Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 12:49 PM   #46  

A flurry of activity here! Makes for fun reading during my k-garten break! Congrats Robin on your loss. Awesome!

Dip - I'm laughing about the hygenist thing, not that its funny, its just that I have a total love/hate relationship with my dentist & hygenist. A year ago I went and they cleaned my teeth - took about 12 mins, literally. 6 mos. later I go back and need a full scaling and get the "you know, bacteria between your teeth can irritate your gums and cause bleeding...." lecture. So condescending!! Anyway, now I'm sort of afraid of my hygenist or something. She can be very self righteous (not all hygenists, just mine, don't want to offend anyone). But I can imagine how your visit went.

Karen - I totally relate to your point that the food will still be there tomorrow. That is something I always tell myself and feel so silly about, too. At family parties or special occasions I feel like I have to have the special treat being offered because if I don't I'll never have the chance again! I always remind myself the bakery up the road from us is very busy and not going out of business anytime soon so the junky food is always available. And actually, I only go there once in a blue moon, but I know its there.

Last week I was complaining about boredom and everyone here basically told me to find a hobby - I knew that already but after hearing it from you all I went and joined a knitting group. Can I knit? NO! But can't wait to learn. Starts Tuesday, we're making cotton dish cloths.

The weather in NH is so Marchlike today, cold, raw, overcast, blah. I'm going to go read my book in bed til the bus shows up.

Anne
Old 03-30-2004, 01:52 PM   #47  

Hi ladies!

I'm back from my trip to the Bay Area, and BOY do I have a lot of posts to catch up on! I had a great time and the weather was even great most of the time I was there.
I must admit to enjoying an In-n-Out Burger but I'm getting back on track now.

Anyway, I'll try to post again later but wanted to pop in and say hi.

Sabrina
Old 03-30-2004, 02:26 PM   #48  
Mel

HI THERE TIDEY! WELCOME BACK

And congratulations to the belt tighteners. Great work, Robin, Tik, Cindy, AAB!

I wish I could add my name to the list, but nothing has changed in ages. I can lift more, push more, curl more, but nothing changes in the size or scale departments. I guess that's what maintenance is all about.

Dip- Hang in there! Think of all the $$ you'll save to spend on your new wardrobe You're an incredibly strong and disciplined woman- you've already show us that. I know you can do this

Welcome back, Sabrina. Glad you had a good trip. Was the In and Out Burger any good? We avoided them last summer when dh and I were out there. But I more than made up for the calories with winery visits

Today I had a lot of cancellations and get to spend more time at home. It feels wonderful. Actually got my workout in first thing, because my first client cancelled. I did a cardio session before I went to the gym, then hit bis and tris at the gym I feel very unsatisfied with a split that puts arms together because I don't feel like I've worked a major muscle group, but I'm going to give this a try for a while. I've been doing my old split for WAY too long.

I think I'll go take a nap- what a luxury!

Mel
Old 03-30-2004, 03:00 PM   #49  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hurray - Tidey's back and she gave us a new recipe! We missed you girl!
Old 03-30-2004, 03:05 PM   #50  

THANKS, YOU GUYS! It helps to know you have faith in me.

Mrs. Jim - That post hit home with me, and I thank you for it. One of those profound beauts that I just had to copy and add to my WORD journal.

And Meg, you're right about the scale - I've got to get over it... for now. I keep telling myself if I can beat food, I can beat this. Actually, my treadmill cardios have been more intense because I can run sprints longer. What a difference! and *that* keeps me inspired not to light up.

I'm still planning on progress pics at the end of the week too. Ilene?

Hey Mel! Glad you got some time to yourself. Naps are my hobby, LOL.

Anne - thanks for sharing that about your hygienist. Sounds like mine when I first started with them a few years ago.

check back later-

dip
Old 03-30-2004, 03:28 PM   #51  
Old Cackler

anne.... knitting is GREAT!!!!! keeps both hands busy, is sensuous. and you end up with great things to wear and to use that are made with love!!!

and it's one of my stress coping mechanisms.. right now, i have a pair of socks for my nephew sitting in a bag under my desk.

but beware the yarn stash1!!! some knitters have been known to add rooms to their houses just to keep their yarn there!!! one knitter i know calls her stash her 'knitting 401K' for after she retires and can no longer afford the yarn!!!!

keep us posted!!!!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:07 PM   #52  
Mel

LOL! Yarn 401K! Jif, I'm like that with fabric. I did have an entire room full of it, and gave most away to the local middle school 2 years ago. I'm well on my way to refilling it!

Hmm....if I gave up my fabric aquisition program, I could keep my treadmill IN the house instead of the garage. Would make for much warmer treading in the winter, which is the whole point of owning the silly thing
Old 03-30-2004, 05:17 PM   #53  
JEC
Aussie and proud

ok I am around but suddenly got very busy at work. I will get back to you on the wedding though soon!

JC
Old 03-30-2004, 05:51 PM   #54  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Wicked Wednesday!

G’ day!

Tidey!! You are back!! I was thinking of you last night on the train ride home!

Just wanted to say to everyone here that I really enjoy your company. I think it is amazing how we come together with common interests from around the world, Tidey in Sweden, our Canadian and American friends, and even over here in Australia, we are all in this together.

I may not post every day, but I do try to visit at least once to catch up, even if it is in the afternoon, when my resolve is at its lowest, and hearing that someone is going through the same issue….

Dip – keep up the non-smoking campaign. I am an ex-smoker myself and will never be a non-smoker in my head. Still a daily battle for me. One that I succeed in winning every day tho! I agree, LB1 was heaps better… but LB2 did have some funny moments… we have a snap cup at work….. but instead of positives, we slag off people who drive us crazy!! *Snaps* for Joe Blow who jammed up the photocopier and walked away leaving it for me to fix!

Knitting - - OMG! My grams taught me a few years ago, and I became addicted. I made the ugliest mittens and toque for my aussie hubby. As horrendous as they look, he still wore them, maybe it had to do with the sub zero temperatures of Edmonton in December, or the fear I would say no to the engagement proposal!! Ha ha ha Cross stitch is my fav thing to do while watching TV and staying out of the kitchen. I have been known to go all day well into the evening on a project! Blame it on my Mom, she is also an addict! One of my guy friends calls cross stitch the only ‘girlie’ thing Nola does. A bit of a ying yang of my personality. Like my Ducati riding, Volvo driving friend that got me into motorbikes?

I am going to the dentist soon! Have not been for 2 years since I moved here…… Would love to get some veneers… but the bank account does not agree with that want!

Well…. I must get back to work… or should I say start!!!! Must get a cup of tea before I read the email and get my voice messages I have already!!

Have a great day everyone!

Nola.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:53 PM   #55  
Ilene the Bean

Hey girls

Dip -- Hang in there girl! And, yes, I will post pics by the end of the week, (head down sulking away) altho I don't wanna, but I must!! Your cardio workouts will rock most definitely from now on... If you want to keep your hand busy too start knitting and you and Anne can compete?!? yes? no?

Anne -- All kidding asside you will love knitting! Those cotton wash cloths are about all I can do, but when I start making one I make like 20, and give to everyone who will have one...

Karen -- Your post reminded me of when I was a kid, my mom used to reprimand me for eating too fast, and saying that it wasn't my last meal, snack or whatever! One more thing to remember when the urge to splurge hits!... Dang! Think Think Think is all I do!!

Meg -- My bootie is going to tomorrow... It is sooooo sore... I went to the gym and did LBWO... Then this afternoon I went out and distributed 192 flyers!!! The first 100 I did alone, then took a break from it at my Mom's. Then for the 92 others she came with me... She's 75 and out of shape, she did 30 houses at least, well I'm sure she'll be sleeping very well tonite... She's impressing the heck out of me lately... I can't believe she joined an exercise group at the church, 3 times/week at that! Plus she came and walked with me! You have to know my Mom, she bucks exercising at every turn, who woulda thunk that at 75 she would change her mind!! Go figure! I was very proud of her... ALL that to say that my BUTT is gonna scream tomorrow!!

I'm also very exhausted...I will sleep like a log tonite, it's not even 6 and I'm thinking of my bed...

Later all...
Old 03-30-2004, 06:34 PM   #56  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Anne - I have always wanted to learn to knit. I am going on a trip to England this summer and plane rides kill me. I can't sit still for that long. Anyway, a woman that owns a primo expensive yarn company is a friend of mine. She suggested I take it up. It is so vogue right now! Let me know how it goes.

Jiffy - You made me laugh! When you talked about anything that might shrink the amount of catching up you have to do on LWL. I was thinking the same thing! LOL.

The Cute Boyfriend has been out of town this week but I'm flying up to San Francisco on friday to visit. I love SF. Lots of walking, beautiful sites. A bit too cold but I'm thin blooded now. Can't wait to go. I think I'll skip the "Eating your way through Chinatown" walking tour.

April 1st is exactly one year away from my 1/2 Ironman goal. I'm starting to have doubts. Sometimes I think, "Heck yeah, I can do this." and other days I think, "who am I kidding?" I think part of it is being to hard on myself. I can't run a half marathon right out of the door but it's certainly feasible. That self-talk can be oh-so frustrating!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:19 PM   #57  
Ilene the Bean

Jessica -- A half iron man marathon? I know you can do it! Why the heck not? So go for it...
Old 03-30-2004, 08:06 PM   #58  
Mel

Jessica- You can't take knitting needles or crochet hooks on planes anymore! When I flew last time they confiscated some poor woman's 3/4 completed very complicated sweater. She was in tears.

Just back from the gym. Boy, it really is testosterone alley at night. I'm glad I can be there in the morning or during the day.

I've been trying to use a picture of myself as an avatar. I don't like this one at all, but I can't seem to get it small enough to be accepted as a custom avatar. I'm using photoshop, but still can't de-pixel it enough. How do the rest of you make your own pics into avatars?

Mel
Old 03-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #59  
Lovin' Zumba!

Mel- I just use MS PhotoIt and reduce the size of the photo. If you'd like, you can send me your photo and I'll do it for you.
Cindy
Old 03-31-2004, 12:13 AM   #60  
WW Moderator

Hi all! I have a question about weight lifting instruction. I really don't like following still photographs for a lifting routine. Is there a video that anybody can recommend for a beginning (again) weight lifter? I lifted regularly when I was 17 - so much has changed! I am ready now to get back to it but I do prefer something to follow along with. The only video I have seen so far is Kathy Smith and I'm not sure it was what I am looking for.

Thanks!
Closed Thread