Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #1  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Just got that New Rules of Lifting For Women book..

Hi, all. I'm new to lifting. The most lifting I've ever done are on the machines at YMCA. I'm kinda of nervous to up and change what I've been doing, you know? It worries me that I won't see and results and such. Are the YMCA machines bad? I don't mind using this book at all, that's fine. I just want to see a change..
I usually alternate days doing cardio and weights. My calorie intake is 1400. And I have strong legs, but they are wide, just like everything else on me. I just want to see some results changing it up
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

The machines are bad--and not particularly effective. Read the book and then decide if you want to do the program.

If you follow the program and keep your diet on track, you will see results.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I have not read the book, but in response to the weight machines, I am having great luck with them. I avoid the free weight dumbbell section at my gym since its male central and awkward. However I don't mind it since I just stick with the machines and they are working for me!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

The problem with machines is that they don't work your entire body and you can injure yourself quite easily on them!

If you lift some dumbbells you are working your whole body, which means you get more bang for your buck. In fact, you can work your abs without doing crunches or planks this way. Two days after I had done some HEAVY lifting...my abs were sore and I had not specifically targeted my abs at all!!

My favorite thing to do is deadlift—it works just about every part of your body in one move.

Don't be afraid to lift in the free weights section of the gym And ignore anyone who tries to discourage you from lifting heavy because you'll "bulk up." All of the women used to do that to me at my gym, but I ignored them and now they see what weight lifting has done for me and they're all starting to lift more, haha!

I haven't used the book; I just do my own thing. It doesn't matter WHAT program you do—weight training is very good for you!

Read the book and jump on over to the New Rules thread over here Those folks are very passionate about the program and are seeing results.

Last edited by sontaikle; 03-21-2012 at 11:59 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #5  
On the slow track.

Some of the machines are downright dangerous, as well as unnatural. For example, the leg extension machine is a real problem: firstly, why would you ever need to lift your leg along that plane--squatting is way better and more functional; and secondly, it is so bad for your knees!

Just ignore the men and go and claim your space in the free weight section.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I have the New Rules book on order and am also a super noob. I don't mind cardio but am looking to include strength training. I would like my body to be as "compact" as possible as I have a medium to large frame already working against me!

That said, I'm looking to purchase some basic equipment to work out at home. I found a set that includes:

2 20-pound weights
4 10-pound weights
4 5-pound weights
6 locking spring clips
2 dumbbell bars
1 4-pound straight bar

I know I probably can't do anything with the 20lb weights but my DH can. Would this set get me very far or would it be a waste of $75?? Should I get this an supplement with other basic items such as...?? (maybe 2.5 lb weights for my sissy arms!)

Sorry for my noobie noob questions, just anxious to get started but don't want to waste money in the process. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by XLMuffnTop; 03-22-2012 at 12:19 PM.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #7  
On the slow track.

You're not going to need 2.5lb weights. I'd be more worried about what happens when 20lb becomes too easy: for some of the exercises, that will be too light fairly quickly! (I bet you could do one-armed rows with 20lb right now!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gOYkpfT9Hc
Old 03-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Understood. I may not have been clear that this set (on craigslist so I may be able to get it cheaper) is the weight plates so all weight can be adjusted. I just don't know what kind of weight I can lift at the moment so I'm looking for kind of a "starter" thing and don't mind adding more if necessary. I think I'd have to purchase way too much if I got dumbbells that are one solid piece like in the video you linked. My husband would like to join me in working out so he may have to buy a few more 10 or 20 pound plates right off the bat for whatever he can handle. His weight needs and mine are vastly different so adjustable = good at this point.

I just want to get started but with my schedule can't take time out to go to a gym. I have to fit exercise in at weird times throughout the day.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #9  
On the slow track.

You might as well go for it. You'll probably grow out of it, but if you can add more plates, that will be just fine. Do it!