Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 07:43 AM   #1  

Default LWL #143 --- Week of Feb. 23-29

G'morning all.

I seem to be the first one up. The day, and the week, are off to a great start -- 30 good minutes on the treadmill; 20 good minutes training all 3 dogs; scrambled eggs inhaled; lunch packed. Oh, that it was always that easy.

Now, Nola ... you listen to me. Turn your back on that demon scale. It's all a head game. You're doing all the right stuff, and you will get all the right outcomes. Hang in there!

Hmmm ... this is very hard, trying to remember the last posts of the previous thread But Tiki, I also come here whenever I find myself teetering on some darn precipice (rememeber my muffin?). Sounds like you handled it all very well indeed. And how's your mom doing?

JC, take care. Although there are many things I miss about Los Angeles, where I was born and raised, the downside of big city life isn't one of them. Although no place is perfect, of course, Bloomington, Indiana, is a much safer place to be.

It's going to be 50 degrees here. Guess what: no long underwear for me! Heck, I might even wear a skirt. Gotta run chickies ... have a great one everyone
Old 02-23-2004, 08:38 AM   #2  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good morning LWL!

Had an inspired chest and shoulder workout this morning - man, am I going to be sore!

Overindulged in carbs last night while watching the last episode of SATC - was planned though, as I didn't have any other free meals last week. Not feeling as sluggish this morning as I thought I would. Guess salty snacks are the lesser of the evils for me. Need to drink lots of water today to counteract the sodium affect.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Cindy
Old 02-23-2004, 09:33 AM   #3  

Good morning all, nice to be back.
Well two weeks ago (as most of you are aware), my aunt passed away. And I was doing well up to that point on my exercising, although my eating could have been cleaner, it was not that bad. But you know what happened....I went back home for the funeral and guess what, eating good out the window, and dropped off the workouts for a whole week. So I could sit and beat myself up about it, or I could decide that it is only one week and a couple days and a new week has begun. So I choose the latter, and on top of that I have decided to have clean eats all the way, with cheats only on cheats day. So I did a terrific workout today, cardio for 20 minutes on the treadmill and one hour of lower body. I even added a few sets of lunges and a few sets of squats at the end to really feel the burn. And woo am I feeling it now, I hardly have the energy left to lift my legs to walk.

I think I just got to the point where I decided if i wanted the body; i gotta do the work!

Well nice to be back and nice to see everybody this morning, have a terrific week and burn, baby burn cause I am gonna!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:21 AM   #4  

Good morning everyone, Wow you guys write! I was away for 4 days and the posts mount up!
Jen - I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. But good for you deciding to put the past behind you and forget about your bad eating and not exercising and to start anew. Nothing can shock your good habits and send you running back to the old ones like a death of someone you love.
Well being sick defidently had one advantage...I was finally able to watch Dr. Phil and Oprah...You are always talking about them and I had never watched them. And also...I haven't been watching SATC since the 2nd season but what happened last night? Please tell me she didn't end up with Mr. Big!!! I hated that guy
Well I hope everyone has a great week! I'm going to try and catch up on the posts and write more later. Have a great one!
Melissa
Old 02-23-2004, 10:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Morning all,

Jen - you have the correct attitude about dealing with last week - it is in the past. Make this week count.

What is SATC? I'm not a big TV watcher but this acronym keeps popping up so now I am nosey.

It is supposed to be in the fifties here in Knoxville today. If I can't get into the gym, then I will run a couple of sets up the big hill by mom's house. The hill is so steep and is an entire block long. When we were kids we used to sled down it on the few occasions we got enough snow. haha. We didn't have a sled - very little snow meant no need to buy one, so we used an old empty refrigerator door. All five of us would climb in and off we would go.

Learned a VALUABLE lesson on the drive down. NEVER do 6 sets of lunges, squats and leg presses and then get in a car the next day for an 8 hour road trip. By the 2nd hour in the car, I was wishing I could drive standing up. OUCH!

Mom is doing good. She wants to go walking again today so that is definitely on the calendar. Her best friend told her that she could forget about ever losing all the weight that she has gained over the past two years because "people with back problems can never exercise and get slimmer." Of course Mom took this as a direct challenge. I just hope she remembers that she needs to start off SLOWLY to let herself heal properly and THEN pick up momentum. When we went out yesterday, she tried to powerwalk so I had to tell her to slow down, the track wasn't going anywhere and it would still be there tomorrow. She grudgingly agreed.

My DD is up so I better get off here and start fixing breakfast.

Peace. Tiki
Old 02-23-2004, 10:32 AM   #6  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Sex and the City Tik. It was a big deal for the loyal fans. And yes Melissa, she did end up w/ Mr. Big. You know he wasn't my favorite either, I had a big crush on Aiden. But Carrie seemed happy, it was inevitable.

Last edited by ledom; 02-23-2004 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:34 PM   #7  
The Salad Guru

hello again everyone.
busy weekend for me and didn't get to check in, skimmed through the rest of last weeks posts.
Mel- are you a nutritionist? a nurse? you must be right about that calcium magnesium thing cause someone else said they take a supplement that has both. one of my friends borrowd all my nursing books and i need to get them back, i had a really good one on fluids and electrolytes. I really need to brush up, i've been off the floor for over a year now-- don't use a lot of my skills working in the birthcenter, getting rusty on stuff.

i worked out 6 days last week , 3 weight training sessions and 3 cardio. took the weekend off and was back today for 40min of cardio. Thursday i introduced my workout buddy to squats on the smith machine, she called me the next day and said he quads hurt so bad she could barely function at work and she was calling me bad names . i just wish i had someone to push ME, well that's why i'm thankfull for you gals . even though long distance...you inspire me!
-E
Old 02-23-2004, 01:49 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Good morning everyone. Well, I pushed myself even more this weekend and was a little sore (mostly back and shoulders) on Sunday. I am going to be setting up an appointment with a trainer in a few weeks and she mentioned showing me some free weights, I know that will help.

You guys are always talking squats and lunges. **sigh** I guess I'll have her show me those too. I know I need to if I want to be serious.

Never watched SATC. Don't get HBO.

Am going to try and get in some cardio tonight. I have been doing 25 minutes of my step tape, maybe I will see if I can bump that up a little.

Happy Monday!!
Old 02-23-2004, 02:21 PM   #9  
Losin Susan

Well my first BFL day got off to a rocky start. I was up late last night studying and I missed the first showing of SATC so I stayed up til 12 to see the next one. Then, I didnt fall asleep til somewhere around 4 . I couldnt force myself to get to the gym before school but, I was determined to get my meals off to a good start, but I spilled my protein shake all over the newspaper on the table and so all I had was a plum I snagged while running out the door. Sooo...I am off to the gym now. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Btw, I cried probably the last 15 mins of SATC, I'm such a sap.

Ilene - I'll definately be taking some before and progress pics. I plan on picking up some film after I hit the gym.

Thanks for all the well wishes in starting BFL. As long as I stay away from chocolate I think I'll be ok.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:58 PM   #10  

Hello again,

I pop in here ever once in a while when I have a moment of clarity..or is it panic? I then realize I need to exercise! Although it seems to only be a temporary state of being for me The last time I had purchased this HUGE weight machine from Costco...Well, I (yes I with my kids help) Put this thing together...it was way TOO big for my dining room, should have measured, took it back. Well, the next moment of clarity sent me to the gym, now I have joined and canceled before, but this time I signed a years contract, so I might as well use it huh I have been going for almost a month now, only 2 days a week, cause I didn't want to scare myself again We'll see how long this one lasts, ha ha.

So I thought I would say hello AGAIN. hope to see ya around.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:15 PM   #11  
Mel

Long day at the gym! I had a client every hour from 7am on. Luckily, one cancelled on me so I was able to get my own workout done. Chest and tri's today, went heavier than usual. Then I stayed a half hour at the end to do cardio. End result was that I didn't eat meal 3 until 4 pm as was ready to chew through the lid to get to my chicken salad. I think I have a few kinks to figuring out this new lifestyle! Good work, though, considering I have a cold and a still sore, but better, shoulder.

My weekend went well- clean eats but no workout unless you include shivereing at a lacrosse tournament. I avoided all the yummy tailgate food and stuck to turkey breast and naked salad, then went and got in the car with dd when the desserts started calling. We got to have an infrequent, long, face to face chat without getting fat. And we were a heck of a lot warmer than the players and parents scarfing down brownies!

Elasky- I'm a personal trainer, currently working on a certification in sports nutrition.

Jen- Glad to see you back. Last week is over- I'm sure it was a high stress week, onward!

I don't get HBO either, so SATC was never a mania of mine. I know a few people in deep mourning today, tho.

I'm hungry and I just ate. Hmmm, better go stave off disaster with a chunk of chicken or something clean,

Mel
Old 02-23-2004, 05:15 PM   #12  
For my HEALTH...

Angry Don't kick sand in my face please

I know I don't belong here, but I wanted the fun of posting once on the "pumping iron" forum before I run back to my regular "weakling" forum

I brought two dumbbells today. I had to laugh because the salesman looked like ARNOLD S with huge muscles and I am asking about the 2 or 3 lb weights.

He had to dig in the back to find the 2 lb weights but at least he didn't call me a "girlyman"

Just kidding he was very patient with me and didn't look down his nose at the "weak" lady with no upper body strength. He didn't even kick sand in my face.
Now I have to dig out those weight lifting for "dummies" tapes I have so I can figure out what the heck to do with these 2 lb weights
Ok I'm leaving now. Bye Pookie
Old 02-23-2004, 05:29 PM   #13  
Mel

Pookie- I just read the exercise thread on the WLS board yesterday. You ALL belong here Everyone is welcome no matter what size weights they use. Glad you started.

ps: is Peach still on the ground trying to do her pushups?

mel
Old 02-23-2004, 05:49 PM   #14  
Meg

Default Pookie!

Pookie! I am SO happy to see you here! And now that you're here, you can't leave -- ever! You're now stuck in a gym with the rest of us and Mel's a personal trainer, ya know ... and she has all sorts of ideas ....

LWL, say hi to Pookie. I met her over in the WLS forum, where the esteemed Jiffypop is dragging her ladies to the gym kicking and screaming. I hope some more wander over this way!

Seriously, Pookie, everyone here had a first day with weights. Everyone here started with 2# dumbbells. You've got to start somewhere, you know? And who knows where you'll end up !

Pookie, you go grab Peachie and drag her over before she can run away!
Old 02-23-2004, 06:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi Pookie!

Meg and Mel are correct. If you post here, you stay here and yes, we all started with "girlyweights". And no, we don't kick sand here, unless we are running on a beach somewhere.

Mel, Great job on using family bonding to help avoid sweet treats. I'm also glad you didn't eat through the lid to your lunch. Plastic has NO nutritional value, whatsoever.

Hi everybody else.

Made it to the gym this afternoon for an awesome bi-tri and lower back workout. I did the incline bicep curls and Ouch! I loved it.

I am also trying exercises that target the lower back to see if that helps with the lower back pain I am feeling on squat and leg press days. I put in 45 minutes in on the tread as well.

I am feeling really pumped right about now. I better go outside and use this adrenaline rush while I still have it.

Peace. Tiki.

Last edited by tikanique; 02-23-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Closed Thread