3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Weight and Resistance Training

Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

LWL #139 -- Week of January 26 - Feb 1

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 05:02 PM   #91
Mel

Hi there!
Looong day for me here. I was at the gym from 9 until 3:30. Managed to get in my cardio, chest and tri's in between clients and a class. I'm not sure if I'm working out more or less now that I am basically living at the gym! I do know that I feel like I do a shoulder workout everyday, racking and unracking equipment for people. That's not a good thing, since I've all sorts of rotator cuff problems. Just had to pop an ibuprophen when I got home today, it's so sore

I found the same thing, Cindy, on the clean eating. I was doing great until I committed to "the challenge". Now I want everything in sight, everything not in sight, and am constantly hungry. Yesterday I really blew it big time- so bad I swear my eyelids were swollen this morning

The banana issue is weird- I think it's the high sugar that gets me. I can't stand the chemical banana taste, so I've no idea if SF puddings or syrups affect me. I just avoid em.

Tik- Congrats on the pants fitting! Aside from kidnapping a gym worker, you could also watch for folks that look like they know what they are doing, and ask them between sets. I've gotten loads of info from some pretty scary looking tatooed, shaved head body builders who turn out to be really happy to help. Just don't ask in the middle of a 500 lb deadlift!

Dip- Good luck on the new career move! Did you decide on ACE? I'm finding that after an initial panic that I'd never have any clients, there are a LOT of women who are now thrilled to find a trainer that's closer to their age, doesn't look like a ripped bodybuilder (read intimidating, young, with perfect bod), and has gone through many of the same issues that they are tyring to deal with. I think you'll be great! Be prepared for some age/gender discrimination at the outset, tho.

JC- That's a lot of running. I used to do that before the ole knees objected. Sounds like it's time to find your gym again

Karen- Good luck at the dentist, I guess you've already gone tho. Hope all went well, I know you're dentist-phobic Have fun with Dakota tonight!

MEEEEEEEG- Where are you? Did you slide down your driveway into the Monongahela? Hmmm, that's probably in the opposite direction, but I just love the sound of the name. I know an old folk song called "Monongahela Sal". Remind me NOT to sing it for you.

Jen- You had an exciting afternoon with the horses Bet Karen would have loved to have been there. Who is getting married?

OK, gotta go. DS13 is going CAMPING with the Boy Scouts this weekend; it's supposed to be 12 degrees tonight, so I'm rounding up all the cold weather gear I can find. I remember when I used to think that was fun, too. Now my idea of camping is having to share a bathroom.

Mel

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

9 years at or under goal weight! Working Maintenance Everyday
Old 01-30-2004, 05:44 PM   #92
Meg

S/C/G: 257/135/maintaining

Height: 5' 4"

Iím here, Mel, and have definitely been sliding down my driveway. And COLD ó I was loading groceries in my car in 15 degree weather with a stiff wind blowing and thought that Iíve never been so cold in my life. So of course I had to go do cardio to get warm! It worked ó I was dripping in no time. Itís supposed to be single digits here tonight Ö brrr.

OK, Mel you officially kicked out of the Clean Eats Challenge since it has such a bad effect on you. You arenít allowed to participate or even read the thread. Were you this contrary as a child???

Hi to all and it sounds like everyoneís having a great week. Wish I could post more, but Mel, Karen and I have been working on some info for the Maintainers Forum about weight loss and skin issues and I want to get that finished up ASAP.

Hope everyone has a terrific (and warm) weekend!

Meg (on the banks of the frozen Mon, as we call it)
Old 01-30-2004, 06:11 PM   #93
Uber-Moderator!!

OMG I am sooo dentist phobic Mel and guess what - I have two ancient fillings that have to be replaced - ugh (I'm having all my old fillings replaced with that porcelain or whatever it is that looks like 'real teeth' as they wear out BTW). Of course Miss Big Mouth (that's me!) just HAD to tell my Dr. Peggy (my dentist) and her assistants ALL ABOUT my TT, down to actually lifting up my shirt and showing off my new (but still healing) belly button (not the scar though - that would've entailed unzipping my jeans!).

CAMPING? in 12 degree weather?!? Wouldn't that be akin to taking the Boy Scouts to Camp One en route to scaling Mt. Everest? Brrrr...Mel, I am SO glad the training is going well! I believe you're right - not everyone feels comfy being trained by a 20-something buff person - folks with a bit more mileage on their bodies would DEFINITELY feel more at ease training with someone who's already been down the road they're starting on...KWIM?

DIP! WTG on the decision to get certified! On that water aerobics thing...are you sure you need to wear a swimsuit? There's an early-morning water aerobics class in my gym, and I don't think the instructor wears a swimsuit - she teaches from the edge of the pool and shows them the moves. Every gym is different though I guess! I would like to try Pilates sometime soon (my gym has a class called "Pi/Yo" which is supposedly a cross between Yoga and Pilates). I'm still taking it easy on ab exercises right now - I don't want to push myself too much since I'm still less than 8 weeks out from surgery...but I'm gradually working back into it, doing gentle crunches, that sort of thing.

