Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Default I promise I'm not stupid. Can someone help me put together gym stuff..?

I just joined a gym that is entirely unstaffed...

I wanted to start lifting, got all excited...went in there and saw this?

So I assume I have to put stuff together. I sat there and sort of...looked at stuff but it's all really intimidating. I googled "How to put together gym equipment" with no luck.
:c
I'm actually really embarrassed, lol. I'm usually good at this stuff. Helllpppp?
Maybe I should get the owner to come in and show me?
There's never anyone there when I go.
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

Okay the plates go on the bar and there should be a clamp of some sort that goes on after the plate...

So load all the plates you want on each side of the bar (so it's balanced obviously) and then slide the clamp on to keep the plates from slipping. This is your barbell.

There also should be some kind of stopper closer to the centre of the bar on each side that keeps the plates from sliding inward.

And those smaller bars look like they would be dumbbells...so same idea, just easier to grip.

Last edited by gymrat05; 12-13-2012 at 02:29 AM.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

Hint on weight lifting... don't pile on the weight till you can barely lift it.. you should be able to lift the weight without straining yourself.

You should feel a burn after 5-10 repetitions.
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #4  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

What gym Gymrat said!
&& I wish I had my weight section to myself, lucky!
MrsH2132012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat05 View Post
Okay the plates go on the bar and there should be a clamp of some sort that goes on after the plate...

So load all the plates you want on each side of the bar (so it's balanced obviously) and then slide the clamp on to keep the plates from slipping. This is your barbell.

There also should be some kind of stopper closer to the centre of the bar on each side that keeps the plates from sliding inward.

And those smaller bars look like they would be dumbbells...so same idea, just easier to grip.
Thank you so much. I didn't see any clamps D: uh oh. I'll try again tonight...maybe I'll be a little less nervous. There's a camera that faces the weights so it's like the owner is sitting there watching me, lol.

I really appreciate the advice <3 ty so much.

Quote:
Hint on weight lifting... don't pile on the weight till you can barely lift it.. you should be able to lift the weight without straining yourself.

You should feel a burn after 5-10 repetitions.
Thank you! :3

Quote:
What gym Gymrat said!
&& I wish I had my weight section to myself, lucky!
Seriously I don't think I'd be able to do it if I saw anyone else there!
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Most gyms have an "orientation" that comes free, and I'd ask for that. If it's not an option, I think I'd consider joining a better gym. Any reputable gym should be willing to show you how to use any and all equipment because there is a liability to them if they don't.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

Just look for something small with a hole in it somewhere. That's probably your clamp. They come in all different shapes. Haha.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #8  
No description available.

Another term for it would be a collar. I'd encourage you to ask for help. No one is born knowing how to use this type of equipment. I promise that people there want to help you---so you don't hurt yourself or anyone else.

There is no ego in weightlifting, no matter what the general public may believe. Ask for an orientation. There is no such thing as a stupid question, but there is such a thing as a stupid way to get hurt.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 302/268/200

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Eagle River...any gym of any caliber would have an orientation. They don't want anyone to get hurt. Ask for help. Don't worry about anyone watching...we are all there for the same reason, to get healthy.
sueBhoney is offline   Reply With Quote