cardio
0%
weight training
50.00%
cardio and weight training
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hello everyone!

I'm in need of some advice! i'll give you a brief introduction and weight history.

I'm 23 years old and I have been overweight most of my life. In 2011 before my 21st birthday I made a serious choice to lose weight and try and get fit. Bear in mind that prior to this I had tried all kinds of fad diets and joined gyms but never went.

I decided to go on the cambridge diet which included soups, shakes and one healthy protein and vegetable meal a day. I also worked out at the gym everyday. Over 3 months I lost about 15 kg, dropping from 95kg to 80kg. I had just graduated from uni and started work and keeping a healthy diet and gym routine got worse and worse.

I yo-yo'd between 80 and 85kg for the next 2 years and in Nov 2013 I decided that I was going to get back on my healthy living and work out routine. Maintaining a healthy diet (nothing radical like cambridge) and work out 5 days a week.

I have been doing this for about 3 months now and I'm finding it extremely hard to see a difference on the scale. So far I have only lost about 2 and a half kilos and my goal being to lose 20kg overall this seems to be going at a very slow pace. I've been on 2 5-day juice fasts in the last 2 months, I have salads for lunch and high protein meals for dinner with no carbs except for on my cheat day. My work out routine consists on 1 weight training day and 4 days of cardio. I sprained my ankle quite badly just as I was getting into running so I haven't done that for a while now but going to get back to this next week.

I've also been reading alot on the cardio vs weight training and a lot of people seem to recommend increasing weight training and doing cardio to support the work out routine. Although I have lost about 2 inches off my waist, I want to lose more and have a toned curvy body!

So after all this! Have any of you had similar experiences and what would you recommend I do to get back on the right track?!
  • Calories are burned more efficiently by aerobic exercises than by weightlifting. Yet, lifting weights is better for muscle growth than exercise, and your metabolism may remain raised for longer after weights than after cardio. Thus, the best workout regimen for enhancing body composition and health consists of both cardio and weight training.