Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 08:36 PM   #61  
Mel

Default Thursday

Welcome back JC. I can empathize so much with your mom situation. Mine just left after a 5 day visit. She's been thin all her life, as is my step-father who is PAINFULLY thin, and a lot of the dynamics have changed. I've also completely lost the friendship of my very heavy SIL, I suspect because I've managed to change and she hasn't.

Meg- hope your hand is OK. When I first read your post I thought it said HEAD and I was really concerned. Bring on the peas!

Dip- Congratulations!

Laural- Yesterday at the gym I was running treadmill intervals and there was real headbanger music on. Good for running. But some woman who was working with a trainer had a fit that it was making her screaming crazy- she really was screaming- and they ended up changing it for her to a soft jazz station. YUCK! There is no way to get pumped about running with soft jazz. I don't think I could even lift to it. The only thing that makes me screaming crazy is commercial radio stations and having to listen to commercials.

Tidyey- dh and I got a good hoot out of your tag lines.

Today was cardio and then wimpy abs. I need to work abs harder. Someday I may have more than a 2 pack though I feel that even tho I'm not getting any fatter, my stomach is.

gotta go,
mel
Old 09-25-2003, 08:36 PM   #62  

Dip, how great that you managed to resist the Milky. I would probably have scarfed it down immediately. I'm glad you didn't eat it; I really resent it when food has control over me and I'm sure that you do too.

Meg, I've never liked frozen peas much either. Did you watch the episode of CSI where a woman's dead body was hidden in a basement freezer full of hidden peas? I'll bet I've killed your appetite for the little green things now. Oh, and I love listening to Depeche Mode whilst doing cardio.

Tidey, I know how you feel about the "training????" bit. I'm just dying to have the fat go away so that the muscle will show too!

And a big 'hi' to everyone else out there.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:21 AM   #63  
Captain of MY Destiny!

I just wanted to pop in and say "hi!" It has been a busy week for me...but that's about normal!

I've done 2 out of 3 full body workouts for the week and it felt great. I am still a bit apprehensive about adding weight to arm/shoulder lifts due to a shoulder injury a few years ago, so am being conservative with weight there.

Thanks for all your kind comments about my pics. It is so hard to expose myself that way...but it seemed like the right thing to do. As good as I feel about the changes in my body, I feel even better about the changes in my spirit. I think that is was drew me to this board...the strength not only of body, but of spirit you all seem to possess!

As I continue to lurk and read I'm sure I'll eventually figure out who's who! Until then, hello to all!
Old 09-26-2003, 03:12 AM   #64  

Hello everyone!

I'm so glad that Friday is finally here. We are taking off for the weekend, have today off, to visit my mom, and I do have great hopes for clean eating. She did call me to ask what I needed to eat.

This is a short post, but I wanted to say that I'm enjoying getting to know you all, and will be back Sunday or Monday. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Lois
Old 09-26-2003, 06:00 AM   #65  

Good Morning Gals!

I'm up and full of it early. I've had a hankering all week to go down to the boat, so DH and I are taking off as soon as he gets home from work. Hoping he can get Monday off too, so I may be MIA until Tuesday. So let me wish you a good weekend, safe and healthy!

Yesterday I showed all of your pics to my son's fiance. She couldn't believe the transformations, and I think you all have inspired her to get back to the gym. She says she wants to learn to lift too, so I think we have another recruit.

Well, I need to start my day.

Meg - ooops, almost forgot (not really, LOL). This one's for you!

dip
Old 09-26-2003, 06:12 AM   #66  
Meg

Default Dip!!!

I see those numbers under your name! Only 5 pounds to go (OK, how about 5.1 since we want you to get to 199.9, right? ) You are on fire and it's going to be happening soon!

Cool on showing off our pix to your son's fiancee. We've got a great group of ladies here who are DOING IT (not just talking about it) and we can help her if she'd like to join us.

Have a great weekend on the boat and keep up the good work!

Meg
Old 09-26-2003, 07:44 AM   #67  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Yes Dip - let me chime in. You're doing great and what an exciting time for you!

