Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #1  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up Please help me understand my stats...

Ok, so after many years (ok about 4, but I've been generally active my whole life) of doing some moderate weight lifting, and lots or cardio, and eating healthy...(not to mention having been over weight my entire life). I had a session with a personal trainer today at my very fancy new gym. He measured my body fat % with the electronic impulse thing (which I assume is decently accurate) I am at 42% body fat, and I weigh 215 pounds. According to his and my calculations I have 124 pounds of lean mass, which seems pretty high but makes sense with my body having developed with so much excess weight to carry, and because I have been working out hard and all sorts of ways for the past 4 years. Ideally I would want to be 24% body fat (although I don't know what that looks like on me, I want to look fit, but not lean or gamey)...so that means I have to lose about half of my current body fat (which in total seems to be about 90 pounds) that leaves me (to be safe) losing 50 pounds total at around 165. I suppose that's heavy for 5'2" (more than 20 pounds heavier than I intended to be) but I really do not want to lose my lean mass. The trainer says that's a good place to be, and he swears that he could help me lose that fat while maintaining almost all my lean mass...Idk if he just wants to make money. Anyway, does that make sense to you guys? Can anyone help me validate that? Thanks
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #2  
Just watch me ...

Anyone can make promises (I can't validate the math). Some things to consider:

1. What is his training? Qualifications?

2. How does he propose to get you to 'goal'? clean diet? supplements? gimmics?

3. How often does he intend to meet with you?

4. How does he look? Does he look like someone who works on his body and cares for it? Or does he just have muscles - there's a difference, you know, does he have a bright complexion and attitude?

5. How much are you prepared to outlay in time and money at this point? Many folks have gotten great results going it alone, or with monthly consultation with a trainer or other expert.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #3  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Sorry, I don't understand what you want us to help you "validate" exactly...can you clarify?
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #4  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Yeah, I'm a bit confused too.

But here's the bottom line: if you keep lifting weights for exercise, eat at a calorie deficit, and get plenty of protein, you will lose fat and maintain (most) of your muscle.

If you want the trainer to help with your workouts, go for it. If not, work out on your own using one of the millions of programs available on the web and in highly regarded books (such as the New Rules series).
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

One thing you'll have to remember is that while you'll maintain muscle mass when you use weights, you will still lose some. You simply won't need all of it when you're smaller.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #6  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Validate, as in does that make sense to you, does it seem like it could be correct? I know you don't know me you can't see me as I am now or anything like that, but with the information provided. He is a certified personal trainer, (which is more than I can say for myself) had the sense to actually do a body composition test on me (which is more than I can say for countless doctors I've seen about my weight). He is not going to tell me to take supplements, maybe make me more informed of my protein needs or what to eat directly after my work outs. I def can use more direction when it comes to lifting (even though I have read the new rules for women book) because cardio is my specialty. My diet aside from that is still up to me. He looks fit, he certainly doesn't look like someone focused on the aesthetic of body building or something like that. How often I see him and all that will be entirely up to me, he wasn't pushy and I wouldn't put up with someone like that. I'd like to go monthly or biweekly probably. Thanks chickies.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #7  
Just watch me ...

I think it's really up to you, then. My only real question is where did he get his certification...sometimes gyms certify their own trainers, some trainers are certified by large certification associations, some have studied human physiology/etc in school...but if you like his vibe and have the money/time to see him every couple of weeks you could always give it a try, keeping your options open, of course.

Last edited by Exhale15; 06-26-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #8  

Don't worry, you'll be able to maintain your lean mass through a good resistance training program as you decrease your bodyfat! And depending on the way your resistance training program is setup, you can choose to gain more lean muscle mass if you want! (Just a matter of changing your program + macronutrient content of your diet)
NateC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #9  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I wouldn't worry how the trainer looks, but how his clients look and feel, how long they've been with him, whether his style of training seems like a good fit for you. If it seems good, give it a go for a month, see how it goes, like a working interview, and reassess from there.

As for the math, I'm guessing you'll end up a little lower than that, but it depends how your body responds to lifting, how much muscle weight you retain or add, etc. Just as an example, I am in the same sized clothes at 165 now (with lifting in my program) as I was at 135 in my 20s (with cardio only), and I look way, way, way better (except for being old, lol).
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote