Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 09:19 AM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down BFL/BB #92 - week of 3 Mar 2003

Hey there everyone!!!

A hearty Hello to Jonda Welcome to our little group! Say Howdy to Rich (he's welcome here as well - we like seeing some testosterone here at 3FC every now and again! )

Today was my first day back at the gym since my surgery (see the previous thread if you don't know what the heck I'm talking about). Did a REALLY LIGHT CARDIO workout on the elliptical for 10 minutes - then a light upper body workout (based on one of Draper's 'getting started' workouts - only I left out the leg press and leg extensions. I did do calves though). I am still wearing the garment for at least one more week so I didn't want to sweat all over it. FELT GOOD to be back! The bruising is almost gone - I still feel a little numbness and soreness in some small areas but I massage every evening.

The renovations in our apt are just about done - all that's left is the windows and finishing up the yard. Since I've basically spent the past three weekends at home recouping - I had CABIN FEVER big time so yesterday Jim and I went on a long drive through the Coastal Range (Skyline, Saratoga, Santa Cruz). The only problem was after awhile the winding roads (25 miles of hairpin turns ugggh) started getting to me. Jim loves driving those kind of roads but my tummy can't take it (no, we weren't going fast - I just don't have the stomach for it). It was nice getting out for a few hours though, beautiful day yesterday to boot. I think I'll be riding again starting this coming Saturday. I have REALLY missed my horses.

Beth - tips on keeping the food budget reasonable...let's see - I always buy on sale - every so often Safeway sells boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.99 to $3.99/pound (of course you have to buy a big lot of them...) I buy a bunch, then divvy 'em up into Ziplocs with some key lime juice or other marinade and freeze them - the night before I just toss one in the fridge to defrost. I used to buy those IQF boneless skinless chicken breasts bags - but they are too salty for me, especially now that my surgeon has told me to cut my sodium way back. Eggs are always on sale at Safeway - generally it's buy one get one free on the 18-egg cartons. Egg Beaters or egg substitutes are the most expensive way to go - I know it's tough to toss the yolks sometimes, but still it's cheaper than buying egg beaters (I generally do the 4 whites + 1 whole egg - that way I use less eggs than doing all whites).

Fruits and veggies I always buy IN SEASON if they're fresh and ON SALE if they're frozen. Actually I buy lots of frozen veggies - I like the chopped onions and the southern cut hash brown potatoes (or Potatoes O'Brien). I checked the nutritional status vs. 'plain' potatoes and they are basically the same, besides being easier to measure! If you have a local Farmers' Market in your area - check it out, they generally have good deals on produce, and it's organic to boot (well around these parts anyway).

Hope that helps-gotta hit the showers!
Old 03-03-2003, 11:38 AM   #2  

WOW MrsJim-you are really doing well! I'm happy to hear that you are leaving renovation ****.

Beth-pretty neat we are in the same time frame-my husband is doing the 12 weeks with me as well. My food budget went down a great deal. I have three kids and they are eating clean with us. No chips, cold cereals, and soda made a big difference. Of course we got a new store here named Aldis and I have been saving a bundle shopping there-I can get whole grain bread, canned tuna, canned green beans, frozen chicken breasts, and lean ground beef at a huge savings. One thing I did do was to find a local butcher and I have saved a great deal by going straight there instead of the main grocery stores. I tried to find a local fresh fish market but unfortunately here in Memphis there isn't one to be found. The fish at the grocery store is........just gross to be nice about it. Those would be my suggestions-find a canned food outlet, bakery, butcher, and fish market along with a farmer's market and you should see a BIG savings. It is a lot more running around to do, but you can save some of the hassle by buying in bulk and storing or freezing as you come along savings. I hope this helps.

I'm still not hitting my 10's and it is getting to the point where my wrists are too weak to handle the weights-I use all free weights since I train at home. Is there a good exercise for this? I haven't found anything online yet. Another thing bugging me is this. I'm not getting the maxed out muscle fatigue, but my muscles are tired. Does that make sense? My husband suggested to me to back down a little bit on the weights and up my reps some. Any further advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Tidey-I checked out the recipes and I couldn't find anywhere what protein to use for cooking. I'd really like to have some of those muffins stashed for a quickie meal. I have the myoplex light (creamy chocolate-gag, and the cappuccino). Is there one for the creamy chocolate around? I'd like to bake that one away as it reminds me of trying to drink pudding or something-I can't stand it.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:43 AM   #3  

Default GOOD MORNIN'

Well, Karen! Nice to hear you're doing well.

Hello to everyone!

I just got back from the gym where I did a UBWO. I wanted to change my WO starting this week, but fell asleep on the couch @ 8 PM last night! Didn't get that done, so stayed with old routine. I need to start doing a split I think. I want to start doing more than one exercise per body part. When I did, I gained strength and overall I felt better - like I was DOING something! So, what kinds of splits are you guys doing?

This weekend was nice, Mike was off and we hung out all weekend. I used to spend every Sat & Sun either alone or w/ my girlfriends, but Mike's schedule has changed since his new job started. He is now an Investigator. Which I like better than him being 'on the road' as a street cop. UG! I knew when we met he was a cop, but he was assigned to the Gov and wasn't out stopping bad guys. Now, with the state's budget wows, they cut the staff and were going to send him back to the road. GULP! But, he got an investigator position and all is well!

I learned something yesterday. Although I don't pigout for free day, I still must eat clean. I wanted chocolate for a treat yesterday, so we got some and I had a few pieces (6 maybe) and bg was way too high. Also, I did have some pasta last week as a carb for 1 of my meals and it sent the bg high as well. I figured it's because it's so refined it converts to glucose faster. Even soy pasta does. Maybe I'll try whole wheat and see how that goes.

Have a good day!!!!!

Suz
Old 03-03-2003, 01:33 PM   #4  
Mel

Default Quickie post

Gotta run to the gym but wanted to say hi!

Niffer- Try the ww pasta. When I had gestational diabetes, that was the only kind I ate, and have been eating it since. Didn't really seem to spike bg levels. Just keep your portions small.

mamawren- look into wrist straps. Netrition or most sporting goods stores sell them. They are cheap cotton straps ( under $10) that you slipp your wrists thru, then wrap the tail end around the weight. It allows you to use a much heavier weight than you could otherwise, and not be constrained by grip strength. I can't really explain how to wrap them here. PM me if you need help.

off to the gym,

mel
Old 03-03-2003, 01:58 PM   #5  

Thanks for the welcomes everyone,
THings are going a lot better here. I've moved from being depressed and weepy to completely pissed off. I guess thats an
improvement.
I might have a lead on a house to rent, living in my mothers basement is a bit crowded. The house is 2 blocks from the gym
I'm using, can't be any handier then that.
MrsJim- hope you get feeling well soon!
Mamawren- I have the same problems with my wrists, I don't have the answer but I can commiserate.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:35 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Actually I'm feeling great - just felt like ca-ca yesterday. It's not like Jim was pretending to be filming a BMW commercial...just all those TURNS. The Coastal Range is gorgeous though - those tiny towns (Boulder Creek, Ben Lomond) along with all the lovely redwood trees...

I think being PO'd is better than depressed and weepy. Living near the gym is great - I also live two blocks away from mine. If I actually had to DRIVE to the gym in the morning...ugh...

Niff - your SO is a cop? Jim isn't one, but he has it in the genes. His Dad was in law enforcement his whole life - second- or third-generation cop. I'm glad Jim didn't decide to pursue that path - though he'd be good at it, the hours would really bite. He does love watching Cops and World's Wildest Police Chases though!

Hey Mel - saw your post on loose skin at L&S and added a couple of thoughts...which probably came out sounding like a crazy woman!

Back to work - more later chicks!
Old 03-03-2003, 07:29 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Hello Girls,

I've been working these days... Last Thurs, Friday and today...... I love to work but darn, it just cuts into my internet time... Iworked in a school today where I had to start at 7:45 so I had to leave the house at 7:30...so I put my alarm on for 4:30AM, and was at the gym at 5AM out by 6....