I was able to clink off 2 more lbs. this week too. It is so exciting to finally being having some progress.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:38 AM   #68  

Default New

First, I just wanted to say how happy I am to have found this board, and what an incredible group of people you seem to be. I've been lurking for a while now, and reading everyone's advice, and shoring my motivation up with your photos, so I figured it was time to introduce myself.

My name is Revely and I'm a newbie to this board (though not new to 3FC) and a VERY new BFLer (day 4)!

I'm a 27-year old writer from Kentucky, which means I spend hours in front of the computer, or hours sitting in a chair reading books, and a few months ago it occurred to me that that was never going to change, so I'd have to … you know…actually work at being in shape. *g* I've always been overweight, due mainly to the fact that like a lot of bookish people I am in mortal danger every time I get near a piece of athletic equipment. I'm doing good to walk and chew gum at the same time here, trust me, it ain't pretty. I played soccer in HS and ran cross-country ("ran" really being a relative word, and it was probably more like 'cross-yard', but whatever) and while I still wasn't thin by any stretch, I at least felt healthy. My weight was basically stable through college and into my first job, because I walked a lot and was stricken with student poverty. I got a new job as an editor about three years ago, and the advent of a regular salary opened up whole new worlds for me. Like fast food drive-ins, for example. So you see the problem…

I have found that one of the secrets of cardio for me is to have it be just part of my day. I currently walk or ride my bike to work (3 miles each way) about 3 or 4 days a week, but I think I've gotten to the point where that doesn't help me lose weight any longer. I think my body is used to that, so I'm hoping the BFL way of varying intensity in workouts will help me out.

The good news is I am fairly educated about what I should and shouldn't eat to get my body under control. I grew up with a mother who gardened and who believed that whole foods were the best, so I definitely think I know *what* to do when it comes to eating – it's just the doing it that stinks. I always say that I have the palate of an 8-year-old. If left to my own devices I'd eat snack cakes and grilled cheese sandwiches every day. How embarrassing! *g*

Exercise is another matter entirely. I don't know a quad from a delt. They could be sorority signs as far as I know. Also, I have a terrible fear of bulking up despite all the posts I've read to the contrary. All my years of soccer playing mean I have calves like upside down bowling pins, when what I wanted was a ballet dancer's body. Oh, the unfairness! Still, I do know that my body responds better to more protein, less refined carbs, and more strength training. The idea of getting to a '10' on the cardio makes me want to go hide under the covers with a book and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos (well gee, I don't know WHY I gained weight :::innocent look::: ) but I'm not going to.

I think.

Next summer I have my sister's wedding and my 10-year HS reunion, so getting in shape for those is a priority, though I definitely have a 'life-long' goal in mind. Now, I have no more intention of going to that HS reunion than I do of having dental work done by crack-addled chimpanzees, but I don't want to not go because I don't think I look good enough to (if that makes sense). My sister looks like Cindy Crawford, so I think the less said about that the better. Grrrr. *g*

Anyway, I'm happy to be here! Thanks for having me.

Last edited by Revely; 09-26-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:54 AM   #69  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

And welcome Revely! Great to see another writer on the board. (helps reduce the it's vs. its nightmare - I KNOW you know what I'm talking about!)

Boy do I sympathize with all you all have posted. I wish I could ride my bike to work. As it is I have a 45 min drive each way. I hate that. It will change in the next 6 months but man it makes for a stressful day trying to cram everything in.

And the mom sitch.....
And the gorgeous sister sitch... (mine looks like Heather Locklear, I'm more the winonaryder look but not shopping type....)

Making this post short today because I'll be posting my trainer's results at end of C1 today....... biting nails now....

Also posting exercises WITH fav exercise albums on the exercise thread, check it out and PLEASE people let's not let it look like Lanaii is the only one who HAS a fav exercise!
Old 09-26-2003, 12:23 PM   #70  
Brand New Mrs 11/1/03

good morning LWL

Jennifa, thanks for reminding me that I have to find my evil glutes notes for the favorites

JC, sending {{hugs}} your way. Families! They can be sooo supportive, and they also know all the buttons to push. usually when someone has something counter productive to say, it is more a reflection on what THEY are feeling than on anything about us. But it still can get to you.

