Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 01:26 AM   #1  

Default Textured Vegetable Protein. Good or bad?

Hi. I was listing all the food that is low in fat and high in protein, that I could add to my "good source of protein list" and was wondering if TVP (Textured vegetable protein) was a good protein or not. I know that low fat cottage cheese, egg whites, gelentine, and tuna are at the top of the list, but I have heard that soy and vegetable proteins are 'bad proteins'. Is this true?

Thanks

Daniel
Old 10-01-2003, 02:33 AM   #2  
JEC
Aussie and proud

I wouldn't put gelatin on that list.

Vegetable proteins are incomplete as in they don't have all the amino acids required to class them as a complete protein. Besides that it's healthier to stay away from processed foods in general.

HTH

JC
Old 10-01-2003, 06:20 AM   #3  
Om shanti

There really isn't a "bad proteins" category (like there are "bad carbs" and "bad fats" categories). TVP is a fine product for what it is, and indeed there is much you can do with TVP that you can't do without it.

Just like beans and grains, TVP isn't a complete protein, and needs to be carefully combined with other vegetable proteins, or supplemented by animal proteins, in order to assure full nutrition.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:24 PM   #4  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Bicker,

with all due respect I would say that there are bad versions of most macronutrients - or should I rephrase and say better and worse versions. Sugar is an example of a bad carb.

JC
Old 10-02-2003, 03:45 AM   #5  
Om shanti

I agree about bad carbs, and especially about sugar being "bad carbs". However, my point was about protein, not carbs. Putting aside the other two macro-nutrients, different types of protein aren't typically considered "good" or "bad" -- all protein is generally considerd "good", the only distinction often made is that some sources are more complete than others.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:09 AM   #6  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Actually protein such as gelatin is considered by some as 'junk' protien. But each to their own.

JC
Old 10-03-2003, 08:18 AM   #7  
Om shanti

Why would anyone consider it "junk" protein? I have heard it referred to in that way on any of the weight-lifting or nutrition forums. I know a lot of folks have a personal preference for meat, beans and dairy, but all the research I've read shows that manufactured protein is superior.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:20 PM   #8  

Vegetable protein is not a complete protein, but it's not bad either. Sometimes I add this to certain foods to give it an extra somethin' somethin'. So by all means eat it if you want to.

I am apt to agree with JEC about gelatin being a poor source of protein. This is what you usually find in protein bars, and is rather cheap.

I do not believe manufactored protein, or manufactored food in general is ever superior to real, whole foods.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:57 AM   #9  
Om shanti

It is amazing but true. Protein is a very interesting subject. I encourage you to read up on it.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:12 AM   #10  

Care to offer some reading material?
Old 10-04-2003, 09:18 AM   #11  
Om shanti

Start here: http://www.bnrg.com/misc/protein_101.pdf

Now this is promotional, but it is backed up by research studies.

Now I'll turn the tables: Can you offer some reading material proving your assertion that manufactured food is never superior to non-manufactured? Lots of folks have a strong preference for "natural" products, but no one has ever been able to provide any proof that they're superior.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:29 AM   #12  

This article wasn't about quality of protein. This was about absorbing of different protein.

Drinking a whey shake will absorb quicker than consuming meat or cottage cheese. This would be optimal for post workout. However, you don't always want protein to be absorbed quickly.
Before bed I'll have cottage cheese because it digests slowly, and I'm not going to wake up feeling hungry.

The article didn't really explain that "gelatin" was a better source of protein than whey, casein, or other foods in general.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:36 AM   #13  
Om shanti

No one ever suggested that "gelatin" was a better source of protein. I'm not sure where you got that idea from.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to any references you can provide regarding your assertion that manufactured food is never superior to non-manufactured.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:43 AM   #14  

Calm down, darling. This isn't a pissing contest. lol

Never did I say that manufactored protein is NEVER superior. As I mentioned in my post above, protein shakes are optimal for a post workout meal because it absorbs quicker. This does not make the quality of protein better than say a piece of chicken or tuna.

The comment about gelatin was referring to your defense of it earlier in another post. I suppose in this case I misread or was mistaken.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:47 AM   #15  

Oops. Clicked enter too earlier!

Whey has a BV of like 109, while the higest natural food has 100, egg whites. Whey isolate is even higher than regular Whey, unsure of its BV though.

Food, however contains all kinds of vitaminss, minerals, and other micronutriests (such as Lycopene - which is a strong antioxidant). It is for THIS reason people prefer eating whole foods.
Closed Thread