Niffer: I do a six day split... One body part per day... legs twice/week... I told you about the Hugo Mass Leg workout... Totally kick a** workout!! Try it you like it!! To finish off legs you do 8 sets of 20 reps standing calf raises...OOOOUUUUCH!!!! ... I also love Hugo's arm workout... I get soo pumped when I do his workouts...Most of his workouts are supersets or trisets, you do 6 sets of 3 or 4 exercises ... Dave Draper's Site has alot of good stuff ....

Jonda: Being PO'd is a good thang... but watch that blood pressure.. Glad to see things are looking up for the family...

I have to cut this short D wants to use the net... later...

Lana...
Old 03-03-2003, 07:51 PM   #8  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Hey guys,

I found a great recipe in this months issue of Cooking Light. It is Grilled Chicken w/ Fruit Salsa. I think the recipe is worth the price of the magazine and there is another recipe that I plan to try which looks BFL friendly, a curried pork loin.

I grilled chicken as well as lean ground round on Sun. so I have lots of protein in the house.

You first challenge bflers are setting the house on fire. You are keeping me motivated with your enthusiasm.

Spring is typically a diet slump time of year for me, so I am working extra hard to combat this old way. Today I feel on top of the game. I have decided to give splits another try and I think this time I am ready for the change.

My first challenge was stellar, this second one has been more of a struggle but I am already looking forward to C3.

Last edited by ledom; 03-04-2003 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:54 AM   #9  

I participate in a Cooking Light yahoo group; we format CL recipes for Mastercook each month and that recipe was one of mine so I figure I'd post; I agree, it does sound good.

Laura
still lurking sorta

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grilled Chicken with Fruit Salsa

Recipe By :Sarah Parslow
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dishes Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Chicken:
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice -- (about 4 lemons)
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh ginger -- peeled and minced
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
6 (6-ounce) skinless boneless chicken breast halves
cooking spray
Salsa:
1 1/2 cups cubed pineapple
3/4 cup cubed kiwifruit -- (about 3)
3/4 cup coarsely chopped orange sections
1/2 cup chopped peeled mango
1/2 cup diced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 small jalapeno pepper -- seeded and chopped

To prepare chicken, combine the juice, soy sauce, ginger, lemon pepper, and
garlic in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag; seal and shake
to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning once.

Prepare grill or broiler.

Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. place chicken on grill rack or
broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 5 minutes on each side or until
chicken is done.

To prepare salsa, combine pineapple and remaining ingredients, tossing
gently. Serve with chicken. Serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 1/2 cup
salsa.

Calories 257 (9% from fat); Fat 2.6g (sat 0.6g, mono 0.6g, poly 0.6g);
Protein 40.9g; Carbohydrates 16.7g; Fiber 2.7g; Cholesterol 99mg; Iron 2mg;
Sodium 683mg; Calcium 49mg

Source:
"Cooking Light March 2003 page 172
Old 03-04-2003, 10:03 AM   #10  

Talking hey everyone !!

it's great to see everyone around here!

Karen - wow !! you just amaze me woman ! great to hear that you're up and about and into the gym already. keep up the greatness!!

Jonda - welcome ! it IS much better to be pissed off than depressed. it means that you're on your way to healing from that horrible ordeal ! good luck with the house hunting. just keep doing what you've been doing because it seems to be the perfect thing to do -- be strong !

Niffer - i got your email but i've been swamped. thanks soooooooooooooooo much for the offer. i'll write you, okay? you're the best !!!!!!!!

i've been soooo busy lately. i have no idea how i got myself into this situation. i guess bumming around the past month did it now i'm paying the price

i've taken a few days off from the gym. resting my body a bit and designing a new workout. it's been a full 6 months since i started this wonderful lifestyle and i've really had only one other week off........ so this is good for me. i'll probably be back in the gym either tomorrow or thursday.

food has been wonderful. i can't even remember what i used to eat before i started working out. these few days off from exercising have been a great boost to my own determination of staying with the program no matter what. it's just so natural now for me to eat clean ALL THE TIME ! who would have thought i would be like this in 6 short months

okay, not it's time to hit the computer again. i have tons and tons of html pages to lay out and a whole new site to design, about three weeks ago the client is starting to get a bit antsy and i'm starting to get nervous since there is now an approaching deadline.

take care everyone. have a great day

adriana
Old 03-04-2003, 03:55 PM   #11  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey guys *yawn*

Well I am so tired from studying at the moment. I have a corporate finance exam on Saturday and my semi-final for soccer tonight. I think it's the first time that I am not looking forward to soccer in my life! I am just so tired.... and I don't have time to rest .... urgh.....

I hope that everyone is doing ok and is looking forward to warmer weather for all you Norhtern hemispherers!!

JC
Old 03-04-2003, 05:18 PM   #12  

whoa!

spend some time away from the board ant it takes forever to catch up!

mamawren: you shouldnt use Myoplex in the muffins as it contains carbs (meal replacement drinks do) you need to use something like EAS Simply Protein or just plain Whey protein powder (I use vanilla and chocolate and it tastes fine). I had pretty good results, and I'd never cooked with the stuff before You may want to add extra "flavoring" to the recipies (i hate blandness heh) with more vanilla, banana extract, spices etc.

Sounds like everyone is making progress! Awesome!

Im off to bed, hope to post more tomorrow!

Tidey
Old 03-04-2003, 09:14 PM   #13  

Red face my eyes are slammin' shut!!!

Jeez, what the heck is going on? I'm SO tired I HAD to leave the mall and go take a snooze in the car! Out like a light for 1/2 hr.
I don't feel like eating, posting here, working out or ANYTHING. I don't feel like I am getting a cold. I feel like I have lead running thru my body...............I'm off to bed.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:36 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Busy day today...

so just now getting 'round to posting.

I want to put in two cents about a topic at L&S that's been getting a lot of chat - the Camp Pam B. Program. I gotta admit to you all first off - I have been feeling less and less a part of things there at L&S...and that's okay. I'm not saying that there isn't some valuable info to be had there - there's a LOT and I wouldn't hestiate to recommend it as reading to the newbies. Also, my job has been taking more of my time lately, and I would rather concentrate what spare time I have to our BFL/BB board here at 3FC

Besides, if I can confess my lipo surgery to y'all I guess I can let it all hang out here!

ANYWAY as most of you know, I did two stints of CPB last year - so I can consider myself a firsthand source of info. Basically - CPB is a competition diet. If you are shooting for a competition, or a wedding, whatever, it might be what you are looking for - but be prepared because the effects are very temporary and short-term from what I have personally experienced and others who I have discussed this subject with have experienced...Don't get me wrong, Pam is an inspiration to many folks...but that doesn't mean that her diet is necessarily going to work for you.

One of the things that really appealed to be about BFL was the LIFESTYLE CHANGE aspect of it, that you could have a free day/free meal once a week if you wanted, not having to measure portions except by 'eyeballing' stuff. After all this time doing the weight thing, one of my main priorities is making this second nature - getting away from the binge eating and yo-yo dieting of the past. Unfortunately CPB does not assist in this IMO - by such severe restriction (typical of comp diets) you are setting yourself up for the inevitable binge eating situation - i.e. eating disorder.

In addition, I am a strong advocate of slow weight loss - as Michael Fumento says so eloquently in Fat of the Land:
Quote:
Get Thin Slowly

...certainly it's better to stay down [in weight] once you're down. And apparently one "secret" to doing this is to go down slowly.

Wayne Callaway, M.D., notes that marketing studies conducted by one weight-loss organization found that, when dieting, most woment expect to lose between 2-3 pounds a week and most men expect between 3-5 pounds a week. If this expectation is unmet, dieters will discontinue the program by the 3rd week. Not for nothing do you hear slogans like Slim-Fast's "Give us a week and we'll take off the weight".

"To remain financially successful, commercial operations try to meet this expectation, even when they know that most of the early weight loss is from water and that a water retention cycle will eventually follow," says Callaway. "Virtually all the experts - from the Surgeon General to well-respected popular health and nutrition writers such as Jane Brody...agree that diets designed to meet these expectations always fail over the long term."

Remember that virtually any diet can cause you to lose weight; the real problem is keeping it off. With that in mind, choose a regimen that emphasizes not speed but permanency. While one often hears that no more than 2 pounds a week should be lost, it appears even this is toomuch for most people who are not extremely obese. (Obviously, the fatter you are, the less of an overall percentage of your fat 2 pounds is. So with some people, 2 or even 3 pounds might be OK.)

George Blackburn, MD, chief of surgical nutrition at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, is considered one of the nation's foremost authorities on weight loss. He suggests that you begin by aiming to lose no more than 10% of body weight at the rate of no more than a pound a week. Only after maintaining that loss for 6 months and recieving permission from your physician, he says, should you attempt to take off another 10%.

In my case, after I began writing this book I initially lost 14% of my weight, which struck me as a good goal since it brought me to the weight that I was at when I joined the army at age 18. So I went a bit overboard, perhaps, but not by too much. In any case, it brought me down to a good, healthy weight. Then I went conservative and held that weight not for 6 months but for a whole year before trying to drop more. Then I said, "Congratulations, you did it. Now it's time to try and reach your ultimate goal, which is to be not only healthily slim but downright athletic." I'm not advising that for all my readers. But this was what I wanted for myself and I did it.

The main reason to aim for slow weight loss is because you are seeking to permanently change your eating habits. The calorie deficit you create should be close to what will be your permanent calorie level and certainly no lower than 1,200 to 1,300 calories. The further you go below this, the more likely you are to suffer from hunger - and nothing defeats a weight-loss regimen more quickly than hunger.

Another big advantage of slighter reductions in calories is that evidence indicates you may lose somewhat less muscle this way than with sharper calorie restrictions...

Very low-calorie diets may be necessary for those few cases where people need to lose a lot of weight quickly because of serious health problems, such as the need for surgery. Other than this, I believe they have little going for them - though all too many doctors continue to recommend them to patients. Studies comparing the two types of weight loss regimens have found that you definitely get more bang for the buck with less caloric restriction. That is, you lose more fat off your body per calories reduced with milder restriction. Consider severe energy restriction as a jackhammer while lesser restriction is more like a hammer and chisel. You can break up rock more quickly with the jackhammer, but more to your liking with the delicate instruments.
Hopefully y'all get what I'm saying here.

Gonna put on my armor and have something to eat now! Later everyone!
Old 03-05-2003, 01:39 AM   #15  

Wink Karen - were you reading my mind??

that's just incredible how you've put into words a lot of my thoughts lately.

i have taken this week off just *because* - by *off*, i mean from the gym, ONLY the gym. i have found myself eating squeaky clean and not even thinking of *other* foods like i would have 6 months ago. i have amazed myself

i lost a whole lot of fat in the last 6 months, a good part of being from september to january. the past two months have been much slower as far as fat loss, but they have been sooooooooo much better as far as really getting engrained in this whole lifestyle, especially the good eating.

i am SOOOOOOOOO happy with what has happend to me on the inside, the mental, the physical & the emotional.

as i was coming home this morning from driving my daughters to school i said to myself "it REALLY doesn't matter at all how long it takes for all the fat to come off, what REALLY DOES matter is that i've learned how to eat properly and how to exercise for my BENEFIT" meaning - not just for weight loss.

i also have been following the discussion over on L & S these past few days and i think that's what got me to thinking about all of this again. i see a few people there just pushing themselves too much, on the border of hurting their bodies and their mental state too. it makes me both sad and mad. but what can you do with people who just want to keep at it, regardless of what their bodies are telling them??

once again, i really appreciate your candor, your strength and honesty, and your ability to put it all into words.

it's good to be here with you

take care,

adriana

Last edited by adriana; 03-05-2003 at 01:42 AM.
Closed Thread