Welcome Revely.

ledom congrats on the kerchunk! That's always a good sound.

Dip, enjoy the boat this weekend.
Lois, have a good trip too.

Meg, how's the hand? And the peas?

on exercise and music.... I prefer lively music for my weights workout, but I'll take NO radio over all the commericals or the static. On cardio days (especially with 2 sessions) I NEED to have music. My brother bought me a RIO sport for my birthday, and I was in conditioning phase (no cardio) when it finally got here (combo of him being late, and the company was out of stock. ) so I couldn't do too much with it for a bit. Well, it is the best gift now! I have been busy burning my cd's to my harddrive (not sharing them, case the RIAA is watching.. it's legal to make a copy for my own use) and then transferring them to the RIO. I find I have to keep changing the music or it gets old fast. But the RIO is just perfect. I had asked for the sport model cause it comes with a stopwatch and has a good hand-feel for running. I havent tried the radio on it.. having too much fun with putting my own songs on it. I alternate between the 80's stuff, motown, 50's rock and some of the swing songs. Course it gets dangerous when I try to dance while running on the treadmill.

I had a terrific workout on Wed, and yesterday. Wed was chest and abs, and Ilene, I borrowed from you. I liked the idea of pyramiding (thanks to Lois too for the idea) and I usually do that in three sets.. 12,10,8.. This time I started with 15, then 12,10,8. I really felt it in the chest yesterday. Unfortunately no matter what I do I never feel it in the abs the next day. Taking suggestions for everyone's favorite abs work.

Yesterday was quads/calves. It was not a cardio day (yeah!) and it was a higher food day, so I had lots of energy for the leg workout. They are screaming today, so I must have hit them hard. I started on the smith rack and did supersets of regular squats and sumo squats.. 12 reps each/40# (my neck has been iffy, so I didn't want to push the #'s, hence the superset) not rest between the two, then a water break then again.. 4x. Then I moved to the leg press, (120#) and did 4 sets of 12 supersetted with calve pumps. Finished up with wall sits. JC, I put my hands on my head this time. 1st time was 45 seconds. 2nd I was trembling after 20 secs and could only last 30 sec. And then realized I was done for the night.

Today is arms/shoulders. No cardio again today. Doubles on Sat and Sunday tho.

Nadine switched my food around this week, and I'm a bit happier with it, as I'm liking my food options more this way. We've kept the calories the same (1200-1800, with double 1200's, double 1400, a 1600 and an 1800) but my protein is now at 150 grams instead of 175. Prior to the PFA I was about 60-70 grams of protein so we were thinking I might not be handling the higher level too well anymores as it's VERY foreign to my system. This new level feels VERY good. The scale is liking it too, so we'll see how it goes. The tape measure is also happy. Life is good.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:17 PM   #71  
cookies are for browsers

Hello all,

Just posted over on the stats thread, but I'll put the short version here:

End of Challenge 1
Lost 18 pounds, 14 inches, 2 jeans sizes, a cup size, a bra size, and BF down 3.9%.

Lanaii, thanks so much for your nice post over on surprises thread, you are so sweet, no wonder you don't need to eat chocolate!!!!

I like my trainer, he was once fat and did something about it and now he's just amazing. He gave me a much-needed pat on the back, just what I need for planning....

CHALLENGE 2!!!!!!

later babes,

Jennifa
Old 09-26-2003, 04:57 PM   #72  
Mel

Congratulations Jennifa, those are great results

Hey wall sitters: found a great new wrinkle! Put your knees and ankles together as you do them (with hands on head of course), and raise your toes up. This is excruciatingly more painful. I can only do it about half as long.

Today was back and tri's. Had great workout and I'm sure I'll be good and sore tomorrow. Luckily, I haven't had any more shoulder problems, which is a minor miracle considering my history.

Welcome Revely, glad to have you.

Ledom- Sounds like you are making some wonderful progress. I know how long you've worked for it.

mel
Old 09-26-2003, 07:10 PM   #73  
Meg

Thank goodness IT'S Friday, ladies!

