Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 12:40 AM   #61  
For my HEALTH...

Smile

Hi Jennifer, We are meeting a lot tonight!

I have a tape called "Shaping Up with Weights for Dummies" that is easy to follow for a beginner.

I'm sure the terrific LWL ladies can also give you a

bunch of other suggestions as well. --Pookie (aka Gym Hamster on LWL)
Old 03-31-2004, 06:11 AM   #62  

Jennifer,

Here's a discussion from days past

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33298

Hi everyone. Time has gotten away from me this AM already, but I'll be back later!

dip
Old 03-31-2004, 06:54 AM   #63  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Jennifer here is a great site with mini-videos for form....
This is the main page:
http://www.exrx.net/index.html

For for a sample video....http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...rontSquat.html

It'll give you tons of ideas for a good workout plan and nutrition too...
Old 03-31-2004, 08:19 AM   #64  

Good Morning, You ladies have me laughing today, just when I need it. Yesterday turned into a totally crummy day. I was so stressed out that by 5 pm I just kept walking into the kitchen, opening/closing all food cupboards & fridge and walking out. It took every ounce of oomfph that I had not to stress-eat. But I made it & then I went to do cardio when my husband came home & today I feel great. Who cares if I have no career prospects and my son is terrorizing the k-garten teacher and my elbow is killing me?????

Nola - how hilarious, *snaps* for your hidious mittens. I'm sure my whole family will appreciate ugly washcloths as gifts over the next year. I haven't even learned how to knit yet!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm quite the cross stitcher though, have made some seriously cheesy disney character cross stitches that I basically ended up throwing away because I wouldn't even hang them in my own son's room. I buy the cheap ones at Wal-Mart and do them at night when I can't sleep. I have some beauties, especially the x-mas tree ornaments, every year my husband jokes about them and hangs them on the back of the tree. Oh well...maybe my knitted creations will be better received.

Dip - You made it another day. Yippeee for you!!!

Jessica - yes, I feel very in vogue as a future knitter. I keep talking about it to everyone as if I've just been knitting away for years. I'll let you know how it goes, I guess we'll have to take our private jet on our trip next month so I can bring on my needles

Ilene - hi to you & your sore buns. How's that hip feeling?

Hi Mel, Jiff, Jennifer, Meg, JC, Tidey, Karen & everyone else!!!!!!!!!

Anne
Old 03-31-2004, 10:56 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Aint this a BLIP??? Gone for one day and y'all almost tear the house down! Took me 1.5 hours to read all the posts but glad to see the various opinions from my e-family. I wouldn't trade any of you, unless of course lots of cash was offered.

Dip - you should have bit the hygenist and then blamed it on nerves due to not smoking anymore.

Ilene - are you still sore? GOOD!

TIDEY'S BACK!!!!!

Congrats Robin on the baggybackside pants. 15 days and counting now, right?

Hi to everyone else on this wonderful crazy website! When i said we were slightly dysfunctinal maybe I wasn't so far off the mark?

Just gotta share - I went to the simulcast of Prince's opening night concert in LA = 11PM start time in Detroit Monday night! That little bitty man put on one heckuva GREAT show. I didn't get in bed until 3AM and then had to be back at work at 8:30. I was whupped, but would do it all again.

HOWEVER, because I was whupped, I made some bad food choices yesterday evening - tired makes me stupid - but AM glad to say that I had my butt in the gym at 4:45 for 40 minutes on the track, plus shoulders and chest. I feel good today. Endorphins all over the place.

Meg - you are so right on the "good enough" thing. I think I'm half-way cute now, have more energy, digestive system working fine, but I know that there is much MUCH more room for improvement and I need to remind myself of that daily. Otherwise, I will screw this up and be back up around 170 AGAIN. Being in the gym this AM was a start. After last night, I had my doubts that I would do it but I did.

Oh well, back to the grind. I'm late for my fav - cherry low-fat yogurt snack.

Peace (and I MEAN IT!) Tiki
Old 03-31-2004, 11:08 AM   #66  
Meg

Quote:
Dip - you should have bit the hygenist and then blamed it on nerves due to not smoking anymore.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:44 AM   #67  
The Salad Guru

Hi again all

To Anne and others who offered MIL & DH advice, thank you. I was PO'd half of the day Monday but by afternoon i felt better and was non-hostile to my DH when he got home. Thankfully MIL visits are few, mabey once a month or less, so i think your right, just have to focus on me and DH. And he's out of the dog house cause he finished painting the baby's room last night

TIDEY!!! so good to see you again, we missed you! don't leave us for that long ever again that recipe sounds good. do you make this stuff up or find recipes on other sites or magazines/books?

Don't want to bring up the whole thread split issue again but since i missed it by 1 day, i would like to give my opinion: i probably would not have posted here if it was labled BFL, i still have not read the book- my library didn't have it . Although i can see the value to BFL-ers to have a thread to discuss those specific issues, i would hate to see this thread split up. I don't find anyone here pushy when it comes to opinions on diet, which is good cause i don't follow any specific diet-- i've tried it and just can't hack it. I think we can be pushy about heavy lifting, but i love that we are a bunch of iron-heads, that's just where i'm at right now.