Full of P&V myself today...
September 1996: 155 pounds (-110 lbs)
*LIVING at: 145-149 pounds, size 4/6 (-116/120 lbs)

*Maintenance = LIVING.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your physician before taking advice found on the internet.

Wanna know how I lost the weight and have kept it off for over 16 years? Click here!
Old 01-30-2004, 06:21 PM   #94

Hi Gang!

I haven't ventured out today and will probably wait until Sunday for the 30's since it's grocery day anyway.

Can't wait to see what the 3 cute little things have been working on for Maintainers. I have an idea, and I know they've devoted much time, si it's got to be good coming from them.

Mel - Yes, I decided on ACE and the test here will be in August, the 7th if I remember correctly. I ordered the full course and "Musculoskeletal Anatomy and Human Movement." So I'll have about 6 full months to prepare for the test. I've always liked to work with seniors, so I may be directing my services that way, but it's still up in the air, of course. (no worries about age discrimination there, though.) I want to get my hands on women who like myself at one time not that long ago, thought it's impossible. Of course, I have lots of ideas and big dreams, but one step at a time.

Hi to all! And hope you have a great weekend!

Hi Mrs. J, and thanks for the congrats. The instructors teach form the edge of the pool and get in the water too. Someone PM'd me about a swimsuit that looks like a wetsuit, ding, ding, ding! So I'm going to do some checking around. Sorry to hear about your dentist phobia, especially when you need work. See ya!

dip

Desire=Persistence=Goal

Last edited by diphthong : 01-30-2004 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Mrs. J was posting as I was writing and doing dishes. LOL
Old 01-31-2004, 01:53 AM   #95
JEC
Aussie and proud

Mel - I cleaned up the gym and moved out all the crap yesterday so the gym is ready to go. It was a free day today so I will start tomorrow. But DH leaves for sea on tuesday so I can get really back into then!

JC
Old 01-31-2004, 11:47 AM   #96

Happy Saturday!

Cardio was done and out of the way real early, and I already have 100 oz. of water down. Trying to flush out that free meal from last evening. Blech!

Not much going on except alot sunshine and -10 when I got up this morning. Catching up on housework, magazine reading in between, and looking forward to Back and Chest WO a little later.

Everything's good.

dip

Desire=Persistence=Goal

Old 01-31-2004, 12:06 PM   #97

Good morning everyone! It's the weekend and it's sunny and I can't wait to go outside! Woo hoo!
I hope everyone has a great weekend! As for me...I'm going sledding!
-Melissa
Old 01-31-2004, 02:09 PM   #98
Lovin' Zumba!

Happy Saturday ladies!

I'm in the midst of my free day, but am working my way through
EFL planning some great meals to try for next week. It's been a few weeks since I've done any innovative cooking for myself, so I think I really just got myself into a rut which came to a head this past week. Hopefully some of Bill's recipes will put some of the spark back into my program!

The sun is trying to shine here, but the wind chill is 0F. I'm tempted to get out for a walk, just to soak in a bit of sun, but don't know if I really want to brave the cold. Wait - just remembered I brought back my shin-length parka from my Mom's house at Christmas, so I do have something that will keep me toasty warm. I think I will go out afterall - need to stave off a bit of cabin fever.

So, since I've talked myself into it, I'd better get going - I'll catch up with you all later!
Cindy
Old 01-31-2004, 04:17 PM   #99
The Salad Guru

Default good afternoon (from CT, USA)

well i guess i started quite a discussion with my banana question
i didn't know cause i haven't had time to visit these last few days. Well, i went shopping yesterday and bought a couple bananas--i haven't bought bananas in a long time, i used to eat them on my cereal in the morning but stopped cause i heard they were high in sugar, and now that y'all mention it, i did used to be ravenous around 10am. but i bought them so i could try Tidey's famous cottage cheese smoothy. well i used a 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 banana, and a few large strawberries, a splash of skim milk and a couple ice cubes and it was GOOD! great idea Tidey! and it made about 2 1/2 cups of shake, i shared with my hubby.
so i compromised 1/2 the banana for some strawberries-- which have become my fruit of choice also (i learned from the Curves diet). berries are expensive though, luckily they were on sale this week.
Hey, got a good recipe, i bought strawberries so i could make it:
fresh spinach (washed)
strawberries (sliced)
slivered almonds
dressing: 1 part light mayo, 1 part concentrated frozen orange juice
throw all together = a surprisingly good and healthy salad, seriously
, those who aren't too sugar sensitive (the condensed OJ) try it it's awesome-- my dear sister in law's recipe.
anyway, gym this am, just cardio, did upper body Thurs. and lower body and abs Friday and i'm still sore. i'm working on the running (did 1.25 miles today without walking), my orthotics have helped my shins, but my left knee just craps out on me after 1 mile. when my insurance kicks in from my promotion, i've got to get it checked out.
Jeese, i only workout 4 days a week, 1hr and 15 minutes, tops. you guys do a lot more. i'm loosin steady, though, about 1-2lbs per week (when i keep the eats fairly clean). hope to keep from pigging out tomarrow (Super Bowl party).
see ya
-E
Old 01-31-2004, 06:58 PM   #100
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/155/140

Height: 5'3"

Ok... VERY quick reply because it took me sooooo long to read everyones posts D is bugging me to get on the puter... but I only want to comment on one thing...

I TOO, have been screwed and tattooed this week since this Challenge!! I was doing fine also before the challenge! What is that about... What a head game is all I can say...

Gotta go... back later...

Old 01-31-2004, 07:17 PM   #101

Hi everyone, how is your Saturday going?
Mine started out great.....I measured and photoed today and guess what....................I lost 5.25 inches overall in the last 4 weeks....WOO HOO!!!!!!!
I lost 1/4 inch of my arm, 1 inch off my bust and thigh and 1 1/2 inches each of my waist, hips and butt. I am sooooo happy with myself. Next 4 weeks I am going to increase my cardio and I am going to try to do better with my diet since I know it could have been better. I was at "Chapters" today and could not find that cookbook so maybe we do not have it here yet.

Oh Mel---I am getting married in July. July 10 to be exact and I am in the process of trying to get decorations, candle holders, and flower girl dresses made for the big day. I am going to make the flower girl dresses myself so this could be interesting.

I will have to keep my eyes peeled. Anyway have a good weekend everyone, talk to you next week

Jen

inches lost - 4.5 April 1/05
Old 01-31-2004, 08:10 PM   #102

Hey Everybody!

Jen- Congrats on your minuses! What a pay-off, huh? Oh-oh, another wedding! Last wedding we had, we lost the bride, so I hope you'll stick around after the nuptials.

Cindy - you're a braver soul than I going out in the tundra. However, I almost sent DH to buy us some sledding disks since we have a couple of good sliding hills in our yard. I always wanted to do that, but at almost 250#, I thought I'd never get my entire butt on one, and I'd make a fool of myself "falling" onto it, and getting back up again. But things have changed! So I just may buy a couple when I make the Wal-Mart Run tomorrow morning, and it's suppose to be warmer - in the high 20's.

Eats were clean and satisfying today. Had more than enough water too. Got my back, chest done and did shoulders, tri's and bi's too. After this last meal digests, I'm going to practice pilates again. Been practicing that breathing technigue too, in between sets, but can't say if it helped with my lifting. One thing I noticed different though was that I didn't get as sweaty as I usually do, but that may have been because it's a little cooler than usual in the basement today.

Off to do some reading for the Book Club, and relax. DH is driving me nuts setting up cameras and microphones on this computer downstairs, and one of his upstairs. This is in lieu of the intercom system I've wanted for the past 9 years, or so he says. He also put a camera on a Lego robot that he built, and he's trying to program it to patrol the house, except the cat keeps pouncing it. Big boys and their toys, I swear. He's just a geek.

Have a great evening!

dip

Desire=Persistence=Goal

Old 01-31-2004, 09:22 PM   #103
Lovin' Zumba!

Default EFL recipe review

Just wanted to share that tonight I tried the EFL Singapore Shrimp recipe. It was good, but as written is a bit too spicy for me!

I think I'll try it again and leave out the jalepeno pepper to see if it's better for me then. Now I just have to get through the servings I have left!
Cindy
Old 02-01-2004, 03:51 AM   #104
Crazy Candian in Aus

Hey!! How is everyone? Quiet weekend here on the board!! I had a fantastic day yesterday, hit some factory outlets and I had good luck for work clothes, got a couple of tops, a skirt, dress and a t-shirt (says.... be reasonable, do it my way... good for wearing with leathers! ha ha ha) and then got a pair of flat shoes for walking in skirts at work.. I have to go to appointments by train/tram so often I walk in heels and I hate it. Total outlay of cash was $120. Very well done!!

I have my mom on the hunt for the EFL book... I have wanted to send her the BFL book .... but don't know if she would get into it??? Maybe if she reads through it before shipping it to me???

Gotta run, Sunday night already and I need to grab my dinner! Had legs, beginning week 2!!

Nola

------------------------------
Determined to reach Goal by March 1, 2006
Visit my online journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/kanola/
Measurement devices:
Daily - Use the Mirror
Weekly- Use the Scales
Monthly - Use the Camera
Annually - Use the Relatives
Old 02-01-2004, 04:21 AM   #105
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Where is Luckycharm????

I was going through the posts.... and she was from Alberta? Seems to have disappeared?? Sunlover?? where are you???

Quick question for the Canadians, before I send my mom on a wild goose hunt for the EFL book.... do you know if Walmart carries it? Or should I send her to Chapters (she would have to go to Edmonton for that....).

Thanks girls!
N.

Determined to reach Goal by March 1, 2006
Visit my online journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/kanola/
Measurement devices:
Daily - Use the Mirror
Weekly- Use the Scales
Monthly - Use the Camera
Annually - Use the Relatives
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.