Back from a great shoulder workout — IT’S been a good week in the gym, though I was a little short on cardio. Tomorrow will be cardio only and then visiting my MIL for the day. I’m going to take a pile of hemming and mending to keep my hands busy (and keep me awake) while she is talking at me (I can’t exactly say that she talks “with” me because she keeps the conversation going all by herself — IT’S more like a monologue).

Welcome Revely! IT’S great to have you with us! I really enjoyed reading your story. Congratulations on starting your first BFL challenge. BTW, you sound just like me with the book and Doritos, but I’d say chocolate chip cookies instead. I grew up with my nose constantly in a book — read incessantly and ate along with every book, of course. Now I still love to read (and still love cookies ) ) but have tried to divorce the two!

Great results, Jennifa! What are your plans for Challenge Two? BFL? Are you taking a free week?

Mel — ummm … wall sits aren’t hard enough for you? Have to make them tougher, huh? I’m looking forward to seeing “Mel’s Favorite Leg Exercises” — not! They would be too painful for us mere mortals!

Audrey — I love my MP3 player too and just can’t do cardio without it. I have one of the iPods with the 10 gig memory so I can put on most of my CDs and then put together play lists from ITS internal hard drive — very slick.

Have great weekends, all! They’re predicting rain and cold here. I can’t believe that IT’S almost October and none of the leaves are changing color here yet. I hope we get a real fall with some of those cool crisp sunny days.

Meg
Old 09-26-2003, 09:09 PM   #74  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Talking morning - it's the weekend!

Laural: she has been used to it for a while and when I first lost the weight I was smaller than her. When I went back to see her 6 months later she had lost most of her weight so most of the time she has been smaller than me – but she is sooo soft!

Dip: my Mum has always had extremely high standards for me – it stuffed me around a bit but on the good side it made me try and achieve a lot as well. Way to go on not caving on the milky way. Enjoy your trip! Way to go on hitting 205!!! I remember hitting 199 and going nuts I was so happy.

Tidey: ‘poison yourself with sugar’ – that’s a classic – I love it. Thanks so much for your words of reassurance. I truly appreciate them. It did hurt and still does but the worst thing is that it killed my self-confidence and momentum. I am trying to get back on track but it’s harder than it has been before.

Revely: nice to meet you and you and I sound a lot alike. I am 27 – 28 in a few weeks and I play soccer. I also have an office job so I sit around all day but I try and get up and walk around whenever I can. I suggest you go look at all the pictures we have on the other site and that should allay your fears of ‘bulking up.’ All of us lift weights and are not getting bulky at all. By the way I would kill to have your calves!! I have my 10 year HS reunion in a month’s time and I am getting nervous about it.

Audrey: the wall sits are a killer but Ilene is right – it’s all in the head.

Jenn: I am so jealous – I want to lose a cup size!! o) Well done on your results – we are so proud of you!

Mel: I already do it with my legs together (wall sits) but I will try to raised toes bit.

As for me life is ok - still reeling from my Mum's visit. Workouts have been fine (thanks to my workout partner) but food has been average. I simply HAVE to get back on track but am struggling for motivation at the moment. I know that once my routine is fixed on Monday I will be fine but I don't want to wait until Monday to get back on track. I need to do it NOW. Times like these make me realise that that little white powder is more like an addiction than anything. A vicious circle that's hard to claw yourself out of. SInce I normally live without cravings - having to deal with them is DIFFICULT. but I can do it.... I know I can....

JC
Old 09-26-2003, 11:16 PM   #75  

Default I'm back!!

I survived the hurricane!! I did lose power for 5 days. This storm ripped apart the power infastructure of this area. There are still several thousands out of power. We just got our cable back today, so I could finally get online!!

Needless to say, my eating suffered a bit. The first few days we ate whatever we could cook out of our freezer on the grill to keep it from going bad. It got down to the hot dogs!! Plus I am so used to tracking using the PFA on the computer, that I felt lost without it. But, I am back on track now Plus I need to start printing out a weekly plan or something in case this happens again.

Robin
Closed Thread