Well speaking of that, i need some major motivation girls!! i feel i'm slipping away, i haven't lifted in a few weeks and don't feel the motivation to now, i've put on 1 or 2 pounds and i feel super flabby and gross. i look at the weight bench sitting in my garage, all clean and ready to go, and i just don't feel it. On top of that, my great grandmother is not doing so well and i can't stop thinking i should be going over there every day. She's 90 and she hasn't been feeling well for a while and refuses to go to the hospital, she's not eating well and i think she's starting to just give up, ya know.
Well, so i guess i should be either there or working out instead of writing, so i better go.
-E
Old 03-31-2004, 12:00 PM   #68  

Elasky - you have been doing so good, I am sitting here looking at your numbers and you have dropped over half your goal. Now is not the time to lose motivation. I wish I could tell you exactly what would motivate you but I can't because it is something different for each person. What I can say is that you will feel better if you get up and do it than if you sit around worrying about why you aren't working out. I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your great grandmother. I have one also that's 93 and the thought of her not feeling well bothers me. Get over and see her, talk with her, motivate her and let her long life be your motivation to work out and improve your life.

You are in my prayers.

Tiki
Old 03-31-2004, 01:09 PM   #69  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default MAN I got some catchin' up to do!!!

Elasky - let me second what our wise Tiki has said. Plus...I think THE TIME HAS COME to do something for Ms. Elasky. Now that doesn't mean go to the nearest Baskin-Robbins and buy one of their monster concoctions. That means do something NICE for yourself. Depending on your budget of course. Have hubby watch the kids for an afternoon and do something fun - get a massage or a pedicure...get a facial (or give yourself one!)...go window shopping - you're smaller now remember - ya know, even if it's not in my budget, I still like to go to the mall and try on things just to see what I can wear (yup, I'm still blown away by not having to shop in the large size racks!). Basically have a fun girly type of day. Oh and write down those feelings - PERSONAL JOURNALING is an incredible thing. I wouldn't be able to function some days without my little journal book from Old Navy.

Tiki - we saw Prince on the R&R Hall of Fame broadcast. You're right - the man is amazing. (And Jim would want me to add - he always picks GREAT bassists.) If I could stay up late enough to see one of his concerts I definitely would consider it, but this ol' broad can't seem to keep her eyes open past 9:15 most evenings. However...we ARE planning on seeing Heart (Ann & Nancy Wilson) this summer - ya know we were watching the documentary on Ann Wilson (who had Lap-Band WLS) a week or so ago and Jim saw that an old school friend of his (Mike Inez) is now Heart's bass player! He used to play with Alice in Chains and every time Mike and Jim have tried to hook up in the past, it's never worked out for whatever reason. Last time Jim heard from him was a few years back when he was playing with Ozzy, but Heart is going to be playing a very small, intimate venue here in the Bay Area so Jim is figuring that it would be easier to hook up with Mike there than at, say, the Shoreline Ampitheatre! Hopefully I WON'T fall asleep...

Anne - I've had many a day like that myself - out of sheer STRESS, checking to see what the Snack Fairy had left that wasn't there, say, 14 minutes before...

All you knitters! Man, I couldn't get past the Home Row when Mom tried to show us girls how to knit one, pearl 2. My Mom is the Champion Knitter and Crocheter - ALL my sisters and many of her friends have 'blankies' that my Mom has created whenever a birth or other life event has come up. (she gave Jim and I a crocheted white blanket for a wedding present, which was claimed by Chalupa Boy his second day here - he literally reached up and grabbed it off the quilt rack like "THIS IS MINE!!!" I think it's because he likes the white color - it matches his coat). Me, I was into embroidery and counted x-stitching a long time ago, but it's really hard to read and x-stitch at the same time...

Miss Jennifer - GREAT suggestion from Ilene - I was going to suggest the www.abcbodybuilding.com site as well. (hey I just did!)

Howdy to the rest of y'all! I've got to get some actual WORK done today, so gotta skedaddle for now...
Old 03-31-2004, 01:35 PM   #70  
Ilene the Bean

E -- A suggestion here just put aside 15-20mins/day for a week to start getting you back in the swing of things... that time could be before seeing your grandma or after... OR tell yourself you won't go till you exercise at least 15mins before going out the door. Tik has a great incentive there to look at her 90 yrs of wisdom to motivate you, after all at 90 I'm sure she must be in pretty dang good shape to live to this ripe old age...

Anne -- for not letting the stress get to you! That "stress eating" has got to be the worse... and close behind is "fatigue eating" right Tik?

My Butt is very sore, THANK YOU everyone for asking... but as you probably know I love it, but I am taking a break from the gym today, just 'cause I want to, no particular reason...

Hello to everyone else .... DIP special prayers to you for an extra boost of will power in your stop smoking endeavour...

Later all.....
Old 03-31-2004, 03:44 PM   #71  

haha wow youre all amazingly busy

as for the recipies, most of them are just my own ideas out of sheer desperation to never eat plain chicken or boiled potatoes

Tidey
Old 03-31-2004, 03:47 PM   #72  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Mel - Regarding knitting needles on flights. The advice I got was to stick the knitting needles into a notebook while it's going through security. Then, they look like writing implements. Once you're on the plane, you went through security so you can argue that they're fine. I've also heard the advice to take wooden ones. Or use pencils.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:31 PM   #73  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Well I had a quick read but don't have much time at the moment to reply. Just wanted to know that I am thinking of you guys!! Food and exercise are good too.

So incredibly busy at work - it's a nightmare.

JC
Old 03-31-2004, 06:14 PM   #74  

JC - I bet you are. It's end of month and you are an accountant. Hang tough, the peanut gallery will be here when you get free.

Tiki
Old 03-31-2004, 06:50 PM   #75  
For my HEALTH...

Just a quick Hi to my LWL buddies. I am still getting so much information and INSPIRATION from your forum. Thanks for letting me visit.

I am still doing my handweights and my GAZELLE. I have recently lost 27 lbs but have a loooong way to go.

Thanks for all the great tips and encouragement. --Pookie
Closed Thread