Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Wrist bruising on step-ups

I do New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, and I love it.

I bumped my dumbbell weights up to 35 pounds in each hand, and I have no problem with the muscles I am supposed to be working. However, when I was doing it, I noticed that I was losing feeling in my wrist. The weight didn't feel too heavy - I lifted it without issue - but as I progressed, I started to lose feeling. I also feel like I bumped my wrists with the weights, and I now have several small bruises on each wrist.

Thoughts? I really want to keep using the 35s, and maybe get to the 40s soon, but the numbness and bruising make me wonder if there's a better way to increase the weights or a way to protect my wrists better with the dumbbells?
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Look up barbell step-ups in the book. That might help you increase weight without worrying as much about grip.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/154

Height: 5'7"

Hey Laurie there you are Glad you're still lifting those weights. Me too albeit in a different manner because I like my classes as opposed to doing it on my own. We've got a bit of a challenge going on at the gym as of late - one of the women with Trainer Alex managed to flip the 400 lb "men's" tire. So far she's the only woman to do it and now there's a small group of us that are gunning for Bubba (the tire's name haha). Two of us also train with Alex but I'm with Amber so we've divided into Team Alex and Team Amber to see who can get Bubba next haha. I've got my work cut out for me though because the other two ladies are getting close, but I've got a height/leverage advantage if I can just manage to lift it off the ground another couple of inches to get my legs in on the action. Bonnie and Becky can lift it but they can't muscle it over yet whereas I can't quite lift it as high, but given some help by that couple of inches, I can power through to tip it. Should be interesting to see who the next woman to conquer Bubba will be!

As for the wrist bruising - are you doing both sides at once? Maybe one side at a time with the higher weights will allow you to focus on form a little more and keep you from bruising up? Just a thought - I'm not familar with the New Rules of Weight Lifting
LesMillsLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the responses!

Saef - I will try the barbell step-ups. Sometimes the barbells are tricky to get, but I generally get to the gym mid-afternoon, which is by far the least populated time. Thanks for the tip.

LesMills - I love your Bubba story! I wish Bonnie and Becky success, but only after you have defeated him. And check you out - all the way down to 175.5. I hope to continue following you as you aggressively make your way down the scale!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote