Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-07-2006, 04:32 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default Scales up after leg day!

Ok first of all, so you all know. I'M CALM! I'm logging my weight every day just out of interest and because I was losing quiet rapidly it was quite an encourager. (I recently put 7lbs on over honeymoon and am working on taking them off.)

However, last week (27th-3rd) I was out of action because of an injury. I managed about 1 weights workout and 2 (gentle) kickboxing sessions. I lost a pound that week - down to 172.5, however this week, starting Monday (4th) I've been lifting really heavy again - I feel great, and have been consistent with my calories and have had no food blips which might've caused a gain. However since Sunday I have gained 2.5lbs.

Is this my shredded muscles retaining water? Is it something to do with them trying to repair themselves?

My water intake was really good yesterday - about 10-15 pints probably, however I got quite dehydrated Mon/Tues.

This is mysterious and interesting! What does everyone think? I read the gaining weight sticky in the exercise forum and wndranne's comments about being 2lbs up after leg day, so d'you think that's what's happening? I'll keep you posted about tomorrow's weigh-in, however since I'm away at the weekend, we'll be missing Saturday/Sunday data!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Fru

I was always up a pound or two after leg day. Sometimes when I use a new routine even for upper body I will show a gain the next day. I don't have anything new to add just to say, 'Yep, it happens to me too." Glad to know you aren't exactly freaking out about it.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

My numbers are up lately too, but I'm still shrinking. My bottom (or bum) is looking downright SMALL and flat in the mirrors yesterday and today which is shocking because I'm a former bubble/wiggle-jiggle person. It is too much. So I care less and less about the scale now and have actually started staying away from it bc it was damaging my motivation. That may change once my body isn't blowing my mind anymore and I'll go back to it to find a new source of motivation, but for now I would say yes, your heavy lifting is doing things in your body and the scale is not a reliable source for you right now. Good for you though for pushing so hard!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #4  
Mel

I'm always up a pound after leg day -or more if I go particularly heavy. Yes, your muscles are swollen (remember, if you've had a good leg day, you've caused actual damage to the muscles) and retaining water, and sucking up all the nutrients they can to repair themselves.

CALM! THis is good

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am feeling that right at this very moment - I am still sore from my leg workout on Tuesday, and I am up 2 lbs. The scale usually stays up until I stop being sore. For me, it means I did I REALLY good workout, so I try to consider those extra pounds a badge of honor.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #6  

WOW! I never knew there was such a direct correlation. I just got done doing legs today, and while I didn't increase my weights, I'm still noodley slightly going downstairs afterward, so I will be avoiding the scales tomorrow and Saturday! Scales be da*ned - clothes o meter for me! Work those legs !
Old 12-08-2006, 04:02 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Okay, this is cool then! After all, my "inputs" are good, but the output is a bit funny...

Bring on more leg days
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Yet another reason to not take measurements after lifting. All that blood in the muscles will give bigger measurements.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #9  

Add me to the list of leg-up girls. I was all smug thinking not me, not me, just because I could do my lbwo and still lose. Then this week I went up on my weights. Not only do I feel like I've received immunizations in both sides of my bottom, but my legs ache, and oh yes, the scale is up. So obviously my throbbing sensation is sending blood to the muscles in rescue mode and they are sucking up every bit of water I drink. Up 1.6! But feeling like wonderwoman when I literally run UP the stairs in my house!!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

WOW. I had read this thread a while back, but had never noticed it happening to me. Then, yesterday, I did my LBWO after dinner instead of first thing in the morning the way I usually do - and today I am up a whopping *2.6* pounds over yesterday! It wasn't even a particularly hard leg workout - no extra sorenes or anything - which I thought was usually the case when one noticed such an extreme weight difference after doing legs.

But NOTHING else was wonky - calories were a bit on the low side, no extreme sodium intake - just the afternoon leg workout and the fact that I started my period - so I guess I have to blame it on the LBWO. 2.6 pounds in one day?!? Dang! I'll have to stop weighing the day after leg day, too!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #11  

I think it' sprobably water from TOM too Su. Hopefully you'll drop 3 overnite in about 5 days!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #12  

Default Throw away the scale

Throw away the scale. Or at least just put it in a closet.

I'm one like that too, who weighs herself every dang day. Hasn't helped me, has it? I'm at 297 this morning, 295 2 days ago, didn't gain 2 "real" pounds, so I won't fret about it, but I'm thinking of doing the following--weighing myself only on the 1st of the month and if I need to know if I'm staying on track, measuring myself weekly.

I want to break free of the lbs game and I know when I start BFL I may gain more weight from muscles. I don't want to let that discourage me.
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #13  

Totally true. The scale is not as good an indicator as my clothes. I've gone from daily weigh-ins (because like someone else posted, it drove my whole mood for the day) to weekly weigh-ins for my challenge. But JG69, I did use bi monthly measuring prior to that - on the 1st and 15th. I could handle that and the results were always good, so I was very happy with that method & would highly recommend it to you.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #14  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Count me in too! At least on the scale is the thing. I'm am often an idiot. No really I know the scale completely affects my mood and yet I continue to get on it every day. I am trying so hard to know that if I'm eating well and working out, who cares. But you know what? I care! I have had many days where I was suddenly up 2 or 2.5 lbs. which could not have been due to what I ate but still it would kill me. Stupid scale.

I commend all of you who have broken the habit. I'm not quite there yet but I'm working on it.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #15  

I haven't been weighing in since starting with my trainer a month ago, but I've noticed that after 'leg day', I typically come home and drink nearly a quart of water. I'm always SO thirsty.

Yesterday, I actually drank a full quart. When I saw the trainer today, he gave me an evil laugh, and asked if my legs were sore. Surprisingly, they weren't, and he was REALLY puzzled(and somewhat disappointed) - especially when I told him they weren't even a TAD bit sore. (I'm wondering if all of the water helped?)
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote