Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 09:42 AM   #31  

Tik - Not in my area. They need new ones though. I live in the Norfolk area of Virginia, and it is growing like weeds out here. Bally's is 20 minutes from me, but I chose it because it is by my work and one on my way home (the one I go to). I didn't care for the clubs by me. I wish the would build one by me, or at least a bit closer....it would be nice!! The one right by my work is older....and it is so crammed I don't go there. It seems like the older Bally's are like that.

Meg - Thanks for the suggestion. I may try that the next time they have 3 sessions for $99 or something. That would be enough to get what I want, even though I do 4 day splits. Otherwise (at least when I checked 2 years ago) they are anywhere from 5 sessions for 275 to 15 for 600. YIKES!! In some respects though, they scare me!! But, they let you work out for one session for free? I did not know that.

Robin
Old 06-04-2003, 11:30 AM   #32  
Meg

Robin -- the free try-out sessions are something that I discovered the trainers will do to try to get your business. It's not a company policy or anything. I just picked several of the trainers who I had watched with clients and thought looked good and said that I was looking for a trainer and would like to try a workout with them. I brought my before and after pictures and my binder where I keep my Fitday printouts and my workouts and explained to them where I started from and what my goals are. We did the workouts and talked and I picked the one that seemed to be the best fit for me. Our trainers are so desperate for business that they give away free sessions, like -- if you buy three, they'll throw in one free. Never hurts to ask!

Perhaps pick a trainer who you have seen in your gym who works out his/her clients in a way that you like and talk to him/her. And trainers love clients who are motivated and willing to work hard, like you obviously are (they hate "the whiners"). I guarantee they won't brush you off!

Meg
Old 06-04-2003, 12:16 PM   #33  
Uber-Moderator!!

That's exactly what 24 Hour Fitness offers with each membership - what they call a 'free training session' but really what it is, is a trainer taking 25-30 minutes to show you the machines (not the free weights from what I've seen) and then trying to sell you a training package. Well...that's life I guess. They're just trying to make a living...just wish they were more qualifed. To tell the truth, it's difficult to see exactly *what* shape the trainers are in as their general 'uniform' consists of a purple polo shirt and baggy black pants.

I've seen training 'specials' advertised on the white board at the check-in desk frequently...I admit I don't pay much attention to them but I recall the special is generally $520 for 10 sessions. Wowza! That's a lotta bucks. I think the trainers at my gym are strictly regulated as far as giving away freebies...dunno though...
Old 06-04-2003, 12:27 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

our trainers here cost way more than what i am seeing on this board and they haven't posted any specials since New Years. They do offer a few sessions with a new membership, but when I joined in 1998, that wasn't available. As for physiques, they have their photos - body and all - posted on a board along with their "credentials."

The best trainer there has a cool board all to himself. He competes in natural competitions. He did one series where he had a photo of himself on competition day and then a series of photos taken in 5 day intervals after the competition to show just how much and how quickly food could change the shape and appearance of your body. It was unbelievable. After just a few days you would not think that he had just competed such a short time ago.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:22 PM   #35  
Brand New Mrs 11/1/03

Hello LWL I've been a bit absent, trying to live in two places during all the construction here. <sigh>. Course the conversation on training brought me right back out of lurkdom. :lol

Years ago, before my building had it's own gym, I went to the gym in the neighborhood (then an independent, now part of NY Sports Club). I didn't care for the "trainers" doing the "free 3 sessions", as their sole goal seemed to pick up women. I was there to workout, showed up with no make-up, hair pulled back etc, and was of no interest to them. Also, I wasn't a size 2. I took the "show me the machines" sessions since they were free, and never did more. Then I was in there on an off day, no one was in, and there was one trainer who was bored. He chatted with me while I was on the treadmill doing my cardio and I decided to try the sessions. Chris was great. I paid $40 per hour (again, this was at least 7 years ago, maybe more), and he had me working with the free weights and the machines. previously, I just spend hours on cardio, and maybe do a set or two of the leg machines. He put me thru everything. And he stretched me after our sessions. I was very sorry when he moved on to something else, and didn't try anyone else at that same gym.

When my building opened the gym, they made an arangement with one of other tenants. She's a personal trainer and they gave her an exclusive for the building gym (claiming that our insurance prohibits us from bringing in our "own" trainers) in exchange for her help in getting the equipment and doing into sessions for the residents. She knows her stuff, but is not very good at teaching. I trained with her for a while and had to take notes after sessions after I got back upstairs. She hated it if I tried to take notes during a session, and would add in cardio sprints so that I could not take notes. She requires her clients to pay her in advance for the month, and missed sessions are really not allowed.. even if you give her enough notice. (I understand about the last minute cancellations). I learned some new ways to workout, and she'd vary the routine each time, but I didn't like that I wasn't able to learn (she discouraged that cause then she'd lose the income). I see her training others these days when I'm there, and its gotten very sad. Most often these are people who are new to working out, and she likes to gab. So they do a set.. they talk. . they do another set.. They get about a 1/2 hour of working out in an hour's time, and have prepaid for this. No thanks. I'd like a trainer, but not if she's my only option.

