Women that lift Thread!!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Just wanted to create this thread as ive been lifting for few months and im getting back in to it and really enjoy it , i train with my partner.
    Just wandered if there is an yothers who do this and if you wana join this thread to chat and pass tips /advice /experiences and just make friends with similar interest x
  • I'm new to lifting so I'm starting with BodyPump classes 
  • Ah fab, ive been doing t for about 5 months on and off so need to get more committed but they have a body pump class at my gym and have been thinking about giving it a go x
  • I'm going tues & thurs at 5:30am and Saturday at 8am if we are home (which is almost never!)

My cardio is now slacking but I'll get moving again 
  • I went last night after having over a week off (never again)
    Done Back & Biceps feeling it to today but thats a good thing. Tonight its chest & triceps x
  • What do you do for Triceps? I suck at dips lol I really like laying barbell tricep extentions
  • Hi ladies!

MrsH - I also really like the "skullcrusher" Laying tri extensions.

I am gearing up for a round of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've been lifting regularly but need a bit more structure to my routines for now.

• Oooh I like that name much better!! Skullcrushers 
  • Don't forget about good ol' push-ups! Even if you can't do regular push-ups now, a great way to ease into them is to perform them on a slightly vertical surface (like a bench), and as you get stronger move to more and more horizontal surfaces...til your bangin' out those bad boys right on the ground. Yeah, your friends will be impressed Just think of push-ups as "moving planks".

Also, I see women doing push-ups incorrectly a lot. Make sure when you are doing them that your elbows come back at a 45 degree angle, don't let them flare out. It's a bit harder at first, but it puts A LOT less pressure on your shoulders and will make sure you don't hurt yourself in the long run.

Good luck!
  • Quote: Don't forget about good ol' push-ups! Even if you can't do regular push-ups now, a great way to ease into them is to perform them on a slightly vertical surface (like a bench), and as you get stronger move to more and more horizontal surfaces...til your bangin' out those bad boys right on the ground. Yeah, your friends will be impressed Just think of push-ups as "moving planks".

Also, I see women doing push-ups incorrectly a lot. Make sure when you are doing them that your elbows come back at a 45 degree angle, don't let them flare out. It's a bit harder at first, but it puts A LOT less pressure on your shoulders and will make sure you don't hurt yourself in the long run.

Good luck!
    BodyPump instructors have us do them elbows tucked in/45• 

I have to try the incline!! I can almost do a real one yay
  • Quote: BodyPump instructors have us do them elbows tucked in/45• 

I have to try the incline!! I can almost do a real one yay
    That's great! Keep up the good work! Once you get one good push-up, it isn't too long til you get more than one. They build upon each other pretty quickly.
  • Hi I've been doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women, (NROL4W). I have 2 workouts left in stage 6. Really loving it. I'm going to do the NROL4 abs next.
  • Hey all I started a weights plan a friend of mine (former bouncer) made me 4 weeks ago. It's full body (18 exercises-3-4 sets of 15 reps per) with cardio bursts and abs 3x a week and then cardio 4x a week.

I haven't stuck to any lifting programs since college (aka before my kids) and I forgot hot much I loved it.
  • Sheramama -- That's awesome! Glad to hear you're enjoying training again. I gotta say, it makes you feel kinda..hmm...powerful (that's the word I'm looking for!), right?

What kind of exercises are you doing?

Random note:
    The human body only moves in six different ways:
    Vertical pushing (e.g. military press)
    Vertical pulling (e.g. pull-up)
    Horizontal pushing (e.g. push-up)
    Horizontal pulling (e.g. body row)
    Hip dominant (e.g. deadlift)
    Knee dominant (e.g. squat)

Strength trainers out there -- are you hitting all six of these planes regularly in your training?
  • In a session I do (all with ankle weights on-right now 6lb on each):
    15 min cardio-eliptical
    Flat Dumbbell Fly
    Exercise Ball Front Raise
    Exercise Ball Military Press
    Tricep Extension
    One Arm Bent Row
    Kettle Bell Squats
    Kettle Bell Pendulum Body Lunges
    5 min cardio (Either Jillian Michaels cardio kickbox or fat blaster)
    Exercise Ball Crunches
    Lateral Raises
    Flat Dumbbell Press
    Modified Push ups (I can only do plank push ups right now)
    Upright Row
    Underhand Bent over Row
    Exercise Ball Bicep Curl
    Seated Leg Lifts
    Laying Hamstring Curl
    15-45 min eliptical (depending how tired I am)
    Crunches