Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 05:15 PM   #1  
cookies are for browsers

Default new to BFL

Hello all,

I'm a newbie and I hope you'll let me post here.

I am starting the BFL 12 week challenge on July 7. It looks like most people who do this are members at a gym? Do you need a gym or can you do this on your own at home? I do have dumbbells at home, plus yoga and Pilates equipment.

Are the Myoplex products available in retail stores?

One more question - I have plantar fasciitis, which makes even walking almost impossible first thing in the morning. I have been trying to stretch my feet and going to accupuncture to relieve this and it's helped a little bit, but the first-thing in the morning aerobics is making me wonder if I can do this without injuring myself. Is there anybody else who's done the aerobics a little bit later (like 30 minutes after waking) who has been successful?

Good luck and health to you all,

Jennifa
242/230 (counting calories)/170
Old 07-02-2003, 05:28 PM   #2  

Welcome Jennifa

Feel free to join us on the weekly thread - that is where we hang out

To try to answer your questions: You can do BFL at home. Most of us do belong to a gym but that is totally up to you. You just want to make sure you have the proper equipment.

You can buy Shakes such as Myoplex, MetRx, Grow, etc. at most vitamin stores, but there are some web sites that sell them for cheap. Check out this thread on here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=26117 There are sites and peoples reviews of the various products out there.

As for your palantir fascitis, I can totally relate!! I have achilles tendonitis, and I have lots of pain, especially in the morning if I don't wear my splints to bed. They are better now, but as for cardio I do mine at nite, and I do the bike, sometimes walk. Do what works best for you!!

Hope that helps!!

Robin
Old 07-02-2003, 06:31 PM   #3  
Meg

Default Hi Jennifa!

Welcome! I can't answer your BFL questions (though there are lots here who can ) but I can tell you that I have done cardio at every time (almost!) of the day or night and like to think that I've been successful (lost 122 or so pounds ). My advice to you is to do it however it works into your schedule -- the important thing is doing it!

Come on over and post on the main thread, like Robin said!

Meg
Old 07-02-2003, 06:50 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Welcome!! We Luvs Newbies!!! I can't help you with the BFL, I do a modified version... I bike, and go to a gym...
Old 07-02-2003, 09:38 PM   #5  
Banned

Welcome Jennifa!!

As mentioned, lots of people do BFL at home. I couldn't workout at home if I wanted to (no room), but I enjoy the variety offered at the gym, too.

I have plantar fasciitis, too. It really isn't important to do your cardio first thing in the morning. Do it later in the day when you're feeling better. Just be sure you do it. What are you planning to do for your cardio? If you can, you might want to try doing the bike or elliptical instead of the treadmill/running. That will be easier on your feet.
Good Luck with your Challenge!
Old 07-02-2003, 10:25 PM   #6  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey Jennifa

Do your cardio whenever you can - the important thing isn't when you do it - it's that you do it at all!

I have always done cardio in the afternoon and have lost a heap of fat that way.

JC
Old 07-03-2003, 12:00 PM   #7  
cookies are for browsers

Wow you all,

Thank you for the warm welcome!!! It's great to hear from you all! Thanks so much for letting me know that the time of day isn't so critical. Plantar fasciitis is no fun at all. My yoga strap really helps, though, and so does acupuncture (it's horrible but it does work.)

I have a big pink beach cruiser bike that I try to get on every afternoon for about 10 miles. Love that bike! I'm sure that will help. I have also been going bowling at lunchtime. It's a good way to burn some calories without the hassle of the locker room and it also relieves mid-day stress!!!!! (ahem - one day I was so mad I bowled a 222!!!)

I'm excited about weights, I bought a body bar (12 lb) which is really helping me work my lats. That plus yoga and Pilates, dumbbells and a roller thingie should help me tone up. I am lucky, my university has a wonderful gym. I have a message in to a personal trainer and friend, hopefully he will teach me the right way to do this in person, that will help to suppplement the book.

Thanks again for all your support, I will do my best to get over to the daily threads!

Jennifa
Old 07-03-2003, 02:45 PM   #8  

Jennifa,

Welcome!

I use Powerblocks at home though I really think that they are too much for me. I could have invested in a cheaper dumbbell set. I love em but I don't use the majority of the weights.

I would suggest a swiss ball for upper body workouts. For some reason it gives you a lot of stability and seems to isolate better than a weight bench. I particularly like flyes on the swiss ball.

I do go to the gym but it's possible to work out with weights at home. When I was doing leg workouts at home I did mostly lunges, walking lunges, deadlifts and squats. Those are powerful exercises. Plus a good swiss ball video will give you some terrific lower body exercises on the swiss ball. Can you tell I'm a big swiss ball fan??? I am prone to injury and think that the swiss ball helps a lot. I also used elastic bands since the hospital and that helps a lot.

Welcome again!
Susan
Old 07-07-2003, 04:23 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Jennifa,

Have you tried ice massage? I had a bone spur and some plantar's a couple years back and I KNOW how horrible it is to put that foot down in the morning.

An ice massage is like a natural anti-inflammatory. I did mine first thing in the morning and it worked like a charm. Freeze water in a paper cup, in the morning peel away some of the paper at the top and rub the exposed ice on your foot. Do it for at least 15 minutes. It hurts sooooo much but I could go from the ice massage to working out without much pain at all.
Closed Thread