Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/262/155

Height: 5'5''

Default dumbbell advice needed

Hi!

I would like to get into weight training (at home) and would like to buy adjustable dumbbells.
I would like to know how heavy hand weights I should get. I´m in my 30s, and do not plan to train for competitions just to improve my shape. I know it's a tricky question but how heavy weights should I consider? There are 10 kg (ca 22lb), 15 kg (ca 33lb), 20 kg(is that an overkill?) sets.
Anything else to keep in mind buying dumbbells?
Ladies, please share your wisdom.
Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #2  

I'd suggest you splurge on a set of dumbells where you can change the weights. They usually come with some 2.5lb, 5lb, and 10lb plates. That way, you can customise how much weight you're lifting depending on which exercise you're doing. It also allows you to increase the weight as you get stronger! 😊
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:59 PM   #3  

Definitely see which would be more cost effective! I always think that having at least 1 kettlebell is important too. Try getting a few sets of dumbells- I usually suggest 7 or 8lb dumbells and 10 or 12lb dumbells. A 15lb kettlebell or more is great to start. If you feel like you really need to start from the ground up, 5lb dumbells is a good place to start and work your way up. Too much weight can definitely cause an injury. If you see that getting a few sets of dumbells and a kettlebell is more expensive than the dumbells that you can just change, then that could answer your question!
Jenny_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #4  
Refreshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defining View Post
I'd suggest you splurge on a set of dumbells where you can change the weights. They usually come with some 2.5lb, 5lb, and 10lb plates. That way, you can customise how much weight you're lifting depending on which exercise you're doing. It also allows you to increase the weight as you get stronger! 😊
This.
Durian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katz View Post
Hi!

I would like to get into weight training (at home) and would like to buy adjustable dumbbells.
I would like to know how heavy hand weights I should get. I´m in my 30s, and do not plan to train for competitions just to improve my shape. I know it's a tricky question but how heavy weights should I consider? There are 10 kg (ca 22lb), 15 kg (ca 33lb), 20 kg(is that an overkill?) sets.
Anything else to keep in mind buying dumbbells?
Ladies, please share your wisdom.
I suggest buying adjustable dumbbells,ones where you can add and remove plates.I started with 10lbs and went from there.
strongchic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 262/262/155

Height: 5'5''

Thanks for the advice! I got a set of 20 kg adjustable dumbbells. Now all I need is to stick to the program. Some days it's so hard to get off my butt.
Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:10 AM   #7  

Well i would say you should buy a set containing 10,15,20 & 25.
Another strategy is to buy adjustable weights.
MICKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #8  
Chick On A Mission

S/C/G: 228.2/ticker/150

Height: 5'3

I have 5lb, 8lb, 10lb, 15lb & 20lb dumbbells.
Denise_Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote