Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 12:20 PM   #61  
Uber-Moderator!!

Paula! Congrats!! you are doing so well!!!

I was just thinking about the topic of 'how much water'. I remember this study hit the news recently (the one Clover was referring to that is). I skimmed the story under the link and was interested to see this paragraph near the bottom:

Quote:
On the other hand, people who are exercising and sweating more than normal need to replenish the vital liquid to avoid dehydration.
And THIS is interesting - I did a Google search for Professor Susan Barr and found this Q&A that she answered - turns out she is also an avid long-distance cyclist as well...

http://www.ultracycling.com/nutritio...qa_090201.html

Quote:
Question: Susan, during a one-week tour in the southwest in June I was plagued by an upset stomach. We averaged about 90 miles a day with about 5,000 ft. of climbing. The riding conditions were great — it was sunny every day with temperatures in the 80s. I've done a number of other tours; however, this was the most miles I've ever ridden in a week and the first time I've done back to back centuries.

For breakfast, I usually had oatmeal and/or fruit. At the rest stops I ate normal food: cookies, fruit, and crackers. For dinner, I usually ate pasta and stayed away from spicy foods. I usually drank a bottle of water during the two hours of riding in between rest stops. I started out riding well, but by day three my stomach was upset and I didn't have much appetite. At the end of day four, I almost passed out in the motel room.
Sam, from Pennsylvania

Answer: Sam, First of all, congratulations on completing an ambitious tour. There are a couple of possible causes of your symptoms: cumulative dehydration and cumulative energy depletion.

Regarding dehydration:
It's very easy to become dehydrated, especially when riding in hot, dry conditions. You may not be sweating noticeably, but the amount of water vaporized as sweat can be substantial. Salt crystals on your skin or clothing are a sign of fluid loss under these conditions.

There are several ways that you can tell if you're becoming dehydrated:

* You don't need to get up in the middle of the night to pee;
* you can go a whole morning or afternoon without urinating; and
* your urine is a deep yellow color.

Here are some suggestions to avoid this in the future:

1) Before breakfast, drink a couple of glasses of water;
2) Start out with both water bottles full, and aim to empty them by the time you reach a rest stop. (You'll need to practice this on your training rides — set your watch alarm to go off every 10 minutes or so, and practice drinking regularly);
3) At rest stops, drink a couple of glasses of fluid and fill your bottles;
4) When you get to the motel, carry a bottle of water with you and continue to drink throughout the evening.
Interesting - I've always used those indicators to make sure I'm drinking enough H2O...

Another interesting study from Medline...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Quote:
American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Exercise and fluid replacement.

Convertino VA, Armstrong LE, Coyle EF, Mack GW, Sawka MN, Senay LC Jr, Sherman WM.

It is the position of the American College of Sports Medicine that adequate fluid replacement helps maintain hydration and, therefore, promotes the health, safety, and optimal physical performance of individuals participating in regular physical activity. This position statement is based on a comprehensive review and interpretation of scientific literature concerning the influence of fluid replacement on exercise performance and the risk of thermal injury associated with dehydration and hyperthermia. Based on available evidence, the American College of Sports Medicine makes the following general recommendations on the amount and composition of fluid that should be ingested in preparation for, during, and after exercise or athletic competition: 1) It is recommended that individuals consume a nutritionally balanced diet and drink adequate fluids during the 24-hr period before an event, especially during the period that includes the meal prior to exercise, to promote proper hydration before exercise or competition. 2) It is recommended that individuals drink about 500 ml (about 17 ounces) of fluid about 2 h before exercise to promote adequate hydration and allow time for excretion of excess ingested water. 3) During exercise, athletes should start drinking early and at regular intervals in an attempt to consume fluids at a rate sufficient to replace all the water lost through sweating (i.e., body weight loss), or consume the maximal amount that can be tolerated. 4) It is recommended that ingested fluids be cooler than ambient temperature [between 15 degrees and 22 degrees C (59 degrees and 72 degrees F])] and flavored to enhance palatability and promote fluid replacement. Fluids should be readily available and served in containers that allow adequate volumes to be ingested with ease and with minimal interruption of exercise. 5) Addition of proper amounts of carbohydrates and/or electrolytes to a fluid replacement solution is recommended for exercise events of duration greater than 1 h since it does not significantly impair water delivery to the body and may enhance performance. During exercise lasting less than 1 h, there is little evidence of physiological or physical performance differences between consuming a carbohydrate-electrolyte drink and plain water. 6) During intense exercise lasting longer than 1 h, it is recommended that carbohydrates be ingested at a rate of 30-60 g.h(-1) to maintain oxidation of carbohydrates and delay fatigue. This rate of carbohydrate intake can be achieved without compromising fluid delivery by drinking 600-1200 ml.h(-1) of solutions containing 4%-8% carbohydrates (g.100 ml(-1)). The carbohydrates can be sugars (glucose or sucrose) or starch (e.g., maltodextrin). 7) Inclusion of sodium (0.5-0.7 g.1(-1) of water) in the rehydration solution ingested during exercise lasting longer than 1 h is recommended since it may be advantageous in enhancing palatability, promoting fluid retention, and possibly preventing hyponatremia in certain individuals who drink excessive quantities of fluid. There is little physiological basis for the presence of sodium in n oral rehydration solution for enhancing intestinal water absorption as long as sodium is sufficiently available from the previous meal.
Just some interesting tidbits...
Old 06-05-2003, 12:54 PM   #62  
Ilene the Bean

Paula 30 lbs COOL!! Congrats!!

Sel -- -"We are all performing an experiment of one". Oh, I reallly like that saying... What I have discovered over the years also, is when one thing works, whether it be food or exercise wise, my body adapts to it, so eventually I have to change up. This is specially true with exercise, I now change every 3 weeks! Food is the same too, but not as often...

Meg -- Well said as usual!!

Karen -- On the water/dehydration topic... I was biking with a friend last week and we did 30K and she never drank water... I reprimanded her on this, and she said she didn't because she afraid to go the wash room... I explained to here my experience has been that when I bike I can actually drink allllll the water I want and never have to go because it gets absorbed and evaporates away... I had read this ages ago, and your article reminded me of this....

I had to laugh this morning at break, one of the girls I sit with I have gotten hooked on the CC , fruit and jello concoction.... She says to me today, I have to stop eating that it's making me gain weight... I was puzzled, and then remembered that often in the afternoon break she eats chips or babyfood in a jar (sugar loaded)... so I laughed and brought this to her attention... she replied: "Oh ?!?! yea?!?!... Then maybe it's not the CC... maybe it's also that huge plate of spaghetti I had last night too...." Even she knew she was being silly... We had a good laugh....

Ok gotta go... lunch break is over...

Mel -- I can do 25# hammer curls too.... yippee.... the other day when you said that, I thought , maybe I can too.... I guess we can all be our own trainers here?
Old 06-05-2003, 12:59 PM   #63  
Student of the Hoof

Meg - Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not alone in the LB thing. I guess maybe I'll just have to try harder to get that cardio in the next day even if I feel like road kill.

Paula - I wish I could do that every LB workout. Unfortunately, I'm usually at a dead run the second I finish to get showered, the dogs walk, and make it to work. I already wake up at 4:30 am as it is. Any earlier and I might as well just not go to bed! I have managed to do cardio when I postponed my LB till Saturday, and oddly enough, that works very well. I finish the weights, then jump on the treadmill and it's great.

Mrs Jim - I noticed that same little blurb about exercising and sweating. I had to laugh when I saw that. I myself have noticed one really rather spectacular effect of not drinking enough water while lifting, and that is muscle cramping. Two or three times I have worked out hard, and the next day not taken in nearly enough water, and I've paid the price in pain. Muscle soreness and stiffness are *much* worse for me if I don't drink enough.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:11 PM   #64  
Uber-Moderator!!

Ilene...wanna hear a funny story? It was embarrassing to me for YEARS but Mom and Dad love to drag it out every Thanksgiving...since I was seven when this happened I've since gotten over it... And it IS related to water and washrooms.

When I was 7, one of my uncles and aunts - along with their four kids - who were mostly older than us girls - came to visit for a couple weeks. Of course since they were from Indiana, we had to take them to San Francisco and do the tourist thing. While we were in Ghiardelli Square (the old chocolate factory - now renovated into shops and restaurants) I felt an urge to pee...but I hated using public restrooms...so I held on. It got worse and worse, to the point where I was hopping from foot to foot. Mom asked me if I needed to go, and I of course said "NO".

Our party of 12 then walked to Fisherman's Wharf for lunch at Alioto's. Since we were such a big group, we had a big table right in the middle of the main dining room...I got to sit next to my older cousin Phil, whom I had a HUGE crush on (he was probably a HS senior at the time). Well...about 5 minutes after we all sat down...the dam broke...I just sat there (BTW I was wearing jeans!) and didn't say anything - I don't remember who noticed the tinkling noises. As Mom always says when relating this tale: "It was like a RIVER!"

The waiters and maitre'd all rushed over with mops and buckets whilst Mom whisked my sorry butt into the ladies room (why? I didn't need to go anymore...) and of course I got a big spanking and THE LECTURE...I don't remember if we actually ate lunch or left in embarrassment - but I DO remember we still took a cable car ride up to Union Square where I believe we were parked. Needless to say I had a HUGE rash all over my backside for days!

Just call me Wee Willie Winkie!
Old 06-05-2003, 04:29 PM   #65  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Robin - The YMCA offers a great program where you work with a trainer one on one for one session and then come back every 4 weeks to him/her. And it's free.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:12 PM   #66  
Brand New Mrs 11/1/03

Waving hi to everyone from under a pile of dust here. :lol Today was Legs at the gym. Having missed a few sessions due to the workers needed me around, I really went at it today. I had to take the elevator back upstairs when I was done.

lemon juice.. since I have the PFA, I might as well dig up this info For a Cup of bottled lemon juice, 51 calories, P/C/F is 1/16/.7 (grams, not %) and 6 of those are carbs are sugar.

For fresh lemon juice, 1 Cup is 61 calories, 1 protein, 21 carbs and 0 fat. BUT 8 of those carbs are sugar grams.

Balsamic vinegar... probably pays to check the label as I'm sure the brands all differ. There were 2 listed. Serving size was 1 tbls, one had 5 grams carbs no fat, and 4 of those grams were sugar. The other brand was 2 carbs and both were sugar.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:11 PM   #67  
Ilene the Bean

Great info Audrey -- but what is PFA?

Oh man Karen, I could tell you several incidents about accidents, I have a very weak bladder... and one only 2 winters ago... We were coming back from skiing in the Laurentians and before leaving the hill I had a beer and a large bottle of water.... So we get out of the Laurentians and we have to go through Montreal 4PM rush hour traffic, on the highway... bumper to bumper... slow very slow... I had to go sooo badly I had the seat so that I could lie down straight, because sitting up put too much pressure on my bladder. If I would've had a bottle or bucket I would have done it in there without even thinking about it... But instead I see an exit, but it's not really an exit it's a parking lot, I say to DH, Pull in!!!! Here? he says.... YES IT HURTS, NOW!!! Poor guy, not wanting the wrath of Ilene pulls in... We have the kids in the van, with one other boy, younger than ours because we had gone up with another couple.... So I say to him, Turn around and don't look! I literally jump out of the van, shut the door, and don't even walk away from it and do it right there... What a sight I musta been I tell ya... But when you gotta go, you gotta go!!! Actually I was so quick I don't think anyone noticed, actually I didn't even notice if there was anyone in that parking lot ... what I sight I must have been...
Old 06-05-2003, 07:17 PM   #68  

Default Days like these...

Times like this Im so glad I have you guys for support.

First the bad news: Ate off plan today like I havent since I STARTED, but its not the first day this week. *sigh* I need to clean up my eating big time.

Im so immensely stressed and anxious about our trip to visit my parents (need I say more?) that Im having nightmares where I wake up covered in sweat, and Im reverting to my old emotional eating

here's what Ive eaten today:
1/4 small watermelon (3 cups?)
2 slices ww toast w/ ketchup
P. shake
2 crepes with strawberry jam
handful of sunflower seeds
baked chicken (my usual BFL meal)
potato wedges (used butter on the pan tho)
Bernaise sauce (this is the killer. its basically mayo! wtf is my problem??)
peice of cinnamon bun

granted this is NOTHING compared to my old eating habits, but UGH!

I really feel terrible and want to crawl into bed and just sleep until monday morning when we leave. I did my cardio last night after i got home from the gym (UBWO) as I was on a roll so that was good.

Tomorrow is legs and (maybe) cardio as I will not have the time to get to the gym this weekend at ALL! Im so frustrated with myself for letting myself down (slowly) over the last 6 weeks.

So I guess I hit a major speed bump. I will get back on track tomorrow. If you all can do it, then I dont have an excuse either.

Tidey
Old 06-05-2003, 07:52 PM   #69  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Nola: Be careful about shipping Myoplex into Australia. Quarantine can have a field day on you if you get searched. There are plenty of places in Aus you can buy it - email me and we can try and sort it out for you. Otherwise just buy a good quality PP and add fruit to make a shake - it's cheaper and the carb source is better for you.

The debate: I guess I am the anomoly then because I gained more muscle as I lost the fat and went from 217lbs to about 160lbs. I also started with free weights and still use them in preference to machines. One of the things that helped me lose the weight was not having 'self-limiting beliefs' so basically when I said I can't do that because of who I am, what I weigh etc I shut the thought out and just did it anyway. The main point I wanted to raise was that I am maintaining now and I eat more food than I did when I was 217lbs. That was one of my problems I didn't eat enough or regularly enough.

JC
Old 06-05-2003, 07:56 PM   #70  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey Tidey,

I had a write off day yesterday as well. I guess that it is stress with my father being back in hospital (not that that is an excuse). I ate all my scheduled food but also had 2 pieces of toast with peanut butter, some hot chips and 2 tim tams.

But I am back on track today because in the end perfection isn't what matters it's consistency over time. We are all thinking of you and sending you positive vibes.

JC
Old 06-05-2003, 08:14 PM   #71  

Tidey, JC

Yesterday was a write off for me as well. Not making any excuses either-it was a major day from **** with Murphy's Law wrecking havoc in my life. When things calmed down in the evening, I decided the last thing I needed to do was castigate myself. Today it was back up on the horse and out into the race.

Sending postive vibes and prayers to you both. Tidey enjoy your visit with your famlily.

Sel

Last edited by Trinidad; 06-05-2003 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:13 PM   #72  

*HUGS*

thanks JC and Trinidad, I feel much better now. I really get wound up over stuff I guess.

One of the things I love about this board is that we CAN say "made a mistake" and not get trod on for it. I feel like I can actually be honest here about my progress and that is a really great feeling. Tomorrow will be great, LBWO here I come!

thanks so much!
Tidey
Old 06-05-2003, 09:46 PM   #73  
JEC
Aussie and proud

You GO gurl!!!!!

JC
Old 06-05-2003, 09:47 PM   #74  
Ilene the Bean

Geez must be off day around the world, East Coast, Sweden, Australia, and now Canada...

I had a totally off afternoon, too....

Here's what I ate:

Started at noon, I was too lazy to make myself anything so I slapped two slices of flax bread and 4 slices of turkey breast together and that's it ( not enough protein)... this was at noon... no snack in the afternoon, at 4PM i was hungry, (more than 3 hours, not a good idea) so I ate 4 hard candies that were in the bowl of a co-worker... Well the sugar got me going then....
Got home ate 3 different types of granola bars...3 slices of bread with *ugh* Cheez whiz.... some crackers and the same *ugh* Cheez whiz... finally I stopped!! All this carb overload I fell asleep on the couch!! For supper I ate some lettuce with a bit of salad dressing the guilt was way too bad to eat more.... Tonite I just had my shake before bed ....

So, I guess tomorrow is another day....

Nite all.....
Old 06-06-2003, 01:39 AM   #75  

Default another potty post

I have noticed that I have much, much better bladder control since I began lifting weights. I think its the squats. I also think they have improved my digestion. I feel like they are 'toning' me from the inside out. Dreaded word 'tone', but seems appropriate for internal organs. Hey, the yoga people are always talking about internal organs. Why can't we? Umm... sexual function is also greatly improved. I'll leave it at that.
Closed Thread