These days, I alternate between weeks in the gym, and weeks in the living room with my Cathe Friedrich tapes. I'll even take some of the exercises I learn with the tapes down to the gym. Cathe fills in nicely for counting reps for me <g>. I get music and the feeling like there are others lifting with me, even if they're just on my TV. My Physique Transformation Counselor is gearing up for a show, so she's been sharing exercises with me. I pay her for consultations on my eating plan, but if the eating is going well, we usually have time to chat about the workouts (and I have email support which is great). So, I have remote training right now. That helps me with new ideas when the workouts start to get stale.

Right now though, I'm still in limbo. My shower is back at my mom's, so I haven't been getting in all my workouts, since the bathroom project started. I might end up with 2-3 total body workouts instead of my usual split for this week. Drinking all my water is a bit of a challenge too <g>.. since it means a trip to the gym downstairs, about 20 min later. :lol
Old 06-04-2003, 02:17 PM   #36  

Default have never considered a trainer

My gym really pushes the Nautilus machines. And I came in there so out of shape that I just knew that they'd steer me to the water aerobics class. Free weights for a 46 year old 275 woman? I don't think so....

I'm just a natual skeptic. The more something gets hyped the less likely I am to believe it. How's this for heresy:

I think you should drink when you're thirsty and not force yourself to drink more water than you want.

I think stretching is overhyped.

I also question the whole muscle weighs more than fat thing that many people cling to when first starting out. I just don't believe that it is possible to put on 2 pounds of muscle in one week while taking off 3 pounds of fat. I believe something else in going on... not sure what and have never seen any explanation of this.

I also think it is a myth that adding muscle will dramatically increase your caloric needs so you'll be able to a lot eat more without gaining weight. I'd be really interested to see a study on this. I think efficiency issues come into play. I do think it is possible to teach your body to consume more without gaining which sounds wackier than the "more muscle means i get more food" theory, so go figure...

I just know that a trainer would be telling me to drink a lot more water, stretch a lot, not to worry if I'm not losing weight because "muscle weighs more than fat" and that "muscle burns a lot more calories than fat". It would be hard to take anything else they have to say seriously.

Part of my problem is that people tend to take a look at me and assume I am an idiot. If I only KNEW how to eat I wouldn't be 100 pounds overweight. KNOWING what to eat was never my problem....

I tend to avoid the trainers who roam around my gym. I make them nervous... a heart attack or blown knee just waiting to happen. I'd love to find somebody who would take me seriously but haven't seen anyone yet.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:03 PM   #37  

Quote:
I do think it is possible to teach your body to consume more without gaining which sounds wackier than the "more muscle means i get more food" theory, so go figure...
Just curious...how would you go about this "teaching"?

I have found that my metabolism is much faster after adding some muscle; even though I now weigh 20-25 pounds less than when I started (at 138) I can eat much more and not gain, even without doing cardio.

I do feel that thirst is not very efficient for some people (myself included) as a measure of adequate hydration. I also find that as I drink more water, my thirst mechanism is getting better.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about what a trainer would tell you; have you ever talked to one? Sure there are good ones and bad ones, but they sure don't all spout the same ideas about everything.

Laura
not a trainer
Old 06-04-2003, 07:47 PM   #38  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Actually there is scientific evidence that thirst is the indication of the first stage of dehydration. I try to drink water regularly to stay away from dehydration completely.

JC
Old 06-04-2003, 08:00 PM   #39  
Peace with body and soul

Well Cloverflower there is ONE very important elment of weight training that you, as a 46 year old woman, needs to consider and that is weight training builds muscle and increases bone mass and the increased muscle protects that bone mass, as menopause approachs.

If you can't consider working out w/weights for your health as far as building muscle to burn fat and change your body shape, increase your heart endurance, lower your blood pressure and boost your metabolism, then think of your bones and the onset of Osteoporosis.

And by the way, both the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) have put out studies regarding their research on weight training and metabolism and/or fat burning. So has the world famous Mayo Clinic. Do a Google search and find probably 100's more studies on weight training and health. The information is out there, you just have to be willing to do the research to find it and then, to put the information in practice.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:21 PM   #40  
Banned

Default Re: have never considered a trainer

Quote:
Originally posted by cloverflowers
Free weights for a 46 year old 275 woman? I don't think so....
I used to be a 45 year old, 280+ lbs. woman. I wish I had know about weights then. Yes, you should do them now. There is no better exercise.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:31 PM   #41  
Meg

Guys, I think she was being sarcastic about what her gym told her when she joined ... read her "New -- Saying Hi" thread from a few days ago.

Meg
Old 06-04-2003, 09:06 PM   #42  
Ilene the Bean

Meg -- I was thinking the same... and I hope we're right...

Clover please clarify...
Old 06-04-2003, 11:35 PM   #43  
Uber-Moderator!!

Clover - if you haven't checked 'em out yet...I HIGHLY recommend reading the sticky "Basic Body for Life Info" - there are some fantastically informative sites to check out that can probably answer MOST of your questions (and yes including studies )

The Krista Smash! website and the Hussman websites are great places to start doing research...check 'em out!

