Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/250/150

Height: 5'7

Default Running advice

One of my goals of losing weight is being able to run, so far I've lost 40lbs while avoiding the treadmill but the last couple of weeks I thought I would give it a try. It started off well My first time I tried interval running a couple minutes at a time then walking. I did that for a few days, now I've started running for longer periods. My longest period being 20 minutes straight, which is a big deal for me. Recently tho I've tried to run and my calf muscles seize up and I physically can't run for longer then a minute :/ the next day I was fine I ran for 10 minutes, but today was the same. I don't know why? I'm warming up and stretching it can't be that i'm over exerting myself I missed the gym yesterday
Madkitty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #2  

Opps posted in wrong section
Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #3  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

Hmmmm
I started running after started walking for a long long time just to get my body used to carrying the load.
the only thing I can think of is to massage your legs every chance you get.
I use foam roller and do it a few times a day. and of course, cool down walk at least a mile after running....

Last edited by masterptr; 10-10-2012 at 06:23 PM.
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #4  
awesomeness

S/C/G: 140/114/110

Height: 4' 11"

Well I'm glad to see yet another get inspired to run . The thing I found most helpful when first starting is (of course) the rotation between running and walking. Perhaps even jogging to get the body used to the motion. A LOT of beginner runners make the mistake of running too fast. You have to work your way up. And running 20 minutes straight for only just starting might be the reason your muscles are seizing up. Now I'm just taking shots in the dark since I don't know your speed vs. time and all. Try to take days off in between. Maybe do running one day and cross-train the next. Massages and icing calves helps too.
FitMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/205/145

Height: 5'3"

This inspires me to try running. I haven't ran in years.The last time I tried I couldn't last one full minute, how embarassing! Now that I have been building endurance with exercise I would love to try it. Congratulations!
dawnrnay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #6  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMel View Post
Try to take days off in between. Maybe do running one day and cross-train the next. Massages and icing calves helps too.
yes Not running every day is very important especially in the beginning.
I run every other day.
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i second the massaging...it works wonders for me...as well as getting plenty of sleep, that helps me alot too

when i first started running, i was doing 5 days a week (my work week) and doing intervals of a minute each at a slow(?) pace, or it felt slow to me...i'd do that for a few weeks, then try 2 minutes run, 1 minute walk intervals...etc...ive always done intervals because of my asthma, it's very hard physically to push my lungs beyond some form of interval...i once ran 2 miles straight without stopping and paid dearly for that LOL

i still run 5 days a week (work days) and although i may be sore some days, i can deal with that through massage, good stretching, good sleep etc....warm ups and cool downs are important too
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #8  

Thanks, I will try massaging. I hope I'll be able to beat my 20 minutes soon and hopefully by next summer be confident enough to run outside
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I use c25k Ive learn to run in 7 weeks with the program
At first you're like no way I can't but it really does work
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

To be honest, this sounds bio-mechanical to me.
Tendonitis, flat feel, over-pronation, supination, any combo of the above.

I would go to a specialty running store as soon as you can and have them analyze your running gait and natural foot alignment, etc. Running shoes are designed to help over correct any abnormalities.
Myself, i have a very neutral gait, but i have ridiculously high barbie doll arches, which results in pretty bad tendonitis in my calves (posterior tibial tendonistis) actually, and only the correct type of shoe/insert helped with that. the WRONG shoes exacerbated the pain and inflamation
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:54 AM   #11  

Exercise and a healthy, well-balanced diet are both crucial for weight loss. Running with HIIT burns the most calories. If you don't exercise after being inactive for a while, you'll start to burn calories, which will cause your diet to include fewer calories. Find a workout you like doing so that you can keep the weight off. You're unsure about where to start. Step outside your car and begin strolling. Set short, attainable goals, like 15 minutes per day, and work your way up to 30 minutes per day in total. Do not attempt to walk 10,000 steps per day if you are currently only taking 2,000 steps daily. Start with 2,000 to 3,000 steps per day and then raise it gradually every day.

timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote