Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-03-2014, 03:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

Default Getting started w/o embarassment

Hey all,

I'm a 45-year-old male and I haven't been in a gym since college.

I want to join a gym but I really don't know what to expect.

I think I want to start out by going when the gym is not very crowded. I'm a big, flabby, hairy guy and I think my muscles are embarrassingly weak. I get that you have to start somewhere but I'd rather start somewhere when almost nobody is there to see me.

What times of day/evening/night are best for gyms? (Except mornings, I can't do mornings.)

I need advice in a very low impact routine to get started.
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:05 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Phone a few gyms and explain what you want. Don't be shy.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:23 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Gyms generally won't be crowded except right after work during the weekdays. I go to an anytime fitness which is a chain that is 24/7 and there are sometimes I go and I'm the only person in the gym.

so if you avoid Monday-Thursday from 5-7, you will most likely have an uncrowded gym.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

Usually at day time during the week the gyms are pretty empty. People are working so if you have free time at this hours you won't meet big crowd. Don't be shy! I am sure not all came to the gym with having perfect shape already;-)
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

I'm so with you on this. The gym I use is at work (it's free) and I use it at lunch. Except I work for a police agency and there's always fit police officers there. And I'm an obese woman. And have to work with some of these officers too.
I'm going to just suck it up and do it (this is day 1!) but I'm so embarrassed.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

PinkLotus - I just want to reassure you that, as an obese woman, I have gotten almost universal acceptance from those I have labeled as "testosterone boys." It is wonderful to have someone help me with form or answer my newbie questions. Don't want to do it too frequently or really interrupt their work-outs, of course, but an occasional question from me has always been met with kindness and support. BTW - good to see you! The last time we interacted, I believe you were planning a wedding?

Superfluous - I don't have specific advice on a low-impact routine, but weight lifting isn't really particularly high impact. Most advice I have heard is to just pick a routine--tons available online or in books--and do body weight before you start with weights. So, a squat, but do it for the first session or two without the bar. Then, if you are sure your body can handle it and you have worked on good form, add the bar. Good luck.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote