:42 AM   #16  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good morning LWL! I'm back in the gym this week, and so happy about it. Absolutely shredded my chest and shoulders this morning, and will definitely be so very sore tomorrow and Wednesday. As long as I'm ok to golf after work on Wednesday, that's fine with me! I joined our work league so I can be sure to get out there once a week.

I still have a lingering cough, but am feeling pretty good otherwise. The weekend weather was glorious, and I went down to the city park to get a sneak peek at the 200,000 tulips in bloom for next weekends Tulip Festival here. They are my favorite flower, so I couldn't resist - next week some will already be spent, and there will be too many people around.

As this is the start of a new month, I'm renewing my commitment to BFL - been a bit slack with food in the past couple of weeks, and need to stop that. I may actually want to think about putting on a bathing suit this summer (gulp!), and I need all the help I can get!

Hello to everyone, and welcome to our new and returning members. Meg, thanks for the Kerri Smith link - I'm really enjoying reading her articles. I think we should email the Post and see where she is.
Cindy
Old 05-03-2004, 11:57 AM   #17  

Greetings and salutations all. What a time it's been. I thought my troubles were behind me, since the inauguration is history, but life has been its usual complicated and thorny self over the last two weeks. Result: scale's up, exercise is down, food is on the dirty side. But today, life is looking good. I don't think I'll get to the gym today, but breakfast was clean and lunch will be, too.

I need to get real creative about my cardio because I've got a new wrinkle in my mornings. One of our furkids has been diagnosed as fear-agressive (read: he'll bite under certain circumstances), and he now requires extra walking, and intensive training. I am the chief vice president for dog training at our house, and morning is the best time to train. But I still need my 40 or 45 minutes on the treadmill (I just don't get the heart rate up when I walk the dog.) I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to cram more activities into the A.M., but I gotta do it. In a rush of enthusiasm, I bought two new pair of Size 10 dress slacks two weeks ago, and they need cardio, even if I think I don't.

Well chickies, as much as I would love to respond to each of your posts individually, I must run. Commencement week starts Saturday, and seeing as how I'm in all eight ceremonies, I have a killer to-do list.

However, before I go, let me thank Silverbirch for that lovely, lovely image of the Seventeen Kings. I know, I know ... I'm suppose to be thinking about posture and digestion, but instead I went in search of Margaret Mahy on the web. I'd never heard of her, but I was enchanted with the works I found online, and I was quite taken with her black standard poodle. And then I found myself remembering Rudyard Kipling's "Just So Stories" and the evenings my mom read them aloud to me many many years ago. Thanks for the memories Silverbirch.

Hugs to all.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:51 PM   #18  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Finally!

Here I am! The weather was just too nice this weekend (and we have another nice day today) to hang out on the PC much. Natually I *did* watch the Kentucky Derby...this one was exciting! We have so many Pennsylvania people here...I'm sure y'all must be pleased as punch that a PA-bred and owned horse ( Smarty Jones ) won and is the 1st undefeated Derby winner since the great champion Seattle Slew. Now, of course, I look forward to the Preakness and hoping we have a much-awaited Triple Crown winner - first since 1978. *fingers crossed*

Greekgirl - your cookbook idea sounds like a good one - HOWEVER I need to check with Suzanne (administrator here) about the legal ramifications. I know that a bunch of those recipes are from 'other places' so there might be issues there. Given that and if it is a 'go' as far as Suzanne is concerned, perhaps you might opt for making it a PDF document and posting it online for folks to download - dunno if we can do that here, but perhaps at the MSN/LWL photo site?

This week's gym menu for me: Cardio only - taking a break from the weights and going to regroup - in other words I need a new routine!

Tiki - was "Mean Girls" a good film? The only film on my agenda right now coming up is the new Harry Potter. I have a hot date planned with my precious nephew to see it, but this time we're planning ahead and NOT drinking a large Diet Coke during the film. I was about ready to DIE 3/4 into the first one but didn't want to miss a second!

Still totally hooked on "Deadwood" - last night's show was excellent again! Did I mention before that I've totally lost interest in The Sopranos???

Meg - on posture - my Mom was a real stickler for it when we were growing up - the whole 'book on the head' balancing act. And now that I'm riding dressage style (just beginning that is) the "core" is being even more emphasized by my trainer! (Besides, when you have a pair of headlights like mine, believe me, they look MUCH better when I'm sitting/standing straight...)

Oops - Jim just called and I'm meeting him for lunch - gotta run
Old 05-03-2004, 04:07 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Mrs. Jim - Mean Girls was pretty good. DD loved it, I enjoyed it also. The crew and I are also doing the countdown for Potter-3. We loved the first two as well as all five of the books.

Tiki
Old 05-03-2004, 05:32 PM   #20  

Hi all,

Just a shorty!
I'm glad that everyone thinks the cookbook is a good idea.

Mrs. Jim,I was planning to make a word doc out of it or my own use at first, but why not share? My initial idea was to just mail it to whoever of LWL or other is interested and PM's me for it when it's ready, and keep adding to it with recipes we all provide. Suzanne PMmed me about it, and I am waiting for her answer. In the meantime, I put an example up myself which is totally my own and thus incontroversial.
If there is a lot of interest, we might better PDF it or I'll be swamped in fanmail...

Had a crappy day, my gran called me this evening to say that my landlord had been harassing her (from Canada) and scaring her with lawyer talk. She's 90. I called him a month ago to cancel my let on the appartment in Athens from 1/6 as I will be staying permanently in France from now on, and now he's been really obnoxious, even though
I called his lawyer myself, and gave him my telephone numbers.

Well, ye can't have it all, I made some calls anyway and put my gran at ease...

Oh and Jack, you can learn cooking from the book or provide the editorial, how's that?

GG
Old 05-03-2004, 06:33 PM   #21  
Uber-Moderator!!

GG - Meg, Mel, and I are working with Suzanne on a possible Recipes subforum here in LWL...we'll keep EVERYONE posted on this. I'm glad you brought this to the forefront as the old Recipes thread badly needs to be revamped!

Meanwhile, I don't know if y'all have had a looksee at the 3FC recipes board...right now there are over 900 recipes there - http://www.3fatchicks.com/cookbook/
Old 05-03-2004, 08:21 PM   #22  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey guys,

I am meant to be finishing up here tomorrow but my boss has asked me to work for as long as possible... groan..... so I am here until at least Friday at this stage. I don't move for 3 weeks so I have some time up my sleeve.

Miss you all dearly.

JC
Old 05-04-2004, 02:47 AM   #23  

Hello everyone!

Mrs Jim, that would be great! My idea was just to bundle the best bb tips and recipes, not so much make a general cookbook with healthy recipes (I have bundled a lot of those anyway). A whole subforum would be great for general uses.

JEC, it's almost over only a few more days and you're out of there forever!

GG
Old 05-04-2004, 03:51 PM   #24  
Mel

Hey Jack! Smarty Jones is a PA horse just like the FLYERS are a PA team!

No time to post- life is chaos right now. For all the time I'm at the gym I should be at about 4% body fat by now

Congratulations to everyone who is doing well, remember the trinity (see Ilenes sig) for everyone else

JC- good to see you, hang in thee chickie!
Carrie- Welcome back

Mel (racing off to the gym with homemade protein bar in hand...)
Old 05-04-2004, 05:25 PM   #25  

What a difference a day makes! Forty minutes on the treadmill this morning; a quick training walk with the dog; clean meals; and looking forward to yoga tonight. I'm a different woman. I feel good in my skin again. The trinity is so simple; why do I make it so hard. Getting ready to pour here. Heavens probably won't open until I actually walk out of the building to go to the gym. Have a happy everyone.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:25 PM   #26  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

Good Evening Girls!

JC -- Nice to see you!

Robin -- It must feel good to be back in control again! I'm so terrible under stress, I admire you for coping so well...

Tiki -- You're pretty quiet girl... Wassup??

Meg too for that matter... WHERE IS EVERONE!!

Dip YOOHOO where are YOOOOU??

I feel good today, because I just had a major back workout with Luanne and my legs are sore from doing some one-legged deadlifts! I had never heard of those, but they are awesome!... My legs are so dead that I could not run today, I had to do the Eleptical my legs were like lead!

I also feel good because I just had a delicious turkey meatloaf...I'll post the recipe in the recipe section... I got it from Ledom in the Body/Eating for Life forum...

Hope everyone else is well...

Later all...

Other than that not much else...
Old 05-05-2004, 05:48 AM   #27  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Airegrrl – I’m delighted that you like Margaret Mahy and that you were transported back in time. Reading together is one of the very nicest things to do with a child. And reading is a gift for life.

Thanks for being here, everyone. Life is turning out busy again and food is still on the dodgy side. You have encouraged me to fit in a 40 minute walk down to the pier, up and down twice, and back up again. I’ll also do a bit more hula-hooping later on. My current personal best is 6 which I’ve not been able to do again, and most are 1 or 2! The gymn is going to have to wait until Saturday. Went to the beach with the Man and the Boy yesterday (I wore shades as it was bright and had my anorak hood up as it was raining – cool combo, I thought) and did a bit of running about. It all counts, doesn’t it?

Once again, thanks, each and every one of you. Knowing you’re there helps enormously.

Cheerio for now.

