Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-04-2015, 03:02 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Hi defining! I'm 15# down from when I posted this. My calorie intake is still between 1600 and 1800.
I still haven't added weights on the level I want to. I fell in love with spin and that's been hogging most my gym days.
Every time I'm going into the gym and start to venture into the weights area I wimp out. I get lost/confused/scared and it doesn't help because the guys turn around and stare at me. I'm sure it's just a passing glance, but it's enough to make me feel uncomfortable and then I just go to the women's bathroom. Then I go upstairs to "where the girls are."
I need to get last this head trip if I'm ever going to try "the big weights."
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #17  

Congrats, 15 is a great accomplishment!

I understand the trepidation regarding entering the free weight area. What I will say is that people are usually happy to see you there, not resentful (so long as you don't steal weights/get in the way ). But maybe you can try to go during the quieter gym hours, so it's less likely you have to deal with loads of 'boys' in the way?

Alternatively, you could stick with band/bodyweight resistance training for now, until you're feeling a bit more confident - or even mix in some machine work, I know that some find those less intimidating. Anywho, well done!

Keep in touch with how things are progressing.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:18 AM   #18  

Thanks defining. I work weird hours so I usually go when I wake up between 9am and 11 am. It's actually really crowded then for some reason. I have to start getting ready for work at 1 and the gyms closed when I get home from work at midnight. So not really any other time options. I just need to bite the bullet and get brave in there one day. I'm debating getting a personal trainer to show me how to use the equipment and lift a few weights.
My goals to start are:
Squats but I'm maxed on the body br, which means I need to hit a heavier weight in the "boys" arena
Dead lifts. Tried them one day, they were brutal so I want more
Lunges....but I always fall over with those, not sure if it's the higher center of gravity or what.
Chest press. I think I need a spotter for that though?
Leg press
Pull down
Bent over row
Upright row
Push ups, which I finally can do regular, only 3 of them, but hey.
I bought myself some gloves today so now I just need to use them.

I'll update you when I finally brave it.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #19  

You can actually do all of those movements (except pull down) with dumbbells, which offer a minimum of 'setup' and don't require a spotter. You may even be able to find a dumbbell rack outside of the 'heavy weights' area, depending on your gym.

Goblet squats are an easy modification with dumbbells or kettlebells. Bodyweight squats are still great for flexibility and form - you can do them into high rep sets (eg. 20-30 no pause) for endurance work as well.

Keep on with the body weight lunges until you can do them without falling over - keeping yourself stable is one of the reasons they are so hard to do.

Depending on your goals, you probably don't need to use the leg press if you're also squatting.

And you can alternate pull downs with a pull-up assistance machine as well, just to give you some options to switch around with during busy gym hours.

My gym gets busy at about 7/7:30 until 10:30, it's a popular 'before work' time. I resigned myself to an early start to the day *eurgh*, but you may find it a bit quieter in the 11-12 time slot: in between the morning and lunch rushes. Also, headphones and workout music go a long way to helping ignore people around you.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #20  

I did it! Only two old creepos were staring at me. So I stared back. Then they looked away. The hardest for me is the dead lifts and I think it's more a shoe issue than anything. My right food kept cramping up.
Otherwise,everything feels wobbly like it's supposed to. I can do 20 lb weights on the bent over row and 70 lbs on the lat pull downs. .
My only issue was I should have asked for help on the leg press machine because I didn't know how to have it catch itself so I wouldn't go too low. I figured it out though.
I used two dumbbells for the chest press per your suggestion. Thanks!
Im planning on doing this three times a week. I took some before pics so as I progress I'll have something to compare to.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:55 PM   #21  
Refreshed

I've used YouTube and weight training books to help with proper form. I'm not sure if that interests you, but I thought I'd mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I would not increase your calorie intake if you are happy where you are. Just my 2 cents.

Eating more calories has never aided my weight loss. Has it added more fat? Sometimes. Has it added more muscle? Yep. But weight loss? Nah.
This.

I often see people on threads (no offense to the person above) suggesting that the person increase calories. It has NEVER worked for me. I'm sure it works for some, but I don't think most people struggle to lose weight because they aren't eating enough calories.
Durian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durian View Post
I've used YouTube and weight training books to help with proper form. I'm not sure if that interests you, but I thought I'd mention it.

This.

I often see people on threads (no offense to the person above) suggesting that the person increase calories. It has NEVER worked for me. I'm sure it works for some, but I don't think most people struggle to lose weight because they aren't eating enough calories.
Thanks. I did eventually increase to between 1800 and 2000 because I was always hungry with the weight training. The lb drops have slowed, but I'm pretty close to goal weight now. I'm at 30 lb loss.