Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 08:10 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL #140---Week of Feb.2 - 8

Happy February! Hope no one else has the salty carb Superbowl blues like I do Ilene, you're right! I'm out of any next 7 da y challenge. That was the worst 7 days I've had in at least 2 years. It was a good idea, Tik, but I guess I'm still anti-authority.

My goal is to get back to where I was 2 weeks ago! Not real lofty, but it would be an improvement.

Today is cardio, and I can't remember without looking at my log book! This rolling split is too complicated, and I'll probably go back to a 7 day for my own sanity after this week.

Off to the torture machines-

Mel

LOL! Meg- just went to delete my new thread and discovered you were doing the same!

Last edited by meliris; 02-02-2004 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:21 AM   #2  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Goodmorning Mel. I find it interesting, your troubles w/ the 7 day challenge, because I have experienced that same phenomenon. Is it anti-authority that does it? A sure way for me to sabotage myself is to make a public commitment when it comes to how I am going do such and such regarding weightloss/dieting. These boards can be so helpful, or if you aren't careful, a source of agitation and regret.

From reading the weekend posts, sounds like some good cooking and food preparation going on. Also some good workouts. The new month feels like a new beginning to me and I am looking forward to a great Feb.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:24 AM   #3  
Meg

Default Lifting Like A Girl

Good morning, everyone! So that stupid rodent up in Punxsutawney says there's six more weeks of winter -- bah.

I've done cardio and loaded up on groceries already this morning since we have another ice and snow storm coming in tonight and yet another predicted for Thursday. Legs at noon and lots of errands on the schedule before the weather gets bad.

I have a funny gym story to share: My workout buddy and I did bi’s and tri’s yesterday. We’re doing cable curls and a guy (ex-Marine-type, a little older than I am) asks to work in — fine. No problem until he starts making “jokes” about women in the gym, little dumbbells, hair curlers, lifting like a girl etc. etc. Real macho guy stuff. Now I’m no Mel in the gym and don’t have strong arms by any means … but my buddy gets this devilish twinkle in his eye and starts putting the pin in the stack on my sets at the same weight that Mr. Macho was using, so I’m matching him set for set (and my buddy is pushing down on the weight stack to give me resistance on the negatives). Somehow I rose to the occasion and ending up doing curls at 30# more than I ever have before. Mr. Macho was losing his mind. Got to say I loved every minute of it, though my arms are paying the price today.

My next project is to make a T-shirt that says “I Lift Like A Girl”.

Meg
Old 02-02-2004, 08:38 AM   #4  

hi all

just a quick one:

workouts and food were on until thursday last week! not bad friday i managed to catch a cold, which (on top of having guests and going out) put a damper on my weekend. Now Im home sick from school, and trying to figure out when I can go back to the gym. Not today, anyhow.

I made it thru the last couple weeks with my mini-goal met (lost the xmas lbs) and now Im going to make the end of febuary my next goal: lose the tummy! (as much as possible). Im going to take today as a free day, because I hardly ate at all this weekend (litterally, veggies a few grapes, a mcd's cheeseburger and a handful of chips was all i ate in 3 days.. terrible I know!)

Well, im off to indulge in tea, orange juice and soda crackers. Hope you're all doing better than me! Despite the cold I feel like I met my goal so Im quite pleased dispite it all

Mel, Ilene, and the others who are "anti-authority".. I long since realised I will only be able to do this (stay on plan) on MY terms, so I avoid "hardcore" challenges and just go with the flow, staying as clean as I can. If I see eating a raisin as failure it just makes things harder, you know? Thats why I have avoided readint the clean -eats threads altogether heh great idea for some, but not for me (perhaps challenges are my "bananas" ahehehe)

Dip, good luck with the PT certification, I think you'll be fab

Hi to everyone else and keep up the good work! *HUGS*

off to rest
Tidey
(sick....again!)
Old 02-02-2004, 09:20 AM   #5  

Good Morning and Happy FEB back at ya!

Meg - too funny.

Rain, sleet and snow suppose to start here soon, and maybe the same stuff you're expecting tonight. I was thinking I need to get out early on my job hunt, but then remembered what screwy hours Curveses (LOL) have, so I better call ahead. I'll probably hit the other 2 gyms first.

Listening to the TODAY Show this AM, Laura Bush was on for women and heart disease. Mrs. Bush says she lifts weights, but I wonder if she *lifts* weights, like we do or the lighter version. Anyone know?

Tidey - sorry you're sick again, poor baby. Take care and don't push it. And thanks for your vote of confidence.

For Feb I'm trying a new twist based on Dr. Phil's Rapid Start Plan, but basically going for no starchy carbs after Noon, stick with extra protein for muscles, drink 140 oz of water (but before 6PM) and the biggie, trying not to eat after 6 PM and go to bed by 9PM. And make a bigger effort to go to the gym for pilates/yoga ("mat science") classes. I also need to get a grip on my household schedule and allow for study time.
Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-CHANGES!

Hi to all and hope everyone has a great day, on plan and working it hard. Check back later.

dip
Old 02-02-2004, 09:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

HI ALL

I am feeling bad for ever issuing the clean eats challenge. I don't think I'll do that again.

Meg - I am so proud of you! People like that need to have their eyes opened to the fact that women can be just as strong (if not stronger) than many of their male counterparts. I bet he will never admit to any of his buddies that he got showed up by a "mere girl."

Tidey - Get well quick.

I DID IT! I got up this a.m. at 4:45 and was in the gym by 5:20 for an hour of cardio. It was so warm here this morning - 18 degrees - that I had no excuse not to go. Because I ate 4 skinless fried chicken breast tenders last night (oops!) I had PLENTY of reasons to go.

Peace. Tiki.

Last edited by tikanique; 02-02-2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:08 AM   #7  

Good morning everyone!
Ai yi yi! I was bad this weekend! Usually I'm pretty good at controlling cravings but damn...when someone brought cupcakes to the Super Bowl Party all my will power went out the window! Oh well, a new week...
Meg - Congrats on showing up that guy! I hate people like that...they are part of the reason I was so embarrased to lift for years and so didn't do any!
Tidey - Hope you feel better soon! Enjoy the soda crackers
Have a great day everyone!
-Melissa
Old 02-02-2004, 11:00 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Hello LwL!!

I'm having a busy morning... Took D to get a CAT scan for her knees... Came home washed floors, took a break to watch Survivor that I taped last night... S is coming home soon for lunch... I'll be a good mommy and make him a sandwich and soup... It's a beautiful sunny day here! No plans for any storms that I know of... Doing legs and maybe some cardio depending on how the legs feel after the workout, this afternoon... Food in planned and on target!...

That's it that's all folks!

Later...

P.S.: Tik -- Don't feel badly about the challenge, how were you or we to know it would flop!... Live and learn...
Old 02-02-2004, 11:23 AM   #9  

Hi everyone.

Hey Tiki, don't feel bad about that challenge. I thought it was a nifty idea, so you see, it's different strokes for different folks. And anyone who can get up before 5 a.m. deserves a round of

As already reported, more cold and icky on the way. I really like winter, but I can do without this stuff. However, I consider February early spring, so as far as I'm concerned, the end's in sight.

Gotta run. Greetings to all.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:20 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

I added some good leg exercises that I found on a site to our sticky favorite exercise...
Old 02-02-2004, 01:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

OMIGOSH!!! I forgot to tell about my HUGE accomplishment on Friday night. I did 3 sets of bicep curls with 20lb weights! I have been stuck on 15s for so long I thought I would NEVER move up. I was so excited I went out the next day and bought a set for my micro-mini gym at home!

Thanks ladies for being so understanding about the challenge. I feel better about that already!

Tiki

Last edited by tikanique; 02-02-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Smile

for Tik, go get those 20# and welcome to the big girl group!!
Old 02-02-2004, 03:57 PM   #13  

Just popping in for a quick moment. Have been trudging along for the past week. It didn't occur to me until today, actually, why I neglected so many pre-planned workouts last week and suffered from far less than stellar eating. All in one week, one of my closest friends here in Virginia lost her baby (a week after it was born, due to lack of oxygen at the time of birth), my best friend from my high school/college days informed me that she was separating from her husband (he is also a friend of mine), and my running partner/coworker had to put her dog to sleep. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me until just recently that all of these events have taken their toll on me. I guess the reason is because, since they are not actually happening directly to *me*, they didn't register as reasons for me feeling down.

But onward and upward this week - I am no good to any of them if I allow myself to be down in the dumps or overwhelmed by their circumstances, right?

I'll post more in a bit, once I've had a chance to catch up on posts!
Old 02-02-2004, 04:05 PM   #14  
The Salad Guru

Congrats Tiki!
by the way, great quote you have in your signiture.
i'm slowly trying to make the transition from the machines to the free weights, my form was bad when i started so i'd been sticking with the machines, but lately i've been doing better with my form and since i'm considering switching to working out at home...well my hubby has a weight bench and weights so i'm trying to learn how to use them.
i did upper body today (uggh) and cardio.
didn't do as bad as most years at yeasterdays SB party, had 1 plate of food and snacked on vegetables, but i DID have a few cheese doodles and sampled a few deserts. still not as bad as usual, but i so need to eat clean the rest of this week to meet my short term goal by this friday
and the worst thing about yesterday's cheating was it got me craving carbs like crazy today! i ate before heading off to the gym, then was ravenous when i came home at 10am, had some leftover tuna/macaroni salad , and a protien smoothie, then starving again by 2pm!
HELP!!
trying to resist pigging out is actually painfull, what do i do? anyone have any suggestions? (besides "don't cheat again, which i already know )
-E
Old 02-02-2004, 04:45 PM   #15  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Congrats Tiki!

wcolleen: sorry to hear about all the bad news.

Mel: you would be proud - I did my first upper body workout yesterday for the first time in weeks and then went for a 35 min walk/run. I got upset because my MP3 player shut down on me about 1/3rd the way through my walk and I thought about turning around but I didn't.

Hubby left this morning for sea for 3 weeks. Time to get serious!

JC
Closed Thread