Silverbirch.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:47 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Yes, my queen, I am still here. I get on to read so I won't get behind but the job has been hectic to say the least. At least I get paid overtime so there's one perk. I'll be glad when the Board of Dir. meeting is over and done with and life gets back to normal. Food has been crappy, same for exercise. Tired=dumb decisions. I was going to drive to Tennessee for Mother's Day but decided that she would rather me rest, recharge my own battery and get back to taking care of me. Next week is the meeting and I know I'll be putting in 13 hour days for most of that week so I better rest up while I can.

Silver - 6 minutes hoola hooping without a drop???? IMPRESSIVE!!!! and yes, the shades with the hood up does sound cool.

Jack - I like your rooster.

AirreRobin - Good job on that AM workout. I wish I had something to walk but since I am not a dog person (tried and hated it), and cats don't do the leash thing, the best I can do is kick my pet rock up and down the street.

Peace. Tiki.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:19 AM   #29  

Good Morning Everyone,

I need you all today, having a terrible time getting on track since returning from vacation. I think I have vacation let down, my DH is back at work which means round the clock hours and I'm still hunting for a job, which by the way is the most horrible process, necessary but difficult. For the first time ever, I'm looking for a job because I want to not because I need to and for some reason I'm much more impatient about it.

So, food has been terrible for 3 days now, I've eaten out w/family members and put total crud in my mouth in a way I haven't in a while. I think I'm rebelling b/c I was so diligent about what I ate on vacation and internally I just cannot accept that. Part of me wanted to let go and eat whatever I wanted the entire week so now I'm making up for it, even though it truly makes me miserable and I don't even want or enjoy the food I'm eating. That's what happens when I go on a binge. Its so frustrating, why do I let myself be ruled by food?

So today is a new day and I've read the trinity and I believe in it because I know it works SO well. Had my oatmeal this morning and will continue with clean eats today. Hopefully tomorrow my head will be better too. Robin, you are so right, it only takes one or two good days to turn yourself around.

I'm focusing on my eating today, will work out tomorrow. I've been exercising right along, that isn't my problem. Whenever I feel myself slipping on my food plan, I panic that I'm not going to recover.

Anne
Old 05-05-2004, 11:48 AM   #30  

Anne,

Your post is so timely. I do *exactly* the same thing: adhere to the straight and narrow for days -- sometimes weeks -- and then, when the crisis/meeting/ceremony/vacation/holiday is over, I collapse into a paroxysm of sloppy eating, lazy living and lousy attitude. I have no doubt that this is some kind of head game, but I'm dammed if I can figure it out.

For me, it's a stress thing. I don't eat when I'm angry (fortunately, I'm unable to eat when I'm angry). Sometimes I eat when I sad or bored, but not so much. But when I'm stressed -- Katie bar the door.

The perplexing part is that I *know* how good I feel when I eat well and exercise -- even if the exercise is no more than a good brisk walk. And I also *know* how awful I feel when I overload on junk. And yet, I do it. I think it's that I keep looking for a "reward" for overcoming the crisis/meeting/ceremony/vacation/holiday; I want that ultimate feel-me-good treat.

And the truth is, there ain't no such thing. Eating doesn't satisfy that comfort search. Shopping doesn't either (I've tried buying quick fixes. Momentary pleasure; no lasting satisfaction -- although I've acquired some great earrings this way ). What I suppose I really need is rest, a bath, rest, a walk, rest, a really good meal or meals, and more rest.

There, you see -- I KNOW the answer (at least for me). Why can't I keep track of it? That's what I meant when I said yesterday that the trinity is so easy; why do I make it so hard?

So, Anne, I sympathize, just as I sympathize with Tiki and her 13-hour days; and Silverbirch and her project; and JC, with that awful mess at work (but an end in sight); and Mel and the jillion-hours-a-week-in-the-gym. And everybody who is trying to cope with lives that are overburdened and feel like they're spinning out of control.

So, let's brainstorm some solutions. One is to walk this walk one day at a time. If that's too hard, then one meal at a time. And if that's not doable, then one moment at a time.

Another may be to give ourselves a little slack. Thin people eat when they're stressed/sad/mad/glad on occasion, too. This is not a moral failing; we are not ax murderers.

Another idea is to quit beating ourselves up when we fall off the wagon. No one else is as hard on me as I am. Note to self: lighten up.

And finally, let's take credit where credit is due. We eat healthier than 3/4 of the population. We exercise more than 7/8. Many times when I overeat, I'm actually eating quite well, albeit too much. Many of you have said the same thing in recent weeks. And so, while it may not seem like it, WE ARE MAKING PROGRESS.

That's as far as I've been able to think this through today. But I'll keep mulling it over. In the meantime, hugs to everyone.
Closed Thread