Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #31  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I did the first three stages of NROL4W, I lost a lot of inches but not much weight. I was going to start it over again after some time off and did a few workouts, but then I had a hive break out due to an allergy I didn't know I had. I couldn't workout for a few weeks because the hives would come back.

Now I'm halfway through the first stage of Supercharged. I notice my posture seems better, my gut isn't hanging out as much, and I can see some definition in my arms (which is amazing considering I'm still 20 or so lbs overweight). I like Supercharged much better so far.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

That's good to know Stephanie. I think I will finish up NROL4W and then head on over to Supercharged. I am just now finishing up Phase 1 with the special workouts. I haven't lost any weight that I can see, but I did take measurements before I started so that will be interesting. I'm feeling good lifting, though. I'm really glad I've started. What seems better about Supercharged to you?
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #33  

Wow 2FatCats! Those are some impressive results! I haven't been keeping track of my body fat percentages, but now wish that I had. I did take some pre-measurements. I'm going to measure this weekend because I am just finishing up Phase 1. I'll have to hop on over to your thread and see what's happening there too.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #34  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Moving Forward, I lost a lot of inches during the 1st Stage, definitely check it out!

I like the customization part of Supercharged, and I like the set up of the workouts better. I also get a way better calorie burn with Supercharged.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 225 / 177.2 / 140

I can't even comment on how many times I've started NRoL4W, but I'm making 2013 my year to finish it. I'm still in Stage 1. I can only fit in 2 workouts a week, so I'm going much slower than I would like. I also run and bike, so I'm balancing a couple of programs. I think I got to Stage 5 during one of my previous attempts. I really need to start up with interval training like what is called for in the later stages. I do modify some of the exercises since I'm using a home gym and don't have a cable machine.
gretel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #36  

Hi Gretel--I'm just now doing the last special workout in phase 1. How far into it are you? It was amazing to me to see how light the weights now feel from my first workout. I did 130 squats last night with 10 pounds in each hand (I now squat with 40 in each hand). I had to stop because my feet were getting tired! The rest of the workout was better and I actually did AMRAP. I hope you continue with it this time. I, too, am doing this at home and have to modify because I don't have a cable machine. So far, it seems to be working out.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #37  

Moving Forward - My next workout will be B #7, still stage 1. I'm thinking about skipping the AMRAP workout because I am going slow and I really just want to get to the end. I wish I was strong enough for that weight for squats. I'm up to 45 pounds on the barbell. I might have to go to the gym for the squat rack soon...
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #38  

I really wish I had a squat rack. I've had my husband act as a squat rack for me a few times. When I do the weights on my back, I'm definitely lifting less weight than I can hold in my hands. Today I will do the last special workout. I wasn't planning to take the allowed week off between phases, but it looks like I'm going to be forced to because I have to travel for several days next week. The timing works out nicely at least. I'm anxious to get to phase 2, but I know it will be waiting for me when I get back.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #39  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Maybe this is a better thread for me; mine's not getting any activity lol. I wanna start this program but should I really do it when I haven't hit goal yet? I know it's all about losing inches and not actual pounds, but I wanna get down to 140! I don't want it to prevent my losses. How can you lose the weight and do the program at the same time by following his plan?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #40  

Hey Mimsyborogoves! This thread has been pretty quiet lately too. But I'm definitely still doing NROLW. I'm in the same spot with you weight-wise. When I started the program in January, I was about five pounds heavier than I am now. My guess is that doing this has slowed my actual loss on the scale (not dramatically), but lately I keep having people tell me how much skinnier I'm looking. My goal is 140 on the scale, but I'll take a few pounds heavier, slimmer, and toner over 140 any day of the week! Full disclosure though--I'm still eating at a deficit. The calories the program recommends to build muscle are much higher. I will consider upping the calories when I hit my goal weight. Another thing to consider is that I was on a loooong plateau until I started lifting. I really think it's what made the difference because it's the only change I've made. Can you tell I'm sold? Lol!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #41  

S/C/G: BF% 37.6/see sig/BF20%

Height: 5' 9"

@ Mimsyborogoves & Moving Forward:
I started on Jan 1 at 170, now 2 months in - I'm at 153. But I'm doing the Supercharged version which has intervals at the end of each workout. You could always add those if it doesn't have them. I wear my hr monitor and burn between 750-850 calories each workout, too. Calories - I'm with Moving - still eating at a deficit - around 1500-1600. I am dropping my body fat before I start the calorie surplus bulking portion. That should be about 148 (to put me under 20%) for me. The best thing, though - no loss of muscle over past 2 months. I've actually managed to gain a few pounds of muscle as well!! I normally would have worn a size 10 at 150, this time I could at 160. So I'd say it works!
2FatCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #42  

I'm now in Stage 2. I'm losing about a pound a week following the myfitnesspal guidelines (sedentary and 1 pound per week loss) and eating back exercise calories. Most of the last two weeks, I've been above my recommended calories. I always eat more on lifting days even if I don't quite eat as much as the book says I should. I get up to 1800-2000 calories on lifting days. I think I'm supposed to be over 2200, but I don't feel hungry enough to eat that much. I need to work on getting more protein into my diet though. I think that would help me feel more awake some days. I'll continue to keep my calorie deficit until I'm well out of the obese range.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 188/188/100

Height: 4'11"

Hello, I've decided to do NROL4W, except I am doing a modified version. Since I have had previous personal training, I incorporated the plan from there to this one. I just started my plan yesterday. It will go for 2 months. I didn't like the way they did circuit training, so I have leg day, chest day, back day, and ab day. So we'll see how my "level 1" turns out. I haven't taken a closer look at the other stages, I honestly had to reread all of the stages in order to get what they were trying to instruct me to do like 10 times. But yeah, hope to keep tabs on this forum possibly.
tiawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #44  

2FatCats--Those are some impressive results. NROLW has started to add in intervals after lifting in phase 2. All along, I have been jumping on the treadmill for a bit after lifting to extend the burn. I am impressed with the calories you are burning. I get credit for about 200 usually in MFP, but on some days it feels like it should be a lot more. I think I will go to Supercharged after finishing NROLW. Like you, I will likely increase calories on lifting days once I hit my goal to build more muscle. My percentage body fat has decreased since I've started lifting, which tells me I've gained muscle even eating at a deficit.

Gretel--I'm in phase 2 as well. It's going well, except I'm not feeling the flexion exercises. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. Are you feeling them?

Tiawyn--What you are doing sounds really different than NROLW. It's great you have some previous experience. Since so many of these exercises involve multiple body areas, I'm not quite sure how you are separating them out like that. In talking with my friends that lift, what you are doing sounds like a more traditional style of lifting workout schedule. I'll be curious to see how this goes for you.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 188/188/100

Height: 4'11"

Well the thing that I was using is the skeleton of the workout schedule, with having 8 workouts, gradually getting heavier and less reps. I just scrambled what exercises to do daily. There are times when I really work out legs and even four days after I'm still sore, so I can't imagine doing the same thing 2 days later. Plus, the theory of working the same muscle, but in different ways to keep the body guessing is more appealing than doing squats every other workout day. Like yesterday, I did 3 different kinds of bicep curls (hand weights, ez curl bar, and preacher machine) as well as two different kinds of chest exercises (incline chest machine and push ups).

It has worked for me in the past, I was just implementing the whole increase weight, lower rep gradually instead of sticking to the 15 reps and gradually increase weight as comfortable as I can fulfilling the 15. We'll see how it goes.

And I'm not with my trainer anymore, so this is a good skeleton to work on by myself.
tiawyn is offline   Reply With Quote