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

http://www.hussman.org/fitness/
Old 06-04-2003, 11:43 PM   #44  

Well, Clover you certainly have presented an interesting view of things.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that people tend to view calorie challenged individuals (How’s that for a new label.) as mentally deficient. It has always amazes me how they, the non-calorie challenged people tend to think the two go together like say…. chips and dip. How does being overweight have an effect on one’s intelligence and brainpower?

As for stretching, it is something that I must do every day to keep aches, pains and creaking bones away. IMO, it makes me retain that youthful spring in my step. Just yesterday, I was reviewing a documentary on the great French ballerina, Zizi Jeanmaire and her husband, Roland Petit, who was also a dancer and choreographer. At the time the documentary was filmed they were both 74 years of age, but appeared much younger. Why? Because of their daily program of Pilates utilizing both floor exercises and machines. As you are probably aware, Pilates-at the advanced level places special emphasis on stretching the muscles to their max. Hence, Zizi at 74 retains much of the suppleness that she had in her youth and still dances on occasion-though not en Pointe. My goal is to be like Zizi-to be able to stand on one leg while raising the other to shoulder level. Just think how popular I will be at the old age home.

My opinion on personal trainers-like every professional in life, some are good and some are bad. I have lifted weights at Bally’s and no frills gyms where the weights were rusted and there was very little carpeting on the floor. I liked the no frills gyms better. Less BS, no sales pitch and dead serious fitness enthusiasts. Not one woman in the place was worried about bulking up; rather how much weight they could move now and in the near future by training hard.

Oh, the water thing. I swear my skin looks older if my intake goes below a gallon a day. Since my goal is to look at least five years younger than my chronological age (45), I make sure to drink up.

Hmm…my brain is a bit tired, so if I misread your post please forgive my ramblings.

Good day weights wise-bad day food wise. To quote Scarelett O'hara "Tomorrow is another day".

Good night ladies.

Sel

Last edited by Trinidad; 06-04-2003 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:49 AM   #45  

Default whew!

Quote:
Originally posted by semmens
Just curious...how would you go about this "teaching"?

I admitted the idea was wacky! Umm... I guess I thought you could try adding more food while carefully monitoring weight and cut back if weight is gained.

I just googled up a couple of articles to support my crazy ideas:
1. don't need so much water
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/03/14..._glasses030314

Of course you could google up a million links to support the idea that you must drink lots and lots of water to be healthy.

Unable to find anything to support my hunch that "more muscle means I get to eat more without gaining" is wishful thinking. Here's some of my thinking:

1. Fat people probably have some pretty big muscles to begin with. We are weightlifters before we ever enter the gym. That said, I think *losing* muscle while losing weight is a huge problem that needs to be addressed by a good weight training program.
I should spell it out right here: I am a huge believer in the benefits of weightlifting. I was being sarcastic when I said "free weights for a 46 year old, 275 pound woman? I don't think so". Sorry for the confusion.

2. There probably isn't that much variation among women - a woman with really big muscles probably doesn't have a lot more muscle than a woman with puny muscles in terms of actual muscle mass. Not compared to the variation present in men.

Granted, a 140 pound flabby woman with little muscle who spends two years to become a 140 pound body builder and puts on a substantial amount of muscle (say 15 lbs of fat lost and 15 lbs of muscle gained) would get to eat more. And we'd all agree that gaining 15 pounds of muscle for a woman would be QUITE an accomplishment, right? She'd need to be blessed with good genes to begin with, imo. Anyway, how would that calculation go? You burn up 13 calories per day for each pound of muscle. So 15 X 13 = 195. 195 more calories burned each day due to increased muscle mass. Not bad. An extra bagel.

For a 200 lb woman who slims down to 140, well, the results are murkier. First of all, it takes more calories to maintain 200 pounds than 140, no matter what the body composition is. Agreed? If she actually gained muscle while slimming down (difficult to do, but this group proves it is possible!) then she'd get to eat more than she would have otherwise. But still less than what she ate at 200. And that, in a nutshell is my point.

Oh, here is a more subtle point: If caloric requirements rise, so will hunger. Is a 120 lb woman eating 2000 calories a day less satisfied than a 220 man eating 3200 calories? Not necessarily. She simply needs less food.

On a more positive note:
All other things being equal, I do think an active, strong, lean woman has a much easier time than an inactive obese woman:
1. contolling her appetite
2. controlling her eating
3. getting a good amount of exercise both thru daily life and working out at a gym or whatever
4. deaing with stress in a healthy way

It occurs to me that I may have entered a building and yelled "fire". It has begun to dawn on me that many here follow Body for Life or some other regimen. And that boosting your metabolism thru weight training is probably central to the BFL program. I'm not a troll and I don't wish to challenge you in any way. I was just babbling on about widely accepted beliefs that I am skeptical about. No offense intended. Of course, I am just pulling this stuff outta my *** and have no real basis for my beliefs. Just hunches.

I do think we'll look back on water bottles 20 years from now and wonder what the big deal was. I claim to come in peace but have to get in a parting shot!